Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:have i been pre-emptively no-offered if i haven't received a schedule of events yet
No just email your recruitment people several times and also any attorneys you met during your interview process. They love that because it shows you're on top of things and detail-oriented!
damn i haven't emailed any of them yet i guess they know i'm not detail-oriented this is for sure a pre-emptive no offer

Easterbork

Bronze

Post by Easterbork » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:06 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:have i been pre-emptively no-offered if i haven't received a schedule of events yet
No just email your recruitment people several times and also any attorneys you met during your interview process. They love that because it shows you're on top of things and detail-oriented!
You're colleagues now. Calling is perfectly acceptable, and more personal IMO. Check previous emails you've received for a cell number for the recruitment person.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:50 am

tag

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:49 am

midwestrocks wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Thanks guys for reminding me to closely check shoe quality and variation of suits for the incoming Summers. It's a whole section on our summer associate evaluation sheet.
Mismatched belt and shoe color = no offer.

Shirt tucked into underwear = no offer.

Puff vest because the office is cold = no offer.
Firm where I worked handed out puff vests with the firm logo. People wear them all the time
Well I'm sure that firms sartorial decisions are going to cause it to fold soon. Start trying to lateral ASAP.

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:14 pm

checking in

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dylicious

New

Post by dylicious » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:22 pm

Do NYC firms give you a metro card when you get there, or do they reimburse you? Trying to decide if I should buy a monthly pass when I get there or wait for the first day. Don't wanna waste 100 something bucks.

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Pretty stoked

AmericanEagleee

New

Post by AmericanEagleee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:00 pm

I just hope wearing a suit in Houston isn't too horrendous.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:22 pm

AmericanEagleee wrote:I just hope wearing a suit in Houston isn't too horrendous.
Do they even wear suits in Houston? If so, you're SOL.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:24 pm

Dr. Nefario wrote:
AmericanEagleee wrote:I just hope wearing a suit in Houston isn't too horrendous.
Do they even wear suits in Houston? If so, you're SOL.
My understanding is that SOP is first day and then just let it get dust in the office

AmericanEagleee

New

Post by AmericanEagleee » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:44 pm

I was told that it would be "business casual" after the first day, but we will see how that pans out in reality.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 pm

AmericanEagleee wrote:I was told that it would be "business casual" after the first day, but we will see how that pans out in reality.
it'll pan out to be business casual goober

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:58 pm

Summer gym solutions for people who don't work at firms with a gym in the building?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:04 pm

How bad should I feel about being in a firm occupying a few middle-high floors of their high rise? I'm afraid people below won't look quite small enough.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:15 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:Summer gym solutions for people who don't work at firms with a gym in the building?
Just find a gym that will let you join month to month

Big Red

Gold

Post by Big Red » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:39 pm

star fox wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:Summer gym solutions for people who don't work at firms with a gym in the building?
pick a fellow summer associate you determine to be of weak constitution and set up a workout bench w/ DB set in their office, you'll be partner before you go home for the summer

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:41 pm

Big Red wrote:pick a fellow summer associate you determine to be of weak constitution and set up a workout bench w/ DB set in their office, you'll be partner before you go home for the summer
if you don't do legs, are you really working out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 7:04 am

dylicious wrote:Do NYC firms give you a metro card when you get there, or do they reimburse you? Trying to decide if I should buy a monthly pass when I get there or wait for the first day. Don't wanna waste 100 something bucks.
Should check with your firm specifically as each firm offers different benefits and varies on how and what they reimburse. I know my firm did not give us a metro card.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 7:07 am

star fox wrote:
When we started, our firm gave us a couple of options in the area that you could get a discounted price or the firm pays for part of it. Just wait and see if that's provided. If not, you can just ask the associates or other summers.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Mon May 01, 2017 8:01 am

Big Red wrote:
star fox wrote:
pick a fellow summer associate you determine to be of weak constitution and set up a workout bench w/ DB set in their office, you'll be partner before you go home for the summer
You can also do 5-6 free week or two week trials at local gyms.

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Mon May 01, 2017 11:34 am

Dr. Nefario wrote:
Big Red wrote:
star fox wrote:
You can also do 5-6 free week or two week trials at local gyms.
Definitely possible. Even if they are 3-day trial passes, workout each day of those 3 for that week, then next week find another.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mke88

New

Post by mke88 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:58 pm

Perhaps a silly question, but I shouldn't worry about making out-of-town weekend plans (/ Memorial Day plans) for this summer, right? The advice I've gotten is that I should go to every firm-sponsored event--and I will!--but I want to be sure that going out of town for the weekend won't be an issue. I assume that firms are respectful of your weekends for the summer, but want to hear your thoughts. (Also, lol at having weekends after graduation).

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon May 01, 2017 6:00 pm

mke88 wrote:Perhaps a silly question, but I shouldn't worry about making out-of-town weekend plans (/ Memorial Day plans) for this summer, right? The advice I've gotten is that I should go to every firm-sponsored event--and I will!--but I want to be sure that going out of town for the weekend won't be an issue. I assume that firms are respectful of your weekends for the summer, but want to hear your thoughts. (Also, lol at having weekends after graduation).
I booked memorial day weekend already. I seriously doubt i'm going to slammed the first weekend of the SA.

That being said, my inclination is that this a question for the recruiter.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Mon May 01, 2017 6:03 pm

mke88 wrote:Perhaps a silly question, but I shouldn't worry about making out-of-town weekend plans (/ Memorial Day plans) for this summer, right? The advice I've gotten is that I should go to every firm-sponsored event--and I will!--but I want to be sure that going out of town for the weekend won't be an issue. I assume that firms are respectful of your weekends for the summer, but want to hear your thoughts. (Also, lol at having weekends after graduation).
We go out of our way to have no events on the holiday weekends. And only a sadistic sack of shit (oh wait there are loads of those) would make a summer work during a weekend, let alone a holiday weekend.

Easterbork

Bronze

Post by Easterbork » Mon May 01, 2017 6:09 pm

You could have events on weekends in general. Less likely on holiday weekends. This is firm specific.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”