how much will being k-jd hurt during OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jingosaur

Gold

Re: how much will being k-jd hurt during OCI?

Post by jingosaur » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Real words of advice: NALP requires you to only hold onto 4 offers at a time. Please follow this rule. I can't tell you how many people like you were holding onto like 8-10 offers at a time and were like, "I know the NALP rule but I just love all of these firms and can't narrow it down to 4 right now." Don't be this person.

sims1

Bronze

Post by sims1 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 pm

It kind of sucks for people that are waiting and adds a bit of extra work for law firms, but at the end of the day firms are gonna hire as many people as they need to fill the summer class. I don't think it's that harmful if you're legitimately deciding between firms, but I agree if you've already checked it off you should tell them ASAP.

FWIW OP, you will be more than OK, work experience matters at the margins which you are not at.

Wacked Wombat

New

Post by Wacked Wombat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:32 pm

jingosaur wrote:Real words of advice: NALP requires you to only hold onto 4 offers at a time. Please follow this rule. I can't tell you how many people like you were holding onto like 8-10 offers at a time and were like, "I know the NALP rule but I just love all of these firms and can't narrow it down to 4 right now." Don't be this person.
http://www.nalp.org/studentprofessionalism#offer

NALP guidelines permit a student to have 5 open offers at any given time. I do agree with the rest though.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Non sarcastic answer.

Because you are at YHS and your grades are stellar and you're targeting generic big law you should have no issues. No work experience may affect you marginally in comparison with other candidate but the prestige of your school and the strength of your grades will likely outweigh any disadvantage.

Where the lack of work experience may actually hurt you may be in your interviewing skills. If you haven't ever really interviewed before and are really awkward or weird grades and prestige can only do so much. Practice interviewing as much as you can and you'll be fine.
+1. IMO lack of interview experience is more of an obstacle for KJDs than lack of work experience. Plenty of people have work experience with little to no relevance to legal work, but they are able to talk about their experiences and about themselves. Practice interviewing and you should be fine OP.

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Wacked Wombat wrote:
jingosaur wrote:Real words of advice: NALP requires you to only hold onto 4 offers at a time. Please follow this rule. I can't tell you how many people like you were holding onto like 8-10 offers at a time and were like, "I know the NALP rule but I just love all of these firms and can't narrow it down to 4 right now." Don't be this person.
http://www.nalp.org/studentprofessionalism#offer

NALP guidelines permit a student to have 5 open offers at any given time. I do agree with the rest though.
You can actually have more than 5; you just cant hold them for more than a week. Maybe an unpopular opinion but I actually think its fine to keep multiple offers open, as long as you are actually still evaluating the firms. A week is more than enough time to reach out to people for coffee/go back for a second look. And I would encourage people to go back for second looks, attend the offer dinner, and basically get as much information as they can before deciding. I don't think people should feel the need to rush their decisions out of a misplaced sense of courtesy.

That said, recognize at a certain point you're going to get all the (limited) information you can. Don't hold offers open just because you're indecisive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”