No Work Experience Going Into Law School, Am I In Trouble? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No Work Experience Going Into Law School, Am I In Trouble?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:44 pm

I will be a 1L at a T14 this fall, but I'm already concerned about OCI's and whether my lack of work experience is going to hurt me there. I graduated May of 2016 and studied for the LSAT full time from then until the December exam (no job during this, just full time studying). After that, I traveled for a while and I've been job hunting ever since. So, It's been close to a year since I've graduated and I have NO work experience. I'm hoping I will get a job here soon and work until I have to leave for school to get SOMETHING on my resume, but I'm afraid that big gap since graduation is going to look really bad. Should I consider delaying law school to get WE?

4LTsPointingNorth

Bronze

Re: No Work Experience Going Into Law School, Am I In Trouble?

Post by 4LTsPointingNorth » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:56 pm

You'll be fine--lots of people have similar stories. The only real concern is whether you can put a good spin on your gap year in a 20 second interview answer.

Come up with one or two productive things you've spent your time on aside from studying for the LSAT that you can discuss. Traveling/volunteering/etc. are all fine.

Anonymous User

Re: No Work Experience Going Into Law School, Am I In Trouble?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:02 pm

I don't think you necessarily have to delay going to school just to work if you've already gotten accepted. I graduated May of 2016 too and went straight through. I never had a "real job", everything I did was internships in college yet I still landed a summer associate position after my first semester. I didn't even work my last semester of college. You can do volunteer work or intern somewhere in the meantime. And the official OCI is not until the summer after your first year so you still have time to put something on your resume before then.

Btw, this forum is not for 0L's for future references just in case. Come back when you're a student. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”