Question re: Personal Time Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
monalisa

New

Question re: Personal Time

Post by monalisa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:04 pm

For current attorneys & past summers:

Do you think it's safe for me to book weekend trips or weekday dinner plans during a summer associate program? Not trying to send the wrong message to the firm, but would love to still have a personal life, if possible. I am working in DC in corporate at a V35.

Thanks for any advice!

Mullens

Silver

Re: Question re: Personal Time

Post by Mullens » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:08 pm

monalisa wrote:For current attorneys & past summers:

Do you think it's safe for me to book weekend trips or weekday dinner plans during a summer associate program? Not trying to send the wrong message to the firm, but would love to still have a personal life, if possible. I am working in DC in corporate at a V35.

Thanks for any advice!
Just wait until you get your summer schedule so you know there aren't any pre-existing conflicts and you should be fine.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:56 pm

If you have specific weekends (weddings, etc.) that are particularly important, you can communicate early about that weekend (still more as an inquiry about having that weekend available than asking for the weekend off).

Otherwise, wait for the schedule and wait a couple weeks to figure out your general work flow and when you can plan weekends/friends dinners.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:43 pm

You will be able to have a personal life just fine as a summer, but don't plan it yet.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:28 pm

I am concerned about OP's comments. Does she/he really think dinner with friends and weekend trips are more important than the SA? If so, I don't think his/her head is in the right place or they don't grasp the opportunity they are being given. There are thousands of other students out there that would kill to be in your position and be given this kind of opportunity. And you want to make dinner reservations with friends? Jesus Christ!!!
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:44 pm

You'll be fine. Plenty of time to have dinners with friends and go on weekend trips. I did it all the time.

Don't be so stressed out about it that you don't have a life. Have fun and enjoy the summer associate experience, that's what it's meant for.

And take some extra satisfaction knowing that people like Kelly Frost would give anything to have it, and couldn't.

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:57 pm

kellyfrost wrote:I am concerned about OP's comments. Does she/he really think dinner with friends and weekend trips are more important than the SA? If so, I don't think his/her head is in the right place or they don't grasp the opportunity they are being given. There are thousands of other students out there that would kill to be in your position and be given this kind of opportunity. And you want to make dinner reservations with friends? Jesus Christ!!!
Yeah, god forbid OP have friends and want to see them... What a crazy concept

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:59 pm

kellyfrost wrote:I am concerned about OP's comments. Does she/he really think dinner with friends and weekend trips are more important than the SA? If so, I don't think his/her head is in the right place or they don't grasp the opportunity they are being given. There are thousands of other students out there that would kill to be in your position and be given this kind of opportunity. And you want to make dinner reservations with friends? Jesus Christ!!!
They never said dinner and trips were more important than the SA. You should probably relax.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:37 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:You'll be fine. Plenty of time to have dinners with friends and go on weekend trips. I did it all the time.

Don't be so stressed out about it that you don't have a life. Have fun and enjoy the summer associate experience, that's what it's meant for.

And take some extra satisfaction knowing that people like Kelly Frost would give anything to have it, and couldn't.
:roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:58 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
They never said dinner and trips were more important than the SA. You should probably relax.

You should lock this thread. I'm sure this topic has been covered somewhere before. If so, I'm sure someone can bump the old thread.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:51 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

You should lock this thread. I'm sure this topic has been covered somewhere before. If so, I'm sure someone can bump the old thread.
Or this person can ask here because it's a totally appropriate use of the forum, and, again, you should probably relax.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:20 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
Yeah, god forbid OP have friends and want to see them... What a crazy concept
In fairness, it likely is a crazy concept to tlsers.
-she says, as she posts alone on her couch, on a weekend

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:34 pm

I don't really get this. Most SAs involve pretty minimal work. It's not as though hoping to plan around one shows any kind of lapse in priorities.

Edit: this is existentialcrisis, accidental anon.

TheLaw2015

New

Post by TheLaw2015 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:32 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”