How long should I wait before lateraling firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long should I wait before lateraling firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:54 pm

I'm at a major market v20. Started Sept. 2015. First job out of law school.

I want to lateral to my home secondary market.

When is a good time to lateral? Should I stick it out here for a few more years or can I start looking now?

Anonymous User

Re: How long should I wait before lateraling firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Fine to start looking now. If it was same city and you don't hate the firm, would say wait until September to start looking, but if different market, might as well start.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a major market v20. Started Sept. 2015. First job out of law school.

I want to lateral to my home secondary market.

When is a good time to lateral? Should I stick it out here for a few more years or can I start looking now?
It can take months to lateral, even if you are a perfect little snowflake.

There are some obvious steps you should take (if you haven't already) -- e.g. reach out to a recruiter or two (if they havent already reached out to you), figure out what firms are in the market and which you like, figure out what type of work environment you want to be in, do your research on firms and offices in the market (as all firms and all offices are not created equal, especially when crossing markets and geography), etc.

barcoach

New

Post by barcoach » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:24 am

I'm a recruiter and the best placements are when a candidate is moving home for family. Law firms like laterals that are moving to be close to "family and home" this can be done as early as 1 year after a first job. Now is the right time as it can take several months to get an offer. Best of Luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”