Small firms - can they bill clients for... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small firms - can they bill clients for...

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Before law school graduates who took the bar and passed it but before they are sworn in or pass the C&F, do or can small firms bill clients like an attorney work, $x? Or do they bill for law clerk work and rates?

Anonymous User

Re: Small firms - can they bill clients for...

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 pm

I work at a small defense firm, think CGL and construction defect type stuff.

I'm a 2L. I'm billed between the rate of a paralegal and an associate, but in the para professional column

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Before law school graduates who took the bar and passed it but before they are sworn in or pass the C&F, do or can small firms bill clients like an attorney work, $x? Or do they bill for law clerk work and rates?
A firm can bill anyone at any rate they wish. As long as the bill does not indicate that a person who has not yet passed the bar/cleared c&f, and is therefore not an "attorney", is not billed as an attorney, there is no ethics or other issue. The rate could be the same as a first year associate as long as there is an indication as to "law clerk" or un-admitted law graduate, etc.

Whether a client will be willing to pay such a bill is another story.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:09 am

Right2BearArms wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Before law school graduates who took the bar and passed it but before they are sworn in or pass the C&F, do or can small firms bill clients like an attorney work, $x? Or do they bill for law clerk work and rates?
A firm can bill anyone at any rate they wish. As long as the bill does not indicate that a person who has not yet passed the bar/cleared c&f, and is therefore not an "attorney", is not billed as an attorney, there is no ethics or other issue. The rate could be the same as a first year associate as long as there is an indication as to "law clerk" or un-admitted law graduate, etc.

A firm can bill any rate but I guess the question is whether a client will accept that rate, the same rate for un-admitted law graduate as a first year asso.

Right2BearArms

Bronze

Post by Right2BearArms » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Right2BearArms wrote:

A firm can bill any rate but I guess the question is whether a client will accept that rate, the same rate for un-admitted law graduate as a first year asso.
Unless someone here is a client of that firm, I doubt anyone here can answer that. Plenty of firms bill all kinds of un-admitted attorney's/law graduates. Fee arrangements aren't really your concern as the young attorney in that situation, unless you know or learn of some kind of illegal/unethical marketing of a non-licensed person as a licensed attorney.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”