Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 7:31 pm

Woman here. Are blue suit skirt sets ok for business professional? I mean royal blue, not navy. Found this really nice-looking set, and I don't think it'll be a problem and I'm tired of black and grey.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Mon May 01, 2017 7:35 pm

This thread is already so good

Also I didn't know about the AE student discount and that's just great goddamn news. I've been riding the same J&Ms since 2013 and it's time to step it up.

Excited to get going but crazy that it's in a week
Last edited by RSN on Mon May 01, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon May 01, 2017 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Woman here. Are blue suit skirt sets ok for business professional? I mean royal blue, not navy. Found this really nice-looking set, and I don't think it'll be a problem and I'm tired of black and grey.
What city are you working in?

accessislife

Bronze

Post by accessislife » Mon May 01, 2017 7:50 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Woman here. Are blue suit skirt sets ok for business professional? I mean royal blue, not navy. Found this really nice-looking set, and I don't think it'll be a problem and I'm tired of black and grey.
I also think this is firm and practice area specific (and day specific - no royal blue in court, at least not yet)

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Mon May 01, 2017 7:52 pm

dylicious wrote:Do NYC firms give you a metro card when you get there, or do they reimburse you? Trying to decide if I should buy a monthly pass when I get there or wait for the first day. Don't wanna waste 100 something bucks.
Bumping this. Does anyone have more info? A monthly pass is pretty expensive, but I'm not sure if it's something firms pay for.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon May 01, 2017 7:57 pm

axel.foley wrote:
dylicious wrote:Do NYC firms give you a metro card when you get there, or do they reimburse you? Trying to decide if I should buy a monthly pass when I get there or wait for the first day. Don't wanna waste 100 something bucks.
Bumping this. Does anyone have more info? A monthly pass is pretty expensive, but I'm not sure if it's something firms pay for.
In my experience they don't. If you are worried about it just grab a weekly pass until you find out. Iirc, you can just load a month onto a normal card at a machine any time so it really is not a big deal to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 8:00 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
--
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon May 01, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 8:01 pm

accessislife wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
I also think this is firm and practice area specific (and day specific - no royal blue in court, at least not yet)
Well I'm a 1L, will be the only 1L there... without trying to out the firm, I'll say that it's pretty big but the culture seems chill. Business casual attire is the norm, unless working with clients or going to court. I'm mainly asking for this first day where we have to wear business professional. The suit set I'm talking about looks really nice.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon May 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
accessislife wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Well I'm a 1L, will be the only 1L there... without trying to out the firm, I'll say that it's pretty big but the culture seems chill. Business casual attire is the norm, unless working with clients or going to court. I'm mainly asking for this first day where we have to wear business professional. The suit set I'm talking about looks really nice.
For the first day wear black or grey. It's just one day and you don't want that one partner thinking "we told her professional yet she still wore blue." Blue is game any other day, but if you are worried about it, don't do it (that should be your general rule for the summer--if you are worried about it, do not do it."

All of that said, men should not wear a black suit at any time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:13 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 8:14 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
accessislife wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
For the first day wear black or grey. It's just one day and you don't want that one partner thinking "we told her professional yet she still wore blue." Blue is game any other day, but if you are worried about it, don't do it (that should be your general rule for the summer--if you are worried about it, do not do it."

You're right. Although it really *shouldn't* be a problem, there can always be a problem found if someone is looking hard enough. I will still get the suit but maybe for some other occasion. Guess I'll stick to good ol' black with a blue collared shirt or something and pantyhose :? . Any reason why black is ok for women but not men?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 8:17 pm

NYC2012 wrote:A royal blue suit on the first day is not appropriate, I don't care what market you're in or how nice it looks. My opinion. People really don't value playing it safe enough. Reminds me of the girl who wore a ruffly brown skirt suit to OCI with 3/4 length sleeves that had a giant slit up the back. I don't think she was successful.
Lol brown is an ugly and frumpy color so I would not have worn that any way. I asked because I have been told by successful summer associates who have offers that NAVY is ok for women, so I wanted to see how far off blue was. Nothing wrong with clarifying :D

NYC2012

Bronze

Post by NYC2012 » Mon May 01, 2017 8:20 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon May 01, 2017 8:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
accessislife wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

You're right. Although it really *shouldn't* be a problem, there can always be a problem found if someone is looking hard enough. I will still get the suit but maybe for some other occasion. Guess I'll stick to good ol' black with a blue collared shirt or something and pantyhose :? . Any reason why black is ok for women but not men?
No clue. I know why it's not ok for men, but not why it is ok for women. When it comes to these professional rules, I haven't really cared to ask "why" many times as there is no point in trying to break them, as you have little to gain and much to lose.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 10:52 pm

If my firm has a litigation group outing and I have zero interest in doing litigation, should I go?

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Mon May 01, 2017 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If my firm has a litigation group outing and I have zero interest in doing litigation, should I go?
Is there a corresponding corporate group outing?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon May 01, 2017 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If my firm has a litigation group outing and I have zero interest in doing litigation, should I go?
If yours is like most firms, a practice group summer outing is a sacred bond, an oath forged in blood. There's no coming back from that. You'll be a lit guy til the day you die.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 am

EncyclopediaOrange wrote:
Is there a corresponding corporate group outing?
yes

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 am

Do you want to meet other lawyers at your firm? Are you invited?
What will you do if your firm only places you in litigated.
What better use of your time do you have rather than spending time with your summer class and firm partners?

So my conclusion is yes go unless you aren't invited. You can't reject your colleagues just because you don't want to be a litigator. Also, you want a job offer. Never lose sight of that.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue May 02, 2017 7:42 am

NYC2012 wrote:You're right, brown and royal blue are totally different (and I'm sure the blue is attractive), but neither are the boring black/grey/navy that you should be wearing on a first day (for women).
Bingo. Boring is the goal.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:17 am

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
accessislife wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:

No clue. I know why it's not ok for men, but not why it is ok for women. When it comes to these professional rules, I haven't really cared to ask "why" many times as there is no point in trying to break them, as you have little to gain and much to lose.
I can answer this. My last career was in fashion, as a stylist/personal shopper so lawyers (and other professionals) literally paid me to tell them what to wear.
The reason black suits are not ok for men is that it is what men wear to funerals and what funeral directors wear. There is not a similar "stigma" for women, because women don't wear business suits to funerals. Women may wear black to a funeral, but the stereotypical/quinticential attire for a woman at a funeral is a black DRESS. So, if you show up in a black business suit, no one will think you are on your way to a funeral.

The reason navy skirt suits are taboo for women is they remind people of a flight attendent. However, this is easily remedied by wearing something other than a plain white or light blue button up cotton shirt. For example, even a nice ivory silk blouse prevents a navy suit from evoking the image of a flight attendent. Obviously, you also shouldn't wear a scarf around your neck, because that would really look like a flight attendent, but why would you do that anyway?

As far as royal blue, I assume you mean a brighter, medium (not light, not dark) shade of blue. This will make look like a REALTOR (aka Phil Dunphy on Modern Family).

Basically, when you are a lawyer - especially when you are appearing in court - you want to look the part. You do so by wearing a lawyer custume. Any client, lawyer, or lay person who sees you should immediately be able to guess you are a lawyer.

BTW, I am female and in Boston, if that helps.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 am

To really seal the look though ladies you need one of those barrister wigs that British judges/lawyers wear. Nothing says "lawyer" more than that.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Tue May 02, 2017 9:17 am

B90 wrote:
Basically, when you are a lawyer - especially when you are appearing in court - you want to look the part. You do so by wearing a lawyer custume. Any client, lawyer, or lay person who sees you should immediately be able to guess you are a lawyer.
Usually I just rely on the look of sadness and despair.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 am

MCFC wrote:
B90 wrote:
Usually I just rely on the look of sadness and despair.
That works too. However, if you are also sporting an oversized, polka dotted bowtie and/or a red rubber nose, you are sending mixed messages.
Remember, juries are easily confused.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Tue May 02, 2017 11:22 am

hm this is not a safe zone

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”