Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 24, 2017 12:22 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else just hate it? I feel guilty admitting it because of the paycheck, but biglaw is definitely not for me.
You've either been at it for two days or seven days, so hold your horses.
That's fair, but I was asking if anyone else hated it now, not if I might stop hating it at some point in the future.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed May 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone else just hate it? I feel guilty admitting it because of the paycheck, but biglaw is definitely not for me.
That's fair, but I was asking if anyone else hated it now, not if I might stop hating it at some point in the future.
Yeah I just can't stand a 9-5 (some days 9-6) job where I get paid thousands of dollars a week, have at least one lavish event a week, and be under 0 pressure to meet a billable hour goal.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed May 24, 2017 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
What's your background? Are you a k-JD?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 24, 2017 1:15 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:What's your background? Are you a k-JD?
No, I worked for ~5 years before law school. I have had jobs that I hated before, and I survived. I was never interested in big law to begin with, but was strongly encouraged by professors to do it, at least for the summer. I was excited to end up at the firm that I got, because it does have a good reputation culture wise (and I got sucked into the prestige game). It's just not the right fit at all, and I regret not holding the offer open and applying for summer positions at organizations I was genuinely interested in. It's impossible to say what would have worked out. I'm just disappointed in myself for not putting the effort in.

Anyway, I was trying not to complain, because at the end of the day, it's great to be earning this absurd paycheck. I was just wondering if anyone else out there was unhappy or had regrets.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed May 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
No, I worked for ~5 years before law school. I have had jobs that I hated before, and I survived. I was never interested in big law to begin with, but was strongly encouraged by professors to do it, at least for the summer. I was excited to end up at the firm that I got, because it does have a good reputation culture wise (and I got sucked into the prestige game). It's just not the right fit at all, and I regret not holding the offer open and applying for summer positions at organizations I was genuinely interested in. It's impossible to say what would have worked out. I'm just disappointed in myself for not putting the effort in.

Anyway, I was trying not to complain, because at the end of the day, it's great to be earning this absurd paycheck. I was just wondering if anyone else out there was unhappy or had regrets.
Give it a chance--you're still very early in. No need to do mental gymnastics running counter factuals of "what could have been."

That said, if you hate being an SA, no way you are going to cut it as an associate. But I do encourage you to give it a shot. I have NUMEROUS friends who now work in public interest after having done several years at firms who all agree that, while they might not have liked being in big law for whatever reason, the training they got there was invaluable and has contributed to their success in PI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Wed May 24, 2017 2:40 pm

I will say that if you recognize that biglaw is now for you, you still have an entire year to job search with the mother of all backup plans in your pocket. I knew deep down that biglaw wasn't for me but the summer is really fun and it's hard to turn down the money and promises of experience. Might as well do your due diligence as a 3L since you won't have much else going on.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:22 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Yeah I just can't stand a 9-5 (some days 9-6) job where I get paid thousands of dollars a week, have at least one lavish event a week, and be under 0 pressure to meet a billable hour goal.
To be honest, the whole thing makes me feel kind of gross

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Wed May 24, 2017 10:28 pm

Welcome to biglaw.

PvblivsScipio

Bronze

Post by PvblivsScipio » Wed May 24, 2017 10:38 pm

stoopkid13 wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
To be honest, the whole thing makes me feel kind of gross
What's gross about taking money out of the pockets of sociopathic fat-cat partners?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 24, 2017 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What don't you like? You don't want to work in the private sector?

Joscellin

Gold

Post by Joscellin » Wed May 24, 2017 11:45 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Twice this week I have felt the urge to stay at the office and work over going to a social event.

I am so fucked.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed May 24, 2017 11:50 pm

If initial assignments are non-billable for an important client, does it become doubly important to kill the assignment? It seems like client relations matter here, but at the same time, free labor.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu May 25, 2017 12:00 am

UVA2B wrote:If initial assignments are non-billable for an important client, does it become doubly important to kill the assignment? It seems like client relations matter here, but at the same time, free labor.
Are you asking if your first assignment for an important firm client requires your best effort? I don't understand the question but if that is what you are asking, my opinion is yes, assuming you want a job.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Thu May 25, 2017 12:02 am

UVA2B wrote:If initial assignments are non-billable for an important client, does it become doubly important to kill the assignment? It seems like client relations matter here, but at the same time, free labor.
Why would the quality of your work vary at all across assignments?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu May 25, 2017 12:07 am

Martin Brody wrote:
It made no sense to me either.

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Thu May 25, 2017 12:32 am

Npret wrote:
Martin Brody wrote:
It made no sense to me either.
I suspect humble bragging is involved.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 25, 2017 1:39 am

Huh?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu May 25, 2017 2:56 am

Depends. Who's the client? A rainmaker or an external client? Cause lol at either recognizing you at this point.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu May 25, 2017 7:33 am

It was a dumb question poorly phrased. Gottta get my stupid out on here I guess.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu May 25, 2017 8:49 am

The only client that matters is the person who you are giving your work product to (be it an associate or partner). Also, the vast majority (if not all) of your assignments will be non-billable.

Edit: my b. I see the question has been retracted. Just do your best on all assignments - regardless of perceived importance. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 12:08 pm

I keep getting staffed with a 1st year who is just not nice to work with...he isn't my mentor either. It's a small satellite office, so everyone does a lot of similar work. Advice for going about to try and get out of the current deal I'm on with him or to avoid future work with him?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 pm

I don't get. It being nice to summers at all.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I keep getting staffed with a 1st year who is just not nice to work with...he isn't my mentor either. It's a small satellite office, so everyone does a lot of similar work. Advice for going about to try and get out of the current deal I'm on with him or to avoid future work with him?
Is he in the group that you want to be in? If so, it sounds like you're up shit creek it being a small office. Maybe say something to the work coordinator like, "I've done a few deals with Fuckface a few times, any chance I can get staffed with a different associate so I can work with more people to get a sense of the group?"

Is he not in the group that you want to be in? Just tell the work coordinator that you want to do more work in a different group now that you've had a few projects with Assface.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Npret wrote: What don't you like? You don't want to work in the private sector?
It's definitely a bit of that. I don't inherently dislike the work, it's more that everything taken together -- the culture, the type of clients and work that the firm focuses on, the lack of unifying mission -- is just not what I am looking for. Maybe a different firm would be slightly better, but I think at the end of the day firms aren't that different. I interned last summer at an organization with a completely different culture and I really loved it, so hopefully I will be able to make that work.

In any rate, posting ITT wasn't supposed to be about whether I want to do biglaw. It has never been my first choice, and I went into the summer with the expectation that I would still apply to non-biglaw things as a 3L. It's the realization that this probably isn't even a feasible backup plan for me that's been getting me down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I keep getting staffed with a 1st year who is just not nice to work with...he isn't my mentor either. It's a small satellite office, so everyone does a lot of similar work. Advice for going about to try and get out of the current deal I'm on with him or to avoid future work with him?
I was put in this situation yesterday -- met with a guy who gave me a project, and I can already tell I don't want to work with him again.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”