What is considered "bigfed?" Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jess

Re: What is considered "bigfed?"

Post by jess » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:38 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:51 pm

jess wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jess wrote:
grand inquisitor wrote:i agree that this line drawing is probably dumb but i would guess bigfed is doj, sec, dod, ftc, fcc and the like; midfed is usda, epa, interior, etc.; shitfed is dhs, the va and similar.
this is a pretty good breakdown except i would put dhs as midfed solely because you can hit gs 14/15 as an attorney, whereas the VA and soc sec seem to max out at gs 11 or something absurd like that.
VA attorney here. VA maxes out at GS-14, with GS-15 being a competitive promotion. The exception is VA field attorneys, which recently were eligible for GS-15 promotions (not sure how widespread this is though).
What exactly do you do? My friend at the Board is maxed out at GS 11 or 12.
I work at the Board. The attorneys who handle appeals max out at GS-14, but I've heard of some attorneys who only handle FOIA requests and make less. They are the minority, though. Then, to get to GS-15, you have to compete to become a Veterans Law Judge or Senior Counsel.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 am

SSA attorneys max out at gs 12, with a competitive promotion opportunity to gs 13 senior atty. At least for the disability adjudication program - it may be different for OGC and other divisions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”