Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

Johann

Diamond

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by Johann » Sat May 27, 2017 12:54 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Gray wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else nonplussed at how arbitrary work distribution is? I know folks who just sit and read the WSJ all day and others who are working all weekend. The disparity is pretty nuts.
Is this work distribution or distribution of gunnerism/anxiety?
seems to be a mixture of both at my firm
we have basically a library of summer assignments that summers can check out. we tell them check out 1 for the first one cause (1) there arent a whole lot of assignments to go around and (2) dont want them overwhelmed. couple of summers checked out 3+ assignments. lol at these gunners.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sat May 27, 2017 8:17 am

Johann wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Gray wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else nonplussed at how arbitrary work distribution is? I know folks who just sit and read the WSJ all day and others who are working all weekend. The disparity is pretty nuts.
Is this work distribution or distribution of gunnerism/anxiety?
seems to be a mixture of both at my firm
we have basically a library of summer assignments that summers can check out. we tell them check out 1 for the first one cause (1) there arent a whole lot of assignments to go around and (2) dont want them overwhelmed. couple of summers checked out 3+ assignments. lol at these gunners.
We had a compatriot announce to the SA class that they couldn't socialize because they are doing work this weekend. (The firm highlights socializing.)
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sat May 27, 2017 9:35 am

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat May 27, 2017 11:13 am

Gray wrote:I know someone who has already pulled an all nighter. LIKE WHY THO?
It may be different at firms with working summers, but a summer doing that already did it to themselves/ wants to be doing that.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Sat May 27, 2017 11:15 am

I have already made fun of a summer for staying past 5:00 pm. I think the message sunk in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sat May 27, 2017 11:21 am

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 27, 2017 11:25 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat May 27, 2017 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Best job ever, but I wish I had food on weekends.
Buy food, Hikko.

nick417

Bronze

Post by nick417 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:32 am

sublime wrote:
It may be different at firms with working summers, but a summer doing that already did it to themselves/ wants to be doing that.
I bet the SA was thinking "damn I am doing good/important work." And the associate/partner is thinking what pointless assignment can we give to a SA that we cannot bill to a client.

I will say though, you do not want to be the person who turns in an awful work product though. And if working all night is the only way to ensure that your work product isn't bad, then I guess you have to do it. But if you're working all night as a SA ... it will be a struggle when you're an associate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BasilHallward

Silver

Post by BasilHallward » Sat May 27, 2017 11:34 am

My wallet has been collecting dust. I'm hungry and waiting for an email from recruiting.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat May 27, 2017 11:55 am

sublime wrote:
Buy food, Hikko.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

(seriously, though, you're getting paid however-the-fuck-many thousands of dollars this summer, your complaint is awful.)

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sat May 27, 2017 12:07 pm

nick417 wrote:
sublime wrote:
I bet the SA was thinking "damn I am doing good/important work." And the associate/partner is thinking what pointless assignment can we give to a SA that we cannot bill to a client.

I will say though, you do not want to be the person who turns in an awful work product though. And if working all night is the only way to ensure that your work product isn't bad, then I guess you have to do it. But if you're working all night as a SA ... it will be a struggle when you're an associate.
I think I'm going to have to do some work this weekend not because it's taking me a long time to do these assignments but because there's so much shit going on during the week (trainings, summer events, coffees, lunches, dinners, etc.) that I don't have time to actually sit down and get the work done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 27, 2017 1:51 pm

A partner told me that when he summered he came in every weekend...

Because he was too hungover during the week to get anything done.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Sat May 27, 2017 1:55 pm

GoneSouth wrote:
nick417 wrote:
sublime wrote:

I think I'm going to have to do some work this weekend not because it's taking me a long time to do these assignments but because there's so much shit going on during the week (trainings, summer events, coffees, lunches, dinners, etc.) that I don't have time to actually sit down and get the work done.
Is your deadline Tuesday? If not, I don't see the point.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat May 27, 2017 2:22 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
sublime wrote:
Buy food, Hikko.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat May 27, 2017 2:24 pm

nick417 wrote:
sublime wrote:

it would be a major red flag to me if a summer could not finish the work assigned to them in reg business course days and had to pull all nighter. plus as a summer, the gol really is herd mentality (do whatever everyone else is doing without standing out) and meet your peers.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sat May 27, 2017 2:58 pm

There are several summers who show up before 8 everyday and leave after 6. Like what are these people even doing? It was the first week.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

accessislife

Bronze

Post by accessislife » Sat May 27, 2017 7:44 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:There are several summers who show up before 8 everyday and leave after 6. Like what are these people even doing? It was the first week.
these people should probably try to go to the gym before or after work instead of just sitting there faking it - TRYING TO AVOID THE SUMMER 10 so hard (I'm halfway there already bc finals..and laziness)

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat May 27, 2017 9:08 pm

If they are in NY they might just have a shitty apartment with no A/C

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat May 27, 2017 9:34 pm

I don't know who they're trying to impress because there are no attorneys in the office that early

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Sat May 27, 2017 9:42 pm

seriously people those SAs clearly just hate their douchey roommate and don't have friends IRL or a paycheck to spend in the bars yet. I bet you all $1 they'll stop after they get their first big check.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 27, 2017 9:56 pm

I dunno, it really does seem like some people just get screwed and have deadlines that force them to stay late/come in on the weekends. Some folks are just gunners who want to work like a dog for some reason, but some of it is just getting staffed on a bad assignment. Seems like lit summers get screwed more often.

NYC BigLaw with centralized staffing here. The disparity is really bizarre.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun May 28, 2017 12:27 am

Lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 28, 2017 12:41 am

Definitely don't consider myself a gunner and I had to spend 14 hours on an assignment one day last week. Stayed up till 3, deadline was the next day. Pumped out a 6 page double spaced memo. Don't see how it could have been done faster - my assignment was to look at a 20 page filing from 10 years ago and update the caselaw (so it was basically a research assignment for every issue in the filing wrapped into one). For what it's worth, I'm at a firm in a non-NYC market.

I think some people just get unlucky.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sun May 28, 2017 9:48 am

I just found out a friend received an assignment via email on Saturday. Partner wanted more research with a Sunday deadline.

While I assume most SAs staying late are gunnery, there are SOL outliers.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”