1st Year Looking to Lateral and Switch Practice Groups Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1st Year Looking to Lateral and Switch Practice Groups

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:53 pm

So for several reasons, I'd like to move from my firm, and ideally switch practice groups. Is this generally feasible or is this a long shot? Is it worth mass mailing? Reaching out to friends, alumni, headhunter, all of the above?

Or should I just sit pat and try again when I'm more of 2nd year?

deliriousxix

Bronze

Re: 1st Year Looking to Lateral and Switch Practice Groups

Post by deliriousxix » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So for several reasons, I'd like to move from my firm, and ideally switch practice groups. Is this generally feasible or is this a long shot? Is it worth mass mailing? Reaching out to friends, alumni, headhunter, all of the above?

Or should I just sit pat and try again when I'm more of 2nd year?
You should do a forum search.. there is a lot of information on this. But to sum it up: depends on which practice group you'd like to switch into, which firm you are at now, your location, etc. It is generally more difficult to lateral as a first year, but it's not impossible. Also, from what I understand, it is probably better to not use a recruiter-- firms typically don't want to pay the fee for a first year associate.. particularly in mid and small markets.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”