Did I make a mistake by emailing this recruiting attorney? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Did I make a mistake by emailing this recruiting attorney?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:54 pm

I sent an email to my 2L summer supervisor/ recruiting attorney (inhouse of a public entity) saying that I applied for X post-grad fellow position (which generally turns into a fulltime position after) and let me know if that supervisor has questions re my candidacy.

She/he always got back to me before but this time she hasn't replies to me. I started to think that I may have made a mistake..maybe did it look like I was asking for favor or something?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Did I make a mistake by emailing this recruiting attorney?

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I sent an email to my 2L summer supervisor/ recruiting attorney (inhouse of a public entity) saying that I applied for X post-grad fellow position (which generally turns into a fulltime position after) and let me know if that supervisor has questions re my candidacy.

She/he always got back to me before but this time she hasn't replies to me. I started to think that I may have made a mistake..maybe did it look like I was asking for favor or something?
Respectfully, this screams of neuroticism. When did you send this email? What is the hiring timeline at the public entity for the fellowship? Also, if you applied to a position being hired by someone other than the recruiting attorney, how is the recruiting/supervising attorney exactly involved in that process? Will the hiring attorney for the fellowship reach out to your supervising attorney for sure, or are their roles completely separate?

I wouldn't read into the radio silence too much. Your supervising attorney could be busy, or could be uninvolved in the hiring process for the fellowship, or might not have been reached out to yet about your candidacy. This is likely a time to just sit tight and wait for at least one or two chips to fall.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 pm

My ex supervisor is the recruiting attorney. The same person. Thanks for your response.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My ex supervisor is the recruiting attorney. The same person. Thanks for your response.

Sorry, that was unclear in the OP cause it sounded like the post-grad fellowship was distinct from your 2L internship program (and consequently I apologize for chalking it up to neuroses). I'd still say sit tight, but if a week or two passes with radio silence, absolutely follow up with another email or phone call to see what the status of your application review is. It's perfectly normal to ask for some level of transparency from a potential employer, and it will do nothing to hurt your chances of employment if you aren't too aggressive in asking for updates about your application.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:30 am

You made no mistakes, so now just chill. If supervisor hasn't contacted you then maybe they don't have questions about your candidacy. Honestly, I wouldn't reply to candidates unless I absolutely had to. The whole thing is very awkward, specially if you don't think the candidate will make it. (I'm not saying this is you, just making a general statement about the hiring process).

ur_hero

Bronze

Post by ur_hero » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:33 pm

Nothing abnormal or wrong about your request. He/she likely just got busy and did not prioritize your message (and later perhaps forgot about it).

It's impossible to say whether the delayed response is bad or good, so for now, don't stress and just follow-up within a week or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”