Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

Minnietron

Silver

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by Minnietron » Mon May 22, 2017 8:41 pm

Mickfromgm wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Mickfromgm wrote:While I appreciate good fashion, I must point out that since over 95% of SA's get an offer, it could be deduced that fashion sense doesn't matter at all. Also, look at senior associates and partners as a group - a pretty sad looking bunch. :)
What if 95% of SAs follow TLS fashion advice? Or even 90 and the rest are HCCN?
You haven't seen SA's in the wild, have you? :)
I take back my conjectures. I had my first wild-SA viewing today. If representative of SAs as a whole, maybe 10% followed standard fashion advice. It was amazing.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Mon May 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Minnietron wrote:
Mickfromgm wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Mickfromgm wrote:While I appreciate good fashion, I must point out that since over 95% of SA's get an offer, it could be deduced that fashion sense doesn't matter at all. Also, look at senior associates and partners as a group - a pretty sad looking bunch. :)
I take back my conjectures. I had my first wild-SA viewing today. If representative of SAs as a whole, maybe 10% followed standard fashion advice. It was amazing.
Please describe most egregious offenses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 10:12 pm

How do I handle the fact that I may be interviewing for post-grad clerkships? Is it something I should feel I have to keep on the down-low? A partner was telling me how much he recommends clerking and I felt weird saying that its something I am actively looking into, bc as an SA the thought is I am also actively trying to get post-grad employment at my current firm.

I also feel odd talking to recruiting about it because the chances of me getting one are very slim to begin with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 10:39 pm

deleted

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Mon May 22, 2017 11:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do I handle the fact that I may be interviewing for post-grad clerkships? Is it something I should feel I have to keep on the down-low? A partner was telling me how much he recommends clerking and I felt weird saying that its something I am actively looking into, bc as an SA the thought is I am also actively trying to get post-grad employment at my current firm.

I also feel odd talking to recruiting about it because the chances of me getting one are very slim to begin with.
At my firm at least, clerking is highly encouraged. In fact, there's a ton of folks who clerk after doing a year or two at the firm, and I've heard nothing but positive feedback for them doing so.

I can't imagine it would be something you would need to hide.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Mon May 22, 2017 11:41 pm

stannis wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Mickfromgm wrote:
Minnietron wrote:
Please describe most egregious offenses.
This was not over this summer - but at OCI. Far and away the biggest wtf I've seen was a guy wearing a pretty standard suit - with patent leather shoes, shined up like he was going to prom or something.

Definitely did a double take.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue May 23, 2017 12:07 am

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue May 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Do i need to reply to every email I get from a lawyer if just to say ok got the email or can I just not respond if no immediate response is needed

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue May 23, 2017 4:57 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Do i need to reply to every email I get from a lawyer if just to say ok got the email or can I just not respond if no immediate response is needed
Use your judgement. Depends on the email and the lawyer. Responding with a "Will do" never hurts so I'd err on emailing but opinions may differ.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue May 23, 2017 5:03 pm

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Tue May 23, 2017 5:04 pm

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 pm

I personally don't care but goddamn everyone does it anyway so no one will hold it against you.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Will do. Thanks.

^like half of my sent emails are just that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Tue May 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Send the "Will do." People appreciate it.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Tue May 23, 2017 5:41 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Martin Brody wrote:No news is fine. Lawyers are unbelievably bad at giving feedback. That goes double for summers. When you complete a few weeks/projects, just go ask someone.
Yeah, this. Don't expect anyone to go out of their way to give you feedback. You often have to go seek it out. I'd also suggest not just popping in an office asking for feedback on the spot. Shoot the person an email asking for a few minutes (like 15) to briefly discuss. This will give them a chance to actually read your work product.
yeah I only had one person when I was a summer offer feedback after an assignment. Radio silence from the rest unless I asked--providing feedback to SAs is not on the radar of most lawyers

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Tue May 23, 2017 9:01 pm

sublime wrote:Will do. Thanks.

Glad to hear that, will have to adjust. I had been avoiding it due to not wanting to contribute to inbox flood with basically nothing.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 23, 2017 9:09 pm

Joscellin wrote:

Glad to hear that, will have to adjust. I had been avoiding it due to not wanting to contribute to inbox flood with basically nothing.
Yea, I was worried about that too, but enough people send will dos and enough people expect it that imo it's definitely the default. Of course, if somebody asks for something different, do that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue May 23, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 23, 2017 9:31 pm

Day 2 already losing firm equipment here's to hoping key fobs aren't expensive

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 pm

Joscellin wrote:I had been avoiding it due to not wanting to contribute to inbox flood with basically nothing.
not a good mindset to have in this industry. peoples inboxes are already flooded. rainmakers get 1k+ emails every day.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 pm

Anyone else had moments of panic where they think back to conversations they've had and worried they came off horribly?

I'm either doing this horribly wrong or exactly right. The worst part is having no idea which one it is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Wed May 24, 2017 12:13 am

I've been lucky so far with regards to feedback. Associates who assign me work often give me track changes etc... to show what they changed. Got an assignment from a rainmaker and talked about it afterwards unsolicited.

I figure if people basically stop giving me work that would be a bad sign.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Wed May 24, 2017 9:47 am

sublime wrote:
Joscellin wrote:

Yea, I was worried about that too, but enough people send will dos and enough people expect it that imo it's definitely the default. Of course, if somebody asks for something different, do that.
Agree. I think it's always better to send "will do" than radio silence (unless it's a tiny question that you can simply respond to). People like confirmation that you have received the assignment/question and you will be looking into it. In fact, I think the flooding inbox cuts the other way: people get concerned that their assignment/question is lost in the shuffle if you don't reply at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 24, 2017 11:33 am

Does anyone else just hate it? I feel guilty admitting it because of the paycheck, but biglaw is definitely not for me.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed May 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else just hate it? I feel guilty admitting it because of the paycheck, but biglaw is definitely not for me.
You've either been at it for two days or seven days, so hold your horses.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”