Dumb Question: College Student Newspaper renamed, How do I reflect this on Resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
gaddockteeg

Bronze

Dumb Question: College Student Newspaper renamed, How do I reflect this on Resume?

Post by gaddockteeg » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:05 pm

My undergrad student newspaper renamed itself. It wouldn't be a big deal normally but I was the editor in the chief (many years ago) so I like keeping it on my resume.

Any suggestions on how to reflect this name change? I don't want future employers looking it up and not finding anything.

merde_happens

New

Re: Dumb Question: College Student Newspaper renamed, How do I reflect this on Resume?

Post by merde_happens » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:13 pm

You could just put something like

Editor-in-Chief, The New Name Reporter (formerly The Old Name Reporter).

But frankly this seems like a useless item on the resume, unless you're like k-JD still in law school with no other experience.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Dumb Question: College Student Newspaper renamed, How do I reflect this on Resume?

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:19 am

[tweet][/tweet]
merde_happens wrote:You could just put something like

But frankly this seems like a useless item on the resume, unless you're like k-JD still in law school with no other experience.
I totally disagree that this is useless. Certain college roles should remain on resume, imo. It can be as simple as:

Big State U
Bachelor of Arts - Worthless major
Big state u newspaper - editor in chief

JGMotorsport

New

Post by JGMotorsport » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:44 am

I worked for a firm that changed names.

I do

New Name (fka Old Name)

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:54 am

JGMotorsport wrote:I worked for a firm that changed names.

I do

New Name (fka Old Name)
I think I've most frequently seen this:

Old name (new name)

Or

Old name (now new name)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:10 am

Good advice here that you should follow.

Will you he writing about this position in your cover letters?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:24 am

RaceJudicata wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

I totally disagree that this is useless. Certain college roles should remain on resume, imo. It can be as simple as:

Big State U
Agreed. EIC of a college paper is a huge responsibility and essentially a full time job. Definitely worth keeping on a resume as a bullet under undergrad.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:02 pm

blahblewblah wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:[tweet][/tweet]

Big State U
Agreed. EIC of a college paper is a huge responsibility and essentially a full time job. Definitely worth keeping on a resume as a bullet under undergrad.
Exactly. Should drop nominal activities (e.g., fratertiny, club, etc.) but some things remain worthwhile. A few that come to mind are varsity athletics, student government (with a legitimate role) and this, president of a school wide publication.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:27 pm

Thanks everyone! I've gone with:

College Name
Degree name
Editor in Chief, New Name (fka Old Name).
kellyfrost wrote:Good advice here that you should follow.

Generally, no. But I did apply to some clerkships that requested highlighting relevant editing/writing experience in the posting. For those covers, I did add it. Any suggestions on this front?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 9:35 am

does it really fucking matter and will anyone really give you much more deference because of this anytime after OCI, no. Will anyone really care during OCI, no.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:does it really fucking matter and will anyone really give you much more deference because of this anytime after OCI, no. Will anyone really care during OCI, no.
Great use of anon.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon May 01, 2017 9:38 am

gaddockteeg wrote:Thanks everyone! I've gone with:

College Name
Degree name

Generally, no. But I did apply to some clerkships that requested highlighting relevant editing/writing experience in the posting. For those covers, I did add it. Any suggestions on this front?
Since they requested editing and writing experience, I think it was a good idea to highlight in the letters. Otherwise, it is probably fine just on the resume.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 10:57 am

kellyfrost wrote:

College Name
Degree name

Since they requested editing and writing experience, I think it was a good idea to highlight in the letters. Otherwise, it is probably fine just on the resume.
It's filler on a resume. Drop it the first time you need extra space.
It can be far more useful in a cover letter, if, as you say, they require editing and writing experience.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Mon May 01, 2017 11:52 am

College Name
Degree name

I don't know if you're finding it hard to keep your resume to a page, but if you are, I'd point out that it's not unusual for people to have multiple resumes that they tailor to different experiences. So if you'd benefit from more room on the non-clerkship resume to talk about relevant experience, consider making two resumes (one with the EIC position on the resume and one without) that you then further cater to the respective types of positions you're applying to.

As for the letters, EIC of the paper sounds like a good way to demonstrate editing/writing enthusiasm. Definitely include in the letters for the clerkships, IMO.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”