Delete Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Delete

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:05 am

delete
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SiddFinch85

New

Re: RE: Letter of Rec Misstated a fact

Post by SiddFinch85 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:38 am

Has the letter been sent? If not, you seem to have letters from other sources and don't need this one. I'd contact your career services/clerkship coordinator, tell them about the statement and that while you appreciate the sentiment, you're not comfortable with having the letter sent. I tend to think the risk of career services throwing this back in your face because you "weren't supposed to see the letter" is low--they posted it to the site where you'd be able to see it and sounds like you're trying to do the right thing here.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Here's an issue. I'm applying for some state judicial clerkships. I have recs from work and from an externship, but figured a letter of rec from my legal writing professor would be a good idea.

Although we weren't supposed to see the letters, they were uploaded to our career services website in anticipation of being sent to the judges, so I looked.

The letter says something, although flattering, very very false. In fact it's probably so false that I fear it might make my application appear misleading.

What do I even do? I don't want to have to explain this one away.

You were not supposed to look and you looked anyway. That is a problem. It might not be a big deal but who knows.

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:24 pm

What kind of thing could be flattering, though very false?

"This student authored an article and was published in well known fancy journal"...?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:26 pm

Delete
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Can't OP just request to have this letter withdrawn without explaining why? It's his application, he should be able to do whatever he wants with it.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:17 pm

dabigchina wrote:Can't OP just request to have this letter withdrawn without explaining why? It's his application, he should be able to do whatever he wants with it.
It doesn't seem like it was submitted so he should just tell career services that he saw it and there was a massive error. Now that he knows about it he can't let a misleading letter go through

Anonymous User

Delete

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Delete

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Npret wrote:
dabigchina wrote:Can't OP just request to have this letter withdrawn without explaining why? It's his application, he should be able to do whatever he wants with it.
It doesn't seem like it was submitted so he should just tell career services that he saw it and there was a massive error. Now that he knows about it he can't let a misleading letter go through
But why can't OP just follow dabigchina's advice and withdraw the letter without explaining why? The problem with your approach is that OP has to admit that he violated school policy by reading the letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:41 am

rpupkin wrote:
Npret wrote:
But why can't OP just follow dabigchina's advice and withdraw the letter without explaining why? The problem with your approach is that OP has to admit that he violated school policy by reading the letter.
Ok I agree. Just delete it but I think career services will want to know/ will guess why. Don't admit to violating school policy but you can't let it go out.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Delete

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 am

This is an interesting thread. I hope will receive from follow-up on how this played out.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Delete

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:36 pm

OP here for the curious.

I ended up emailing CS after taking advice.

Told them I didn't want to mislead the court and they appeared to ignore the other problem. Because applications were closed I was unable to withdraw the letter without going through CS. I also named my reviewers in my CL so it being withdrawn would be noticed by the judges/justices.

The letter is being revised as of now.

So good outcome I'd say.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”