Investment Banking -> Biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Investment Banking -> Biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:22 pm

Anyone done this or know someone that has? I've spent almost two years at a bulge bracket bank doing M&A and capital markets in an industry coverage group and am thinking about applying to law school next cycle. I'm confident I can get into a T6 school (3.8/174).

spyke123

Bronze

Re: Investment Banking -> Biglaw?

Post by spyke123 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:26 pm

plenty.. too many to count... but why?...

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone done this or know someone that has? I've spent almost two years at a bulge bracket bank doing M&A and capital markets in an industry coverage group and am thinking about applying to law school next cycle. I'm confident I can get into a T6 school (3.8/174).

Why leave ib? Unless there is something off with your career this is a bad idea. Biglaw is getting tougher and more commoditized. Even a partner jumps when an ib associate requests something no matter how dumb the request, so why come on our side?

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:45 pm

It's possible OP really wants to be a lawyer, and in that case, yeah go to law school, but you have a sweet gig going and might as well ride that gravy train.

With your numbers and work experience, you have a decent shot at H/S (I'd even apply to Y), but I would highly recommend taking the inevitable full ride from a T10/T13 (no real difference nowadays) over HYS/T6.

More importantly, why do you want biglaw? Why do you want to become a lawyer? If you can't provide a satisfactory answer, the best advice anyone can give you is don't go to law school (biglaw isn't any better than investment banking).

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Eh, if a guy from IB came to big law, he would be highly sought after for deals for the insight he'd have into what the client wants. I could see it being a great set up for partnership. The major question here is why? Fuck, 3 years of school, starting over and learning a new skillset, then sitting through the grind of potentially years of big law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Wouldn't TCR be to go buyside and make stupid money?
Assuming recruiting didn't go well this time around, couldn't OP just get an MBA, schmooze for a couple of years, and then go buyside and make stupid money?

I gotta admit I don't understand the thinking.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Hey OP - 0Ls aren't allowed to ask questions in this forum. I'd move this to the Ask a Law Student/Grad forum, but there's no anon function there, so I'm locking this. Feel free to ask again in that forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Legal Employment”