Paul Hastings Offer Rate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:17 pm

After searching through TLS, I noticed that PH had some less than stellar years in regards to their offer rate. The past two years they have had a 100% offer rate. My question is whether this recent trend is just due to chance, or if they actually made it a priority to offer 100% of a their class. Thought maybe someone has some inside information.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Paul Hastings Offer Rate

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:After searching through TLS, I noticed that PH had some less than stellar years in regards to their offer rate. The past two years they have had a 100% offer rate. My question is whether this recent trend is just due to chance, or if they actually made it a priority to offer 100% of a their class. Thought maybe someone has some inside information.
What do you consider less than stellar?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:23 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:After searching through TLS, I noticed that PH had some less than stellar years in regards to their offer rate. The past two years they have had a 100% offer rate. My question is whether this recent trend is just due to chance, or if they actually made it a priority to offer 100% of a their class. Thought maybe someone has some inside information.
What do you consider less than stellar?
Not OP. It was like 90-95%.

The firm realized they were getting bad PR with 1Ls and stopped no-offering. Congrats at having assholes as coworkers now.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:25 pm

The managing partners at PH are convinced that there will only be 20 biglaw firms in the next ten years. They are trying to bolster their size and prestige to break into that tier. For the next summer, it's a guarantee they will give 100 % offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:32 pm

I know for a fact some of the west coast offices have cold offered some people in the past few years and that doesn't appear in their statistics.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:38 pm

90-95% is basically 100%. It just means that 1 or 2 people were absolute weirdos.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:24 pm

they used to no offer some and cold offer more, now they just cold offer a lot

cold offer is a lot better than no offer tho, 10000x easier to get a new job as a 3L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:19 pm

What is a "cold offer"?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is a "cold offer"?
We're offering you a job (wink wink), but we feel that you are probably a better fit elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:37 pm

It's when the firm says: "We think you're a bad fit for the firm and don't want you to come back. But in order to maintain our offer rates high and prevent any bad PR for our firm, we're going to give you an offer. You really shouldn't accept it, though, and we strongly recommend that you seek out other employment opportunities as a 3L."

This is infinitely better than a no-offer. B/c when you do 3L OCI or apply to firms outside of OCI as a 3L you can tell the firm you're interviewing with that you received an offer from your 2L firm, but wanted to consider other options. For 3L biglaw hiring, having an offer from a 2L SA biglaw firm is basically required.

There are people who've accepted cold offers though and had no issues when they showed up next fall. Probably not a gamble you wanna take with your career though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
It's when the firm says: "We think you're a bad fit for the firm and don't want you to come back. But in order to maintain our offer rates high and prevent any bad PR for our firm, we're going to give you an offer. You really shouldn't accept it, though, and we strongly recommend that you seek out other employment opportunities as a 3L."

This is infinitely better than a no-offer. B/c when you do 3L OCI or apply to firms outside of OCI as a 3L you can tell the firm you're interviewing with that you received an offer from your 2L firm, but wanted to consider other options. For 3L biglaw hiring, having an offer from a 2L SA biglaw firm is basically required.

There are people who've accepted cold offers though and had no issues when they showed up next fall. Probably not a gamble you wanna take with your career though.
really? lmaoooo in one firm I worked at that gave cold offers (lets say, Houston based firm but with presence in NY and CA) that would notttt go over well lol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:10 am

This is actually the first time I've heard of the cold offer. How do people that were cold offered approach the job search if they strike out at OCI 3L year? It seems like it would be better to work in Biglaw for a year and lateral to another firm than not starting in Biglaw at all.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:The managing partners at PH are convinced that there will only be 20 biglaw firms in the next ten years. They are trying to bolster their size and prestige to break into that tier. For the next summer, it's a guarantee they will give 100 % offers.
whats this based on?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:55 am

Do not go to PH if you can help it. They have been firing people left and right. Source: I work there, and it is a toxic environment.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:41 am

I can confirm that PH has been laying off associates (I have a friend who works there and will be quitting to move to another firm before (s)he gets canned). Apparently, the work has slowed down considerably.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Different anon then the above two, but I can confirm that this is true of the LA office, can't speak for any other offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Damn is this practice area specific? Should current 2Ls and 3Ls headed to Paul Hastings in NY worry?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 pm

a

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do not go to PH if you can help it. They have been firing people left and right. Source: I work there, and it is a toxic environment.
thanks for this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:32 pm

Do you know why they have been firing people? Appreciate the warning

Attrition

New

Post by Attrition » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:35 pm

Can you guys give some office or practice group specifics? Feel free to PM.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do not go to PH if you can help it. They have been firing people left and right. Source: I work there, and it is a toxic environment.
Anonymous User wrote:I can confirm that PH has been laying off associates (I have a friend who works there and will be quitting to move to another firm before (s)he gets canned). Apparently, the work has slowed down considerably.
Anonymous User wrote:Different anon then the above two, but I can confirm that this is true of the LA office, can't speak for any other offices.
Can confirm all of the above, particularly the bolded. I am at a satellite office.

In terms of why, they do not tell us. A lot of information comes via rumors around the office (again, see bolded). People just pack up and disappear with no warning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you know why they have been firing people? Appreciate the warning
Again, I can only speak for LA office, but the reason is economics. They've been pretty slow this year. Corporate and real estate groups, no idea about litigation folks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 pm

Not to throw further shade here, but PH is pretty bad. Certain partners act like you owe them a huge favor for being able to work there/lord their power over you, steal your hours for themselves/pressure you not to bill too much, backbite about other associates/partners, etc. etc. Several associates are being fired left and right for no reason at all, including people who are just slightly below the 2000 hour requirement (I can think of at least 5 examples in the past two months). They are trying to increase their profitability for purposes of rankings, and will stop at nothing to achieve this. Stay away, there are many firms that are better prestige-wise and also treat you humanely.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not to throw further shade here, but PH is pretty bad. Certain partners act like you owe them a huge favor for being able to work there/lord their power over you, steal your hours for themselves/pressure you not to bill too much, backbite about other associates/partners, etc. etc. Several associates are being fired left and right for no reason at all, including people who are just slightly below the 2000 hour requirement (I can think of at least 5 examples in the past two months). They are trying to increase their profitability for purposes of rankings, and will stop at nothing to achieve this. Stay away, there are many firms that are better prestige-wise and also treat you humanely.
Appreciate the warning. What practice group are you?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”