2017 PLIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
engineer2law

New

2017 PLIP

Post by engineer2law » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:04 pm

Anyone else getting ready for the Loyola Patent Law Interview Program?

Many of the firms state that law review is preferred. I am currently a 1L (rising 2L) and will be able to write on to law review this summer. Anyone know how I can reflect this on my resume? Or do they not even look for any law review stuff on 1L resumes?

elendinel

Silver

Re: 2017 PLIP

Post by elendinel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:53 pm

engineer2law wrote:Anyone else getting ready for the Loyola Patent Law Interview Program?

Many of the firms state that law review is preferred. I am currently a 1L (rising 2L) and will be able to write on to law review this summer. Anyone know how I can reflect this on my resume? Or do they not even look for any law review stuff on 1L resumes?
Are there people at your school who can't write on during the summer? If not I don't think saying you're eligible to apply to law review is going to help, considering if you have to write on, there's a chance you won't get it. If at your school only a select percentage of the school can try to write on, then it'd still be a little weird to add this to your resume, but you can mention to the interviewer that you don't know if you'll do LR because the writing competition is in the summer.

If you meant "grade on" I think it's still too early to be assuming anything about whether or not you'll actually be able to grade on, and I don't see any value in saying "I think I will grade-on to my law review" on your resume (which is essentially what saying you're able to grade-on would look like).

exam_ner

New

Post by exam_ner » Wed May 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Checking in. Reminder that there are only 2 days left to fill out your bid list.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Wed May 17, 2017 4:29 pm

engineer2law wrote:Anyone else getting ready for the Loyola Patent Law Interview Program?

Firms care but you better be on the actual law review (not a secondary journal) and this better be confirmed by your school. Just update your resume when its official.

caseysho

New

Post by caseysho » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 am

Out of all the 20-25 interviews I did as a rising 2L (90% of which were for IP spots in particular), I was asked maybe twice about my journal. If you're going to PILP, they aren't targeting you for your bluebooking skills. Of course, journals are very helpful and I would highly recommend shooting for law review (especially if your school isn't somewhere around T14) or some other journal. A lot of my friends in the IP world specifically applied to technology or IP themed journals in lieu of law review because they were interested in the topic and the connections it could bring.

If you haven't received word about law review, just tell them that. No shame in being honest and your interviewer will understand that different schools operate on different timelines.

Best of luck at Loyola! Drop by firm hospitality rooms if you find time; sometimes they will let you interview even when you were scheduled or just give you yummy snacks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

patentman18

New

Post by patentman18 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:11 am

Does a top 15%, 3L from T2 with strong IP experience in both 1L and 2L SA positions have a shot at interviews?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:23 am

patentman18 wrote:Does a top 15%, 3L from T2 with strong IP experience in both 1L and 2L SA positions have a shot at interviews?
Not sure if troll but I'll answer honestly - you should have a great chance. Tier of the school didn't seem to be an overriding factor, more so that you can express your interest in IP.

patentman18

New

Post by patentman18 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:35 am

KunAgnis wrote:
patentman18 wrote:Does a top 15%, 3L from T2 with strong IP experience in both 1L and 2L SA positions have a shot at interviews?
Not sure if troll but I'll answer honestly - you should have a great chance. Tier of the school didn't seem to be an overriding factor, more so that you can express your interest in IP.

Not trolling, I struck out last year with and only had two interviews. Hoping for the best this time around!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:28 pm

If you currently have an SA position this summer, you didn't strike out last year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Does anyone know when firms start notifying attendees of preselects?

Carlton_Banks

New

Post by Carlton_Banks » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when firms start notifying attendees of preselects?
Firms don't notify you directly, AFAIK. I'm assuming it's all done via Symplicity. And preliminary schedules come out on Friday the 30th at 8am Eastern Time, apparently. Final schedules come out a week later. See here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:33 pm

Carlton_Banks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know when firms start notifying attendees of preselects?
Firms don't notify you directly, AFAIK. I'm assuming it's all done via Symplicity. And preliminary schedules come out on Friday the 30th at 8am Eastern Time, apparently. Final schedules come out a week later. See here.
Great, thanks a lot for that. Saved me a lot of mindless waiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 am

Interviews are up.

*Preselects I should say

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:10 am

Might be just me, but it seems harder as a 3L? I got so many more preselects as a rising 2L than a rising 3L....

engineer2law

New

Post by engineer2law » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:18 am

Anyone know what to expect with the Navy Office of General Counsel? I applied largely out of curiosity and got an interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:25 am

I learned a valuable lesson in bidding heavily DC with mediocre credentials out of a T13. 6 of 32 preselects.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:19 am

I'm a rising 2L who bid only on lit, mix of DC and NY, and since I set my expectations low for everything, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of interviews I got. Hoping a few of the alternates will turn into screeners.
Anonymous User wrote:Might be just me, but it seems harder as a 3L? I got so many more preselects as a rising 2L than a rising 3L....
You might want to do a cursory search of this forum to help you adjust your expectations for how competitive 3L hiring is.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

engineer2law

New

Post by engineer2law » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:29 am

caseysho wrote:

Out of all the 20-25 interviews I did as a rising 2L (90% of which were for IP spots in particular), I was asked maybe twice about my journal. If you're going to PILP, they aren't targeting you for your bluebooking skills. Of course, journals are very helpful and I would highly recommend shooting for law review (especially if your school isn't somewhere around T14) or some other journal. A lot of my friends in the IP world specifically applied to technology or IP themed journals in lieu of law review because they were interested in the topic and the connections it could bring.

If you haven't received word about law review, just tell them that. No shame in being honest and your interviewer will understand that different schools operate on different timelines.

Best of luck at Loyola! Drop by firm hospitality rooms if you find time; sometimes they will let you interview even when you were scheduled or just give you yummy snacks.
Thank you. This is very helpful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2L who bid only on lit, mix of DC and NY, and since I set my expectations low for everything, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of interviews I got. Hoping a few of the alternates will turn into screeners.
Anonymous User wrote:Might be just me, but it seems harder as a 3L? I got so many more preselects as a rising 2L than a rising 3L....
You might want to do a cursory search of this forum to help you adjust your expectations for how competitive 3L hiring is.
I already have searched the past two years' threads, which is why I'm asking here. If you don't have something to contribute then please don't reply to my question. Thanks.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a rising 2L who bid only on lit, mix of DC and NY, and since I set my expectations low for everything, I was pleasantly surprised by the number of interviews I got. Hoping a few of the alternates will turn into screeners.
I already have searched the past two years' threads, which is why I'm asking here. If you don't have something to contribute then please don't reply to my question. Thanks.
There were significantly less firms with slots for 3L's at all, what did you expect? It's clear that 3L hiring is a much lower priority for firms at this point in the year, and that goes for other avenues besides just PLIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:46 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
There were significantly less firms with slots for 3L's at all, what did you expect? It's clear that 3L hiring is a much lower priority for firms at this point in the year, and that goes for other avenues besides just PLIP.
At the same time there are a lot less 3L's applying via PLIP compared to 2L's. I get your point but there is really no need to be an asshole over someone asking for advice on a forum designed to share information. Thanks a lot, though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
At the same time there are a lot less 3L's applying via PLIP compared to 2L's. I get your point but there is really no need to be an asshole over someone asking for advice on a forum designed to share information. Thanks a lot, though.
Wasn't really being an asshole in my opinion, but sorry. Bold use of anon, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:08 pm

OCI at my school actually starts before PLIP. Should I not be bidding on the firms I'm interviewing with at PLIP for OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:39 pm

How likely is it that a firm granted an interview by accident? And based on my situation, would you do the interview?

Negatives:
First, I'm eligible to sit for the USPTO exam but I don't have one of the degrees they specified they wanted. I must have bid on the wrong office location by accident since one of their other locations was not looking for any specific degree, or they updated the information on the location I bid on without me realizing it.

Second, they have not seen my grades yet since my grades were not released at the time the bids were due. More importantly, my GPA is below median.

So, not only do they not want my degree, they won't want me based on grades either.

Positives:
On the plus side, I do have strong scientific experience, a great writing sample, a solid legal internship this summer (although it is not at a firm), and experience in the field of one of the degrees they were looking for since I was heavily involved in a tech startup and the startup's process of obtaining a patent. More importantly, I'm a strong interviewer with lots of time to prepare. Also, they said I should have one of those degrees, as opposed to stating it was a necessity. Finally, I can meet with attorneys at their office in the meantime since it is in the same city I am currently interning at.

So, what should I do? It is my only interview at Loyola.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:How likely is it that a firm granted an interview by accident? And based on my situation, would you do the interview?

Negatives:
First, I'm eligible to sit for the USPTO exam but I don't have one of the degrees they specified they wanted. I must have bid on the wrong office location by accident since one of their other locations was not looking for any specific degree, or they updated the information on the location I bid on without me realizing it.

Second, they have not seen my grades yet since my grades were not released at the time the bids were due. More importantly, my GPA is below median.

So, not only do they not want my degree, they won't want me based on grades either.

Positives:
On the plus side, I do have strong scientific experience, a great writing sample, a solid legal internship this summer (although it is not at a firm), and experience in the field of one of the degrees they were looking for since I was heavily involved in a tech startup and the startup's process of obtaining a patent. More importantly, I'm a strong interviewer with lots of time to prepare. Also, they said I should have one of those degrees, as opposed to stating it was a necessity. Finally, I can meet with attorneys at their office in the meantime since it is in the same city I am currently interning at.

So, what should I do? It is my only interview at Loyola.
What can you do besides do your best at the interview? Trying to meet up with attorneys from that firm may help, especially if you have some sort of connection beyond "hey, you guys work at the only firm that will be interviewing me."

I think the bigger question is if it's worth going to PLIP for one interview that you don't think you're even a good fit for. Is it worth the airfare and hotel room? I don't know, that's up to you. Personally I wouldn't drop 500 bucks for one interview, but if you are confident you can crush the interview and land the job, then fuck it and crush it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”