Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu May 25, 2017 6:31 pm

Said something pretty dumb to partner on an important commitee at a cocktail party so good to know I got the thing I can stress about every waking minute the rest of the summer out of the way early

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu May 25, 2017 6:36 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Said something pretty dumb to partner on an important commitee at a cocktail party so good to know I got the thing I can stress about every waking minute the rest of the summer out of the way early
Summer associates cease to exist the moment they are not in visual range of a partner. Partners have no objection permanence for Summers.

So you're fine! Probably!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 6:56 pm

Is taking 10 hours to research and write a 4 page memo too long for an assignment recommended to take 6-8 hours and still needed to be edited and ran by the partner to make sure its what he wants before you submit a final copy...I feel like I've gone over the time but I still have a whole day before its due (Well he actually wants it on monday but I'd like to not work over the holiday weekend). Its my first assignment, guess I'm paranoid for taking so long.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Thu May 25, 2017 7:12 pm

How do I stay late so I can cop a free dinner once in a while when I have nothing better to do without being pegged as that gunner summer. I swear I'm slacking real hard.

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Thu May 25, 2017 7:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is taking 10 hours to research and write a 4 page memo too long for an assignment recommended to take 6-8 hours and still needed to be edited and ran by the partner to make sure its what he wants before you submit a final copy...I feel like I've gone over the time but I still have a whole day before its due (Well he actually wants it on monday but I'd like to not work over the holiday weekend). Its my first assignment, guess I'm paranoid for taking so long.
Nobody will care if you spent "too long" on something if it's turned in on time. In my experience, turning something in early also means it better be perfect. Also, the recommended time isn't a big deal, and the assigning attorney usually just ballparks a number based on how long they'd expect an average associate to spend on it, without giving it much thought.

Take however much time you need for it to be well-written, free of typos, and responsive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu May 25, 2017 7:42 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Said something pretty dumb to partner on an important commitee at a cocktail party so good to know I got the thing I can stress about every waking minute the rest of the summer out of the way early
Tell us what you said!!!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu May 25, 2017 7:58 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Tell us what you said!!!
I just abruptly exited a group conversation to go mingle with other people and said something along the lines of "I'm going to move on" and he seemed pretty offended

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Thu May 25, 2017 8:03 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:How do I stay late so I can cop a free dinner once in a while when I have nothing better to do without being pegged as that gunner summer. I swear I'm slacking real hard.
Go the f home. Don't NY people get to go out to dinners? Just find some associates willing to take you out. Seamless is bad and depressing.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Thu May 25, 2017 8:12 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:How do I stay late so I can cop a free dinner once in a while when I have nothing better to do without being pegged as that gunner summer. I swear I'm slacking real hard.
Spend a bit of your giant paycheck on some halal cart food as you leave at 5:30.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 8:36 pm

If I started on 5/22 and my first paycheck is supposed to be on 5/30, will I get paid for the week of 5/22-26? Running low :(

AmericanEagleee

New

Post by AmericanEagleee » Thu May 25, 2017 9:38 pm

^Started on the 22nd also, was told we wouldn't get a paycheck since the pay period ends tomorrow; so instead will receive 3 weeks of pay on the next one. Sucks because I, similarly, am poor.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 11:03 pm

already feeling kind of overwhelmed since I have like 5 ongoing projects right now, some small and quick, others long term.

Also, anyone else having paranoia over not finding the perfect answers for research projects? Feel like a failure when I report back and say "DIdn't find anything, but here's something somewhat related that is probably of no use"

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Thu May 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:already feeling kind of overwhelmed since I have like 5 ongoing projects right now, some small and quick, others long term.

Also, anyone else having paranoia over not finding the perfect answers for research projects? Feel like a failure when I report back and say "DIdn't find anything, but here's something somewhat related that is probably of no use"
This is extremely painful to do. Instead, what I would do was throw at my supervisor any cases that were tangentially relevant and let her sort it out. That seemed to satisfy her, and I thought that that was better than nothing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 4:38 pm

So when a partner says "Just send me an email with bullet points and case citation" for when he wants the answer to an assignment, I feel like that means just be informal and concise, but should we still be doing semi-formal email-memo type format? Like reiterate the issue we researched, what we found in a more "memo-y" way? I'm afraid to follow his format too close and then have my workproduct look unprofessional when it is being reviewed at summer end

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri May 26, 2017 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So when a partner says "Just send me an email with bullet points and case citation" for when he wants the answer to an assignment, I feel like that means just be informal and concise, but should we still be doing semi-formal email-memo type format? Like reiterate the issue we researched, what we found in a more "memo-y" way? I'm afraid to follow his format too close and then have my workproduct look unprofessional when it is being reviewed at summer end
They really mean that they want bullet points. Just make sure you cite them correctly cause they will often copy and paste the cite into whatever they are working on. Just because its informal doesn't mean it shouldn't be polished. Your job is to help them make their job eaiser (not really even that as a summer, but you get the point). Include the result of the case & some key language. Also attach PDF or Word version of cases to email. Word is better because easier to copy and paste from.

Partner:

I took a look into x, y, z issue. Given a, b, c it is likely that we can make X argument to dismiss (or do whatever) Claim 1. I found several cases that support our position, but I think the best case is Smith v. Smith because... (one or two sentences).

I also found several other cases that support our position:

- Smith v. Smith
-- Court dismissed claim becase "insert langauge form case"
-- Upheld on appeal

Doe v. Doe
- Same as above

- Jackson v. Jackson
- Same as above.

That said, I also found xyz case that could be used to challenge our position. However, I believe it is distinguishable for a, b, c reasons.

ETA: by "same as above," I mean add some details about those cases (few facts, holding, language, etc.)
Last edited by RaceJudicata on Fri May 26, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Fri May 26, 2017 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is taking 10 hours to research and write a 4 page memo too long for an assignment recommended to take 6-8 hours and still needed to be edited and ran by the partner to make sure its what he wants before you submit a final copy...I feel like I've gone over the time but I still have a whole day before its due (Well he actually wants it on monday but I'd like to not work over the holiday weekend). Its my first assignment, guess I'm paranoid for taking so long.
NYC might be different, but I'm in a secondary market and they really stress to me to ask if something going to take longer than they give to make sure hours don't get wrote off etc...

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri May 26, 2017 5:37 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:
NYC might be different, but I'm in a secondary market and they really stress to me to ask if something going to take longer than they give to make sure hours don't get wrote off etc...
Don't worry about this too much. Most firms will write off all your hours as a summer anyway. Just make sure your final work product is good. That should be your only concern.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri May 26, 2017 7:50 pm

I kind of questioned it at first when reading about it on this site but now absolutely understand when people from humbler backgrounds talk about not fitting in. I feel pretty awkwardly out of place pretty frequently and I did not grow up poor

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Fri May 26, 2017 8:38 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:I kind of questioned it at first when reading about it on this site but now absolutely understand when people from humbler backgrounds talk about not fitting in. I feel pretty awkwardly out of place pretty frequently and I did not grow up poor
It's because you went full brogue.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 9:21 pm

Anyone else nonplussed at how arbitrary work distribution is? I know folks who just sit and read the WSJ all day and others who are working all weekend. The disparity is pretty nuts.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri May 26, 2017 10:26 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat May 27, 2017 12:02 am

Gray wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else nonplussed at how arbitrary work distribution is? I know folks who just sit and read the WSJ all day and others who are working all weekend. The disparity is pretty nuts.
Is this work distribution or distribution of gunnerism/anxiety?
seems to be a mixture of both at my firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 27, 2017 12:13 am

Get first assignment on Wednesday, Partner says any questions just e-mail and he will meet. Shoot him an e-mail on thursday no response, friday another e-mail no response. Memo is due Monday morning (Yes his due date for me is Memorial day, going to read it one more time on sunday and turn it in.)...nervous i missed this up.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:30 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Gray wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else nonplussed at how arbitrary work distribution is? I know folks who just sit and read the WSJ all day and others who are working all weekend. The disparity is pretty nuts.
Is this work distribution or distribution of gunnerism/anxiety?
seems to be a mixture of both at my firm
+1. Also how SAs interpret "do what you can by COB/Friday and I'll finish the rest tonight/over the weekend."

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat May 27, 2017 12:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Get first assignment on Wednesday, Partner says any questions just e-mail and he will meet. Shoot him an e-mail on thursday no response, friday another e-mail no response. Memo is due Monday morning (Yes his due date for me is Memorial day, going to read it one more time on sunday and turn it in.)...nervous i missed this up.
not really shit you can do at this point but in the future you should ask to bounce ideas with non busy juniors/mid levels. (it not a big deal and im sure the assignment is fine).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”