Getting Fired Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting Fired

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Thoughts? Stories? I was considering jumping off a bridge

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Getting Fired

Post by kellyfrost » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:42 pm

What happened bro?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Don't jump dude, it's just a job

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 pm

No but really, what happened, how can we help.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:50 pm

shitty bro. it happens go get fucked up with some homies get some pizza drunk af

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Sucks man. What's the story? Definitely don't jump. You can probably find another job, and getting out of this shitfest is probably a huge win.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:19 am

dailygrind wrote:getting out of this shitfest is probably a huge win.

spyke123

Bronze

Post by spyke123 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:07 am

Unless you have tons of debt... its not the end of the world. Biglaw isn't all that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:21 am

spyke123 wrote:Unless you have tons of debt... its not the end of the world. Biglaw isn't all that.
Even if OP has tons of debt, he/she should not jump a bridge. It's only a job, and many people lead successful lives without working in BigLaw. In fact, far more people lead great lives outside BigLaw than within it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:34 am

South america for 6 months on a 5k budget

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 am

About 8 months ago I biffed a deadline at my current workplace and was "reassigned" which essentially meant I got stamped in the hierarchy from a fairly promising position, crushed on an evaluation, and encouraged to explore my options in other ways. It was awful; telling my wife was the absolute worst part of it. I questioned just about everything in my life and every piece of pride I had invested in my work was absolutely shattered.

However, fast forward a few months later and my new supervisor genuinely gives a shit about me, values and uses my strengths, helps me develop my weaknesses, and genuinely fights for me with his superiors. He's already started working on his recommendation for my inevitable change of locale though he is begging me to reconsider and stay around under his group. What a different a change of scenery, even a small one, can make. I've learned that I can be valued for who I am and not square peg/round holed like I had been for a few years with a boss looming over my shoulder looking for a reason to get rid of people for whatever reason. Ultimately getting reassigned from the boss I was working for has been a benefit when I thought, at the time, it was a crusher. Obviously not saying this will be the case for you, but anecdotally at least there are still successes that happen in those dark times.

Related, I had a coworker buy a ticket from Texas to SF, jump off the GG Bridge and kill himself, and it was pretty soul crushing to everyone that knew him. People would give a shit if you did that. Please don't do that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:Related, I had a coworker buy a ticket from Texas to SF, jump off the GG Bridge and kill himself, and it was pretty soul crushing to everyone that knew him. People would give a shit if you did that. Please don't do that.
Kind of drifting off topic, but was with the USCG in SF last year, and it absolutely devastates 18-22 year old kids who have to go fish the body out of the bay. They join up thinking they're going to save lives and fight terrorists, and instead they're pulling up jumpers, get depressed, and start wondering if they should be considering the same option.

Law is brutal sometimes, and it fucks with your mind. Please talk to others and get help.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:36 am

I echo what everyone else is saying; a job isn't worth your life.

Yes, you will have some difficulty ahead of yourself, but then you'll get through it and things will be back to normal.

Go be with supporting people. If you have some money, blow some of it to get yourself to a good place. Rest, eat, drink. Then get back in the game.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:48 am

OP here. How do I even explain it to other firms? "I'm currently unemployed because I got fired for making mistakes." I had to interview with over 20 places just to get my current job, how the hell am I supposed to get hired now?

Considering quitting law altogether. Years of hard work down the drain. Fuck this

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:59 am

If you're still there and they're giving you a month or so to find a new gig, don't even mention that you're being let go. Reach out to former classmates/coworkers and see if they can get you through the door without having to explain why you're looking to lateral. There's usually always a way to positively spin a bad situation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. How do I even explain it to other firms? "I'm currently unemployed because I got fired for making mistakes." I had to interview with over 20 places just to get my current job, how the hell am I supposed to get hired now?

Considering quitting law altogether. Years of hard work down the drain. Fuck this
OP if you're c/o 2015 or earlier you'll be able to find something new I expect. We can help you come up with a narrative. Just don't lose hope and seek help if you need it.

Silver

Post by 2807 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:43 am

The caterpillar thought it was end of his world, then he turned into a butterfly.

Relax. Life moves on. This is the great arc of your experience.
You didn't really think you had it all solved did you?
The "you" of 5 years from now would like to talk to you.

Trust me, I come to you from the future.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 am

OP, I was in your position just a few months ago.

I was working at a firm I hated, mostly because everyone was miserable and went out of their way to treat employees poorly and make them hate their lives (not exaggerating, really). I only stayed because it was a source of income and I didn't have enough experience to get call backs from other places I applied to. Plus, I was working in the area of law I wanted to be in, so I figured I'd make some sacrifices personally to allow my professional career to grow.

My boss had it out for me from day 1. She purposely excluded me from emails and meetings and then screamed at me when I missed information or deadlines. All of this was to build her case to the managing partners and get me fired. So I go on a lovely vacation, come back, and get pulled in and told I'm being reassigned to a different group. Not only that, but was told I would've been fired had the other group not been short on people. The managing partners detailed all the information my old boss fabricated against me. I was dumbfounded and absolutely crushed.

So I started working for the other group for a few months. I had an awful chip on my shoulder, but went above and beyond to meet and exceed billables, offer help to all the partners, etc. 3 months later, on a random Monday, they pulled me into the managing partner's office, told me a myriad of bullshit (e.g. "you're too nice to work here" and "you'd be happier working somewhere where you can actually help people) and then told me to pack my thing and be out before lunch (which was in a half hour).

I hated that job. I hated every person who worked there. But I have never been so crushed in my entire life. I went home, I cried the entire way. I finally called my parents to tell them what happened, they were livid at my firm and scared for me. I went to the beach, got super drunk, cried a bunch. Went home, slept for an eternity, woke up the next day and decided to give myself 3 days to wallow. After that I hit the ground running. I applied for everything I could, even fringe legal work that didn't really require a bar. I signed up for doc reviews. Hell, I was about to apply to deliver pizzas at the Dominos across the street.

I was unemployed for 3.5 months before finding my current job, which I love. I have a boss who values me, I have supportive co-workers, and the work is amazing (government). I won't lie: those 3.5 months of unemployment were soul crushing. I felt pitiful. I was literally eating Ramen and making protein shakes for every meal just so I didn't have to spend the tiny bit of money I had. But it also built a ton of character and helped me find strength I didn't know I had.

So here's my advice:
-Apply for unemployment! It may not be a lot, but that money coming in will help a little.
-Give yourself a couple days to be sad. Lean on friends and family for support where needed.
-Start applying for doc reviews immediately. They pay pretty well and are a good filler so you don't have a gap on your resume.
-Take a little bit of time to do the things you like. For me, I used my extra time during unemployment to go to the gym more and take long walks around my neighborhood.
-Leverage your network. You don't have to go into the gory details of what happened. Just tell friends/classmates you're seeking new employment. Put them to work for you!

Above all else, please don't harm yourself. You are valued and this is very temporary. Happy to help any way I can.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I hated that job. I hated every person who worked there. But I have never been so crushed in my entire life.
God, isn't that the truth? I left once I found something rather than wait to be let go, but the writing was on the wall and I still had this feeling. I wish I could explain why something I so desperately wanted to be freed from made me feel like such a failure, but it did.

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, I was in your position just a few months ago.

I was working at a firm I hated, mostly because everyone was miserable and went out of their way to treat employees poorly and make them hate their lives (not exaggerating, really). I only stayed because it was a source of income and I didn't have enough experience to get call backs from other places I applied to. Plus, I was working in the area of law I wanted to be in, so I figured I'd make some sacrifices personally to allow my professional career to grow.

My boss had it out for me from day 1. She purposely excluded me from emails and meetings and then screamed at me when I missed information or deadlines. All of this was to build her case to the managing partners and get me fired. So I go on a lovely vacation, come back, and get pulled in and told I'm being reassigned to a different group. Not only that, but was told I would've been fired had the other group not been short on people. The managing partners detailed all the information my old boss fabricated against me. I was dumbfounded and absolutely crushed.

So I started working for the other group for a few months. I had an awful chip on my shoulder, but went above and beyond to meet and exceed billables, offer help to all the partners, etc. 3 months later, on a random Monday, they pulled me into the managing partner's office, told me a myriad of bullshit (e.g. "you're too nice to work here" and "you'd be happier working somewhere where you can actually help people) and then told me to pack my thing and be out before lunch (which was in a half hour).

I hated that job. I hated every person who worked there. But I have never been so crushed in my entire life. I went home, I cried the entire way. I finally called my parents to tell them what happened, they were livid at my firm and scared for me. I went to the beach, got super drunk, cried a bunch. Went home, slept for an eternity, woke up the next day and decided to give myself 3 days to wallow. After that I hit the ground running. I applied for everything I could, even fringe legal work that didn't really require a bar. I signed up for doc reviews. Hell, I was about to apply to deliver pizzas at the Dominos across the street.

I was unemployed for 3.5 months before finding my current job, which I love. I have a boss who values me, I have supportive co-workers, and the work is amazing (government). I won't lie: those 3.5 months of unemployment were soul crushing. I felt pitiful. I was literally eating Ramen and making protein shakes for every meal just so I didn't have to spend the tiny bit of money I had. But it also built a ton of character and helped me find strength I didn't know I had.

So here's my advice:
-Apply for unemployment! It may not be a lot, but that money coming in will help a little.
-Give yourself a couple days to be sad. Lean on friends and family for support where needed.
-Start applying for doc reviews immediately. They pay pretty well and are a good filler so you don't have a gap on your resume.
-Take a little bit of time to do the things you like. For me, I used my extra time during unemployment to go to the gym more and take long walks around my neighborhood.
-Leverage your network. You don't have to go into the gory details of what happened. Just tell friends/classmates you're seeking new employment. Put them to work for you!

Above all else, please don't harm yourself. You are valued and this is very temporary. Happy to help any way I can.
You have character and the ability to persevere, something that biglaw cannot teach. Congrats.

And OP - reach out to this person. He/she seems to have good advice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:05 pm

OP. Can't reach out, that person is anon. Currently drowning myself in whiskey

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lalalsat96

New

Post by Lalalsat96 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 pm

It will get better ! Don't be too hard on your self! Your life is worth more than a job
Last edited by Lalalsat96 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:31 pm

OP im sorry! Still in school so I don't have any life experience to give you but in terms of the emotional stress and feeling hopeless i hear you! People are always here for you and sooner than you think you will look back on this situation and say that made me resilient! don't blame yourself for anytime in the past. Always forward. Simply take that horrible work experience and make it your motivation to do and get better! You got this! As someone who struggled with depression and anxiety in young adulthood I can say it truly does get better so much so you will look at your life and say how did I get here.

Side note this thread is terrifying me from biglaw. If anyone wants to pm me and warn me of which firms to never work for in biglaw after I graduate I would not mind in all seriousness I have overcome my mental health struggles no need to go back there

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP im sorry! Still in school so I don't have any life experience to give you but in terms of the emotional stress and feeling hopeless i hear you! People are always here for you and sooner than you think you will look back on this situation and say that made me resilient! don't blame yourself for anytime in the past. Always forward. Simply take that horrible work experience and make it your motivation to do and get better! You got this! As someone who struggled with depression and anxiety in young adulthood I can say it truly does get better so much so you will look at your life and say how did I get here.

Side note this thread is terrifying me from biglaw. If anyone wants to pm me and warn me of which firms to never work for in biglaw after I graduate I would not mind in all seriousness I have overcome my mental health struggles no need to go back there
They all suck and they all fire people.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP im sorry! Still in school so I don't have any life experience to give you but in terms of the emotional stress and feeling hopeless i hear you! People are always here for you and sooner than you think you will look back on this situation and say that made me resilient! don't blame yourself for anytime in the past. Always forward. Simply take that horrible work experience and make it your motivation to do and get better! You got this! As someone who struggled with depression and anxiety in young adulthood I can say it truly does get better so much so you will look at your life and say how did I get here.

They all suck and they all fire people.
That's honestly horrible and not encouraging. I am feeling public service more and more.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”