Paul Hastings Offer Rate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to throw further shade here, but PH is pretty bad. Certain partners act like you owe them a huge favor for being able to work there/lord their power over you, steal your hours for themselves/pressure you not to bill too much, backbite about other associates/partners, etc. etc. Several associates are being fired left and right for no reason at all, including people who are just slightly below the 2000 hour requirement (I can think of at least 5 examples in the past two months). They are trying to increase their profitability for purposes of rankings, and will stop at nothing to achieve this. Stay away, there are many firms that are better prestige-wise and also treat you humanely.
Appreciate the warning. What practice group are you?
Not the poster above, but the bolded is true of my practice group and I'm in corporate. Seriously, if you can help it, stay away.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not to throw further shade here, but PH is pretty bad. Certain partners act like you owe them a huge favor for being able to work there/lord their power over you, steal your hours for themselves/pressure you not to bill too much, backbite about other associates/partners, etc. etc. Several associates are being fired left and right for no reason at all, including people who are just slightly below the 2000 hour requirement (I can think of at least 5 examples in the past two months). They are trying to increase their profitability for purposes of rankings, and will stop at nothing to achieve this. Stay away, there are many firms that are better prestige-wise and also treat you humanely.
Appreciate the warning. What practice group are you?
Not the poster above, but the bolded is true of my practice group and I'm in corporate. Seriously, if you can help it, stay away.
Don't have the culture problem in my office but we probably over hired, my group is extremely bottom heavy, not sure what they are going to do when the incoming class joins this fall.

pml87

New

Post by pml87 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:10 pm

I can confirm that PH does give out cold offer for no apparent reason rather than the fact that they over-hired for the summer class.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:25 pm

pml87 wrote:I can confirm that PH does give out cold offer for no apparent reason rather than the fact that they over-hired for the summer class.
Or maybe you got cold offered because of your writing skills . . .

pml87

New

Post by pml87 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:47 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
pml87 wrote:I can confirm that PH does give out cold offer for no apparent reason rather than the fact that they over-hired for the summer class.
This is not the first time you acted like a pain in the neck. Is there something wrong with you? Anger management issues, perhaps? No, I didn't summer for PH. You seem so ready to assume ulterior motive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:21 am

pml87 wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
This is not the first time you acted like a pain in the neck. Is there something wrong with you? Anger management issues, perhaps? No, I didn't summer for PH. You seem so ready to assume ulterior motive.
I think no-offering (or cold offering) someone based on poor writing skills is more legitimate than doing the same for over hiring. So no, not ready to assume ulterior motives.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:02 am

Heard from people who summered in the NY office that they drastically overhired, but that the firm said they'd find space for everyone

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Heard from people who summered in the NY office that they drastically overhired, but that the firm said they'd find space for everyone
The firm openly communicated to associates that they over hired? That seems like a bad sign...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 5:30 pm

Just got the talk from the partners in the PH LA office. They are giving me a few months to find another job. I had billables of 1950+ for past few years. Always had excellent performance reviews. Was told that I was significantly below the expected hours rate (apparently unofficially at 2150+). What should I do? Why did I give so many years of my life to this f****** place? Feeling a mix of intense anger and extreme fear/despair.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 6:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the talk from the partners in the PH LA office. They are giving me a few months to find another job. I had billables of 1950+ for past few years. Always had excellent performance reviews. Was told that I was significantly below the expected hours rate (apparently unofficially at 2150+). What should I do? Why did I give so many years of my life to this f****** place? Feeling a mix of intense anger and extreme fear/despair.
Seriously my condolences man, it's quite obvious there is something seriously wrong with PH LA at the moment, business-wise, it's not a reflection on you. The 2150 hours is nonsense, I'm quite confident most people in your group didn't hit that last year. Out of curiosity, are you junior (1-3 years), midlevel, or senior? Obviously start looking and talking to recruiters. Try to ask for more website time (if they offered 3 months, ask for 6 months at least).

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon May 22, 2017 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the talk from the partners in the PH LA office. They are giving me a few months to find another job. I had billables of 1950+ for past few years. Always had excellent performance reviews. Was told that I was significantly below the expected hours rate (apparently unofficially at 2150+). What should I do? Why did I give so many years of my life to this f****** place? Feeling a mix of intense anger and extreme fear/despair.
stop working so hard at the job, and start working out more and sleeping better and all the stuff you wanted to do but didn't quite have the time for, and apply for jobs at less shitty firms.

Given all the issues with the firm I think you can rule out your own shittiness as a factor, don't think of it as getting fired but more like a soft getting laid off
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 26, 2017 12:04 am

PH first year here. It's been communicated in my office that the incoming class is larger than anticipated and they're not sure what they're going to do with them all. Given what's happening at Dechert and the strange circumstances under which the last anon was let go, should PH associates be worried?

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Post by Vincent Adultman » Fri May 26, 2017 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:PH first year here. It's been communicated in my office that the incoming class is larger than anticipated and they're not sure what they're going to do with them all. Given what's happening at Dechert and the strange circumstances under which the last anon was let go, should PH associates be worried?
Nope. Everything sounds like it's going great!

(Jump ship ASAP)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 3:33 pm

I wouldn't start looking unless you aren't busy. Then I would.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 4:08 pm

It wasn't all that long ago when PH shitcanned an associate days after her miscarriage:

http://abovethelaw.com/2008/05/breaking ... s-layoffs/

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Wed May 31, 2017 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It wasn't all that long ago when PH shitcanned an associate days after her miscarriage:

Damn, this is bad.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Remember, this is the BEST FIRM to work for according to various surveys . . . that talent development purposely juices by bugging certain associates to take surveys and not sending it to trouble makers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 31, 2017 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Remember, this is the BEST FIRM to work for according to various surveys . . . that talent development purposely juices by bugging certain associates to take surveys and not sending it to trouble makers.
Every firm goes over the surveys with associates who get them. I got calls from recruiting just to remind me to say good stuff.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Post by HonestAdvice » Wed May 31, 2017 8:14 pm

Pokemon wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It wasn't all that long ago when PH shitcanned an associate days after her miscarriage:

Damn, this is bad.
I'm sure this has happened 100s of time before (death in the family, illness, etc.). She's just the only one who wrote an e-mail about it. I'm not defending it, but am pointing out that human nature is to not to broadcast deeply personal information and that for every story like this there are probably several hundred that go untold.

throwaway6856767

New

Post by throwaway6856767 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:08 pm

So I'm one of the individuals who will be in the LA Office this upcoming summer as a summer associate. Obviously reading this thread, I'm worried, but it's not like I have too many other options at this rate. What would any of y'all suggest for how to approach the situation, besides keeping my eye out and trying to a) see if the above rumors are true and b) obviously putting my best foot forward in terms of work product.

Also, if any of the above posters wouldn't mind PMing me with any other information, that'd be fantastic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:45 pm

m=My significant other has an offer to lateral into litigation at PH SF.

Yay or Nay (keep looking)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:25 pm

At the PH reception in my school, one recruiter told me that they overhired in 2016 and they had to downsize their 2017 summer class.

mister logical

Bronze

Post by mister logical » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:12 am

throwaway6856767 wrote:So I'm one of the individuals who will be in the LA Office this upcoming summer as a summer associate. Obviously reading this thread, I'm worried, but it's not like I have too many other options at this rate. What would any of y'all suggest for how to approach the situation, besides keeping my eye out and trying to a) see if the above rumors are true and b) obviously putting my best foot forward in terms of work product.

Also, if any of the above posters wouldn't mind PMing me with any other information, that'd be fantastic.

general advice is don't fuck up so bad you get no offered, but don't try to be a super star either because that can rub some people the wrong way too, just turn in good work product, be social at social events, and be normal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:m=My significant other has an offer to lateral into litigation at PH SF.

Yay or Nay (keep looking)?

In my experience, the problems discussed on this post are inapplicable to the SF office. No explosive personalities in the litigation department.

BeeTeeZ

Bronze

Post by BeeTeeZ » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are people who've accepted cold offers though and had no issues when they showed up next fall.
Legendary. That is partner material right there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”