M&A Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

M&A Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:43 pm

Incoming summer associate here. I will be working at a V50 firm in NYC this summer, and I'm hoping to receive an offer to join their M&A group post graduation. Is there any advice TSLers can give me on how to do well and make a great impression? Anything I can do or read prior to starting that will give me a leg up?

M&A is a really competitive practice group at this firm--I hear that most summers gun for it.

Thanks!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: M&A Advice

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Incoming summer associate here. I will be working at a V50 firm in NYC this summer, and I'm hoping to receive an offer to join their M&A group post graduation. Is there any advice TSLers can give me on how to do well and make a great impression? Anything I can do or read prior to starting that will give me a leg up?

M&A is a really competitive practice group at this firm--I hear that most summers gun for it.

Thanks!
Just the normal summer stuff of show up to social events and do good work.

Print the document out and read it by hand before you send it. There should never be typos.

ALWAYS send a redline when you make changes to a document or when they give you a precedent and you conform it to your deal.

Kind of know what is going on in the M&A market. Law 360 has a good M&A alert. Just know the deals that are out there and who is counsel to whom. Don't just randomly say to a partner or an associate "did you read about [_______] deal" because you will sound like a horrible d-bag.

I'll update as I think more about it.

Anonymous User

Re: M&A Advice

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:46 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Incoming summer associate here. I will be working at a V50 firm in NYC this summer, and I'm hoping to receive an offer to join their M&A group post graduation. Is there any advice TSLers can give me on how to do well and make a great impression? Anything I can do or read prior to starting that will give me a leg up?

Thanks!
Just the normal summer stuff of show up to social events and do good work.

Print the document out and read it by hand before you send it. There should never be typos.

ALWAYS send a redline when you make changes to a document or when they give you a precedent and you conform it to your deal.

Kind of know what is going on in the M&A market. Law 360 has a good M&A alert. Just know the deals that are out there and who is counsel to whom. Don't just randomly say to a partner or an associate "did you read about [_______] deal" because you will sound like a horrible d-bag.

I'll update as I think more about it.

Thanks!!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”