Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:19 pm

Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:11 pm

Going to a client-organized charity event in the near future. Seeking tips on how not to make a fool of myself.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Going to a client-organized charity event in the near future. Seeking tips on how not to make a fool of myself.
The same as any other day of the week? Clients have less immediate impact on your career than the lawyers at your firm as a summer associate so you should probably not worry more than you do in your normal interactions

OneShot2009

New

Post by OneShot2009 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone else feel exhausted at the end of the work week? I'm an introvert, though force myself to be social and outgoing when I'm at work. At the end of the week I am so tired that even on the weekend I sleep in, chill all day, and still am tired by 11pm. Anyone else like this?
I'm an extrovert, I'm super outgoing...And I still feel this exact same way. Its not just you, don't worry!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:57 am

OneShot2009 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone else feel exhausted at the end of the work week? I'm an introvert, though force myself to be social and outgoing when I'm at work. At the end of the week I am so tired that even on the weekend I sleep in, chill all day, and still am tired by 11pm. Anyone else like this?
I'm an extrovert, I'm super outgoing...And I still feel this exact same way. Its not just you, don't worry!
i think its only natural. i was pretty exhausted after work too my first two weeks and have been getting a little better. i remember as a 1L feeling pretty wiped after class and when i started new jobs feeling the same way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:12 am

Martin Brody wrote:If you're not getting you're lunch paid for every day you're doing something terribly wrong.
Are allotted free lunches normal in NYC? I'm in a non-NYC office and we have no limits. A partner actually bitched at me for buying my own lunch the other day and I'm pretty sure he was being serious.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Martin Brody wrote:If you're not getting you're lunch paid for every day you're doing something terribly wrong.
Are allotted free lunches normal in NYC? I'm in a non-NYC office and we have no limits. A partner actually bitched at me for buying my own lunch the other day and I'm pretty sure he was being serious.
I'm sure he was. The main point of the summer is to let he firm show you a good time. Why would you not let them pay for your lunch?

AceofSky

New

Post by AceofSky » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Anyone have GroupMes or other group chats with the summer group? Anyone have had anything interesting happen to either you or a summer? seeking some juicy gossip :twisted:

user has been outed for posting in the legal employment forum as a 0L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have GroupMes or other group chats with the summer group? Anyone have had anything interesting happen to either you or a summer? seeking some juicy gossip :twisted:
My summer group had a GroupMe (this was 2015). Seemed a little weird/fratty at the time but was otherwise a cute bonding opportunity with the class.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:59 pm

Martin Brody wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm sure he was. The main point of the summer is to let he firm show you a good time. Why would you not let them pay for your lunch?
Oh I normally do. I just only had a few minutes to eat on this particular day because I was rushing to meet a deadline.

ausimpv

New

Post by ausimpv » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:18 pm

AceofSky wrote:Anyone have GroupMes or other group chats with the summer group? Anyone have had anything interesting happen to either you or a summer? seeking some juicy gossip :twisted:

user has been outed for posting in the legal employment forum as a 0L

lmaoooo

user has been outed for using anon to make a non-substantive post.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 pm

definitely working too much

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:10 am

Does anyone know the protocol for interviewing during an SA for other firms/clerkships/government? As in what you tell the firm when you are requesting a day off?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the protocol for interviewing during an SA for other firms/clerkships/government? As in what you tell the firm when you are requesting a day off?
Doctors appointment if for another firm or government. Tell them the truth if it's for a clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:22 am

Martin Brody wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the protocol for interviewing during an SA for other firms/clerkships/government? As in what you tell the firm when you are requesting a day off?
Doctors appointment if for another firm or government. Tell them the truth if it's for a clerkship.
ok perfect that's what I thought.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:47 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:definitely working too much
Also have needed a suit 2-3 days a week so far. Only owning one suit has been workable but two would've been better

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:41 pm

How many Michelin stars does everyone have under their belts so far?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:41 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:50 pm

Anyone else hate it? I'm in a smaller market. Only 2 SAs at the whole firm. No baller lunches/dinners, the one event we've had was boring with low turnout from associates and partners, and they're grinding me work-wise.

I'm a 1L so will have other options but I'm worried about a no-offer based on not fitting in with the firm's culture.

All actually helpful advice is much appreciated.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else hate it? I'm in a smaller market. Only 2 SAs at the whole firm. No baller lunches/dinners, the one event we've had was boring with low turnout from associates and partners, and they're grinding me work-wise.

I'm a 1L so will have other options but I'm worried about a no-offer based on not fitting in with the firm's culture.

You're probably fine. Remember, you work for lawyers. I can't tell you how many times I have been bamboozled by lawyers who I think hate me, but actually like me and think I'm doing a good job (which I find out months later indirectly). Plus you're a summer and nobody expects anything from you except for you to try hard and have a good attitude. Grind it out and look elsewhere.

But I hate to be the bearer of bad news, even though you got unlucky with regard to your summer experience, this is how real life is at most firms. You grind out lots of days and there aren't many fun events going on. So consider other options besides a firm if it'a really not for you, as opposed to just being disappointed in your summer expectations.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else hate it? I'm in a smaller market. Only 2 SAs at the whole firm. No baller lunches/dinners, the one event we've had was boring with low turnout from associates and partners, and they're grinding me work-wise.

I was the anon from a few pages ago who asked the same question. I hate it too - I am at a pretty good/selective firm in a major market. The work is fine, the people are fine, and the events are fine, but it's definitely not the job for me. If I do get an offer, I will be declining. The good news is some jobs I really do want are starting to open up apps, so at least I have something to work towards.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many Michelin stars does everyone have under their belts so far?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :) 8)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:20 pm

I've never been to a summer reception but the invites came in. Other than being a normal human being and not being desperate af, any advice on how to make the event worth it?

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've never been to a summer reception but the invites came in. Other than being a normal human being and not being desperate af, any advice on how to make the event worth it?
Eat and drink a lot. But seriously, practice talking to lawyers, see what's on their mind. That's what will help you for OCI.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:17 pm

malibustacy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've never been to a summer reception but the invites came in. Other than being a normal human being and not being desperate af, any advice on how to make the event worth it?
Eat and drink a lot. But seriously, practice talking to lawyers, see what's on their mind. That's what will help you for OCI.
I never went to any of those events, just always felt too forced to socialize, awkward, and having little to no chance of creating a job opportunity. I think the real benefit is just to practice talking/communicating

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”