Moving to NYC - New Jersey/Brooklyn Neighborhoods and Roommates (?) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving to NYC - New Jersey/Brooklyn Neighborhoods and Roommates (?)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:10 pm

I'm considering moving to NYC for a new job. It would be in downtown Manhattan.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on neighborhoods either in Brooklyn or New Jersey. I'm not from NYC, and therefore really like my space and likely want to avoid living in Manhattan. So my first instinct would be Jersey City/Hoboken and I could be convinced of Brooklyn if I found something nice enough. Any suggestions on neighborhood or how to go about searching? I would like to keep rent below $2500 but have some flexibility.

Also I would prefer living alone but would be open to a roommate. Is there any way to find a non-awful roommate without resorting to Craigslist? I'm thinking of maybe law firm/school listservs but not sure if there is any other way besides reaching out to personal contacts.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Moving to NYC - New Jersey/Brooklyn Neighborhoods and Roommates (?)

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:46 pm

If your work is relatively accessible via PATH, Hoboken/JC are good bets. You should be able to find something suitable for under $2500.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:13 pm

Yea, I have a 1br in Hell's Kitchen for under 3k, you should be fine with that price range.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 pm

In Brooklyn, your commute tolerance and desire to be in a hip neighborhood will greatly affect whether you can get a great apartment for that price or maybe scrape by finding something acceptable. If you don't mind a longer commute, Bay Ridge or Kensington will get you something nice. Otherwise any neighborhood west-northwest of prospect park or in Williamsburg are the usual candidates.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Quick plug for the Gowanus fringes of Park Slope. You can get a ton of space for a very reasonable (well, by NYC standards) price, and the commute to FiDi is about 25 minutes (longer to get to Midtown, obviously).

magikarp

New

Post by magikarp » Sat May 06, 2017 10:44 am

Late to this thread, but at $2500, you can probably a place in Gowanus (^^^good rec from poster above), South Park Slope/Greenwood, or Clinton Hill, all of which are great Brooklyn neighborhoods with reasonable commutes to Lower Manhattan. Also, don't rule out Astoria (Queens). It'll all feel on the small side if you're used to getting a lot of square footage per dollar, but at your price point, you won't be restricted to tiny studios.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”