Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue May 02, 2017 11:58 am

B90 wrote:
MCFC wrote:
B90 wrote:
Basically, when you are a lawyer - especially when you are appearing in court - you want to look the part. You do so by wearing a lawyer custume. Any client, lawyer, or lay person who sees you should immediately be able to guess you are a lawyer.
Usually I just rely on the look of sadness and despair.
That works too. However, if you are also sporting an oversized, polka dotted bowtie and/or a red rubber nose, you are sending mixed messages.
Remember, juries are easily confused.
Maybe litbros are too cool for this, but around these parts we have a Pagliacci outfit for first years who fuck up sig blocks.

trramic

New

Post by trramic » Tue May 02, 2017 4:30 pm

How many allowances should I be looking at if my spouse works? Should I play it safe and just do 1?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue May 02, 2017 4:33 pm

trramic wrote:How many allowances should I be looking at if my spouse works? Should I play it safe and just do 1?
If you want to make an interest free loan to the government, just do 1. You'll get it back at tax time.

Otherwise just google "IRS withholding calculator." Make sure to do the one on the IRS website. It will ask you a series of questions and then spit you out a number.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue May 02, 2017 4:52 pm

Didn't withhold last summer. Mistake. Definitely withhold.

We can withhold state income taxes too, right? I still haven't gotten my state income tax refund.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 1:05 am

Over/under of pages devoted to whether to wear a suit on the first day?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Over/under of pages devoted to whether to wear a suit on the first day?
Laugh all you want, but I'll be wearing a suit every day.

It's important as the junior person in an office to convey that you take the position seriously, and that starts with dress.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed May 03, 2017 1:23 am

Suit on first day is fine, so is non-suit if it's stated as business casual but you shouldn't keep wearing a suit if nobody else is, that just makes you look odd.

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Wed May 03, 2017 1:43 am

in general (at a non-working aka cravath/wlrk SA), how many nights should we expect free?
checking the events calendar, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much as people have made it seem to be, but i've also been told that a lot of the happy hours/lunches are impromptu and that lunches will be happening nigh everyday so i'm not sure how many nights i should expect free

mt2165

Silver

Post by mt2165 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:44 am

candidlatke wrote:in general (at a non-working aka cravath/wlrk SA), how many nights should we expect free?
checking the events calendar, there doesn't seem to be nearly as much as people have made it seem to be, but i've also been told that a lot of the happy hours/lunches are impromptu and that lunches will be happening nigh everyday so i'm not sure how many nights i should expect free
Summer last year in NYC. I would say you'll have at least a couple of events every week and possibly another/couple of impromptu happy hour/drinking event(s) with associates or other summers. At least half, and probably more of my nights were free.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 3:47 pm

Starting my summer clerkship at Hawkins Parnell in Austin, TX!

2L from a private school in TX with grades around median.

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Over/under of pages devoted to whether to wear a suit on the first day?

It's important as the junior person in an office to convey that you take the position seriously, and that starts with dress.
Also pretty important to convey basic comprehension of office policy and practice. If office policy is business casual then it is not a secret test where they're challenging you to figure out that they really want you in a suit. They want you to respond like a normal human being.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed May 03, 2017 4:29 pm

snowball2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also pretty important to convey basic comprehension of office policy and practice. If office policy is business casual then it is not a secret test where they're challenging you to figure out that they really want you in a suit. They want you to respond like a normal human being.
If you wear a suit every day in a business casual office, you sir, are a fool. And yes, people will talk about you and discuss how weird your behavior is. And they will be right. Shit, in my SA office, the attorneys (associates and partners) ragged on a partner who wore a suit every day.

tyrant_flycatcher

Bronze

Post by tyrant_flycatcher » Wed May 03, 2017 6:01 pm

mt2165 wrote:
candidlatke wrote:in general (at a non-working aka cravath/wlrk SA), how many nights should we expect free?
Summer last year in NYC. I would say you'll have at least a couple of events every week and possibly another/couple of impromptu happy hour/drinking event(s) with associates or other summers. At least half, and probably more of my nights were free.
Posting to add that I had every Friday night free, and I believe that's common among firms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 6:23 pm

looks like I'm doing lit for first half of summer. Excited to get started but also nervous for long memos.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Wed May 03, 2017 6:36 pm

how many suit-required events (court hearings/client meetings) did former SAs have? Is it like 3 times roughly for 10 weeks, or more like 10?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed May 03, 2017 6:45 pm

clshopeful wrote:how many suit-required events (court hearings/client meetings) did former SAs have? Is it like 3 times roughly for 10 weeks, or more like 10?
3 if you're lucky.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 7:05 pm

If everyone I interviewed with at a CB had a standing desk, will they no-offer me for not requesting one as well? Should I be training for standing for long periods now in order to prepare myself for the summer?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Wed May 03, 2017 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If everyone I interviewed with at a CB had a standing desk, will they no-offer me for not requesting one as well? Should I be training for standing for long periods now in order to prepare myself for the summer?
standing desks typically are electric and go from seated-height to standing-height so you dont have to stand all day lol

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed May 03, 2017 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If everyone I interviewed with at a CB had a standing desk, will they no-offer me for not requesting one as well? Should I be training for standing for long periods now in order to prepare myself for the summer?
Request a treadmill desk so they know you mean business

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed May 03, 2017 7:49 pm

damn i hope they offer me a standing desk that'd be awesome

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed May 03, 2017 7:50 pm

clshopeful wrote:how many suit-required events (court hearings/client meetings) did former SAs have? Is it like 3 times roughly for 10 weeks, or more like 10?
0 last summer. not lit tho. keeping one in your office is probably the right call if you think there will be opportunities to go to suit-required events.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 03, 2017 9:02 pm

clshopeful wrote:
standing desks typically are electric and go from seated-height to standing-height so you dont have to stand all day lol
That's crazy! Do you have to stop by a Tesla charging station on your way to work and charge the desk? Will I need to bring a generator? Does Allen Edmonds make generators?

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
clshopeful wrote:
That's crazy! Do you have to stop by a Tesla charging station on your way to work and charge the desk? Will I need to bring a generator? Does Allen Edmonds make generators?
I almost spit up my breakfast laughing at this.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu May 04, 2017 9:12 am

LoganCouture wrote:
0 last summer. not lit tho. keeping one in your office is probably the right call if you think there will be opportunities to go to suit-required events.
In lit...I had about three that we pre-planned (i.e. partner emailed me a few days before asking if I'd like to join). Also had one last minute court appearance that they asked me to join on - it was during first week or two and didn't have suit in office ready to go. Bad look, but thankfully it was just an associate who was cool about it... so definitely have one ready to go.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Thu May 04, 2017 3:19 pm

For guys, why not just wear a suit without a tie to the office? If your office has a casual atmosphere you can always just take your jacket off once you get to work. You can stash a few ties at the office in case you need them and not have to worry about ever being under-dressed.

I don't really see why that wouldn't be the play. Are people just dying to wear khakis or what?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”