DC AUSA office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC AUSA office

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Does anyone know if this office is hiring? Also, can anyone tell me a little bit about the interview process in the office, e.g., how interviews are structured, what type of questions they ask, things to avoid saying, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: DC AUSA office

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if this office is hiring? Also, can anyone tell me a little bit about the interview process in the office, e.g., how interviews are structured, what type of questions they ask, things to avoid saying, etc.
I know of someone who has an interview coming up with them so I assume they're hiring. From what she tells me, the process is panel interviews in the morning, break for lunch, then you come back and they give you facts of a case and half an hour to prepare before giving a mock opening statement.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if this office is hiring? Also, can anyone tell me a little bit about the interview process in the office, e.g., how interviews are structured, what type of questions they ask, things to avoid saying, etc.
I know of someone who has an interview coming up with them so I assume they're hiring. From what she tells me, the process is panel interviews in the morning, break for lunch, then you come back and they give you facts of a case and half an hour to prepare before giving a mock opening statement.
Is this the standard for most AUSA offices or just the DC one?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think just DC. The interviews I've had with AUSA offices only involved panel interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think just DC. The interviews I've had with AUSA offices only involved panel interviews.
What kind of questions were asked at your panel interview?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think just DC. The interviews I've had with AUSA offices only involved panel interviews.
Ditto. I did get hypos from one office, but they sent them ahead of time, and I've never had to do a mock trial anything.

Questions were pretty predictable: why do you want to be a prosecutor? Why a federal prosecutor? Why this office? Tell us about your trial experience (or whatever experience you have, but preferably trial). Where do you see yourself in 10 years? Other questions I got were specific to having prosecutorial experience: how do you prepare for sentencing? How do you work with agents? What do you like most about the job/trial? what do struggle with most? How do you deal with defense counsel?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:39 pm

Any other thoughts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any other thoughts?
From what I hear, it's like working in a state prosecutor's office because all new AUSAs go to superior court or appeals. Only very experienced prosecutors get to go to district court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 8:57 pm

To follow up on this, does anyone know how difficult it is to get hired at the DC USAO fresh out of law school? I would imagine it is tougher than most local DA offices doing the same work because it's fed. Does anyone know if this office tends to care about grades/school prestige more than others? I haven't been able to find much info about the entry level hiring process, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:To follow up on this, does anyone know how difficult it is to get hired at the DC USAO fresh out of law school? I would imagine it is tougher than most local DA offices doing the same work because it's fed. Does anyone know if this office tends to care about grades/school prestige more than others? I haven't been able to find much info about the entry level hiring process, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
Very few USAOs hire directly out of law school and they do it through DOJ Honors. When I went through the cycle last fall, D.C. was not one of them. Getting hired directly after a clerkship is more common in general, but I don't know whether D.C. does that much either.

MillerTime15

New

Post by MillerTime15 » Mon May 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know how difficult it is to get hired at the DC USAO fresh out of law school?
Seemingly impossible. I searched the DOJ hiring page and found one posting for a criminal position in the D.C. USAO. It provides, "Interested applicants must possess a J.D. degree, be duly licensed and authorized to practice as an attorney under the laws of any state, territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia, and have at least one year post J.D. legal experience." https://www.justice.gov/legal-careers/j ... torney-103

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 15, 2017 2:31 pm

Clerk with a DC Superior Court Criminal Judge, they often hire those folks. I've seen the posting, for one year experience. And I know some fellow clerks who have gone off to do that.

LesterFreamon

New

Post by LesterFreamon » Thu May 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Clerk with a DC Superior Court Criminal Judge, they often hire those folks. I've seen the posting, for one year experience. And I know some fellow clerks who have gone off to do that.
Thanks a lot, this is super useful. If you see this again and have the time, could you PM me? I'm interested in going this route but would love to learn a little more about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”