Concurrent employment for two judges on different courts Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ihadadream

New

Concurrent employment for two judges on different courts

Post by ihadadream » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:46 pm

Hello. If federal judges were confident with your ability to hold down two jobs, do you think they would let you hold concurrent employment with another judge? For instance, say you had a 9-5 with one judge, but then worked full-time remotely as a pro se law clerk for a different federal district court.

Thanks for the information.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Re: Concurrent employment for two judges on different courts

Post by kellyfrost » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 pm

ihadadream wrote:Hello. If federal judges were confident with your ability to hold down two jobs, do you think they would let you hold concurrent employment with another judge? For instance, say you had a 9-5 with one judge, but then worked full-time remotely as a pro se law clerk for a different federal district court.

I think you are thinking about this inversely.

Is a federal district court going to want a pro Se law clerk who already had a full time gig with another federal judge? No.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:10 pm

I don't know how you could hold down a "9-5" with one employer and simultaneously work "full time" for another. Would you be working eighty-plus-hour weeks or just half-assing two things?

ETA to be as clear as possible, my answer is no, although mostly because I don't ever see your "if" statement being true.

ihadadream

New

Post by ihadadream » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:13 am

First of all, both of the positions are pro se clerkships. Second, while I know it's unlikely, some courts actually struggle to get qualified pro se law clerks. Say there is a court that really wants the person. He agrees to work 40 hours a week for them, but also wants to work remotely for another court doing the same job. He says that he will not work on anything for the other court during his standard 40-hour work week.

I'm asking because I know that there are some telecommuting pro se law clerks (federal court) who also have their own law practices. I know this for a fact.

My question has more to do with the legality/ethics of it. Is there some kind of legal or ethical barrier that you guys/girls can think of?

Thanks!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:19 am

i'm asking because I know that there are some telecommuting pro se law clerks (federal court) who also have their own law practices. I know this for a fact.
This seems like a pretty blatant violation of judicial ethics code

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:42 am

los blancos wrote:
i'm asking because I know that there are some telecommuting pro se law clerks (federal court) who also have their own law practices. I know this for a fact.
Yeah, at pp 11-12 of http://www.uscourts.gov/sites/default/f ... ch03_0.pdf.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:47 am

I really don't understand how this would be remotely feasible, or worthwhile.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I really don't understand how this would be remotely feasible, or worthwhile.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:53 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I really don't understand how this would be remotely feasible, or worthwhile.
Or ethical.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:35 pm

jrf12886 wrote:
Or ethical.
What's the ethical issue?

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:39 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:
Or ethical.
Under Canon 4(D), clerks are prohibited from practicing law (other than certain limited exceptions). I know clerking isn't technically considered practice of law so holding two clerkships may technically be ok. But the purpose of that prohibition seems to be limiting the clerk's legal work to that assigned by the judge. Taking on another legal position could be a violation depending on how the two judges read the rule.
Last edited by jrf12886 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:42 pm

jrf12886 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:
Or ethical.
Under Canon 4(D), clerks are prohibited from practicing law (other than certain limited exceptions). I know clerking isn't technically considered practice of law so holding two clerkships may technically be ok. But the purpose of that prohibition seems to be limiting the clerk's legal work to that assigned by the judge. Taking on another legal position could be a violation depending on how the two judges read the rule.
The bolded is more than just a technicality. I doubt any judge would read that rule as prohibiting a clerk from working for two judges at the same time. There are many, many reasons why a judge wouldn't want a clerk working simultaneously for another judge, but I don't think that ethical concerns would be among those reasons.

jrf12886

Bronze

Post by jrf12886 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:49 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:
Or ethical.
The bolded is more than just a technicality. I doubt any judge would read that rule as prohibiting a clerk from working for two judges at the same time. There are many, many reasons why a judge wouldn't want a clerk working simultaneously for another judge, but I don't think that ethical concerns would be among those reasons.
That's fair. It's just something I would give some thought to in OP's position.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:57 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
jrf12886 wrote:
Or ethical.
I work for a court where some judges share staff on a rotating basis (monthly or every few weeks), and there's frequently overlap for finishing up projects or getting ready for things that happen on specific dates (preparing for hearings, assisting with trial, etc.) during which a clerk might "simultaneously" work for both judges. If it's not totally permissible I think it's at least a grey area, and getting two judges to sign on for this "simultaneous full time" arrangement is probably going to be a bigger obstacle.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:05 pm

mjb447 wrote: I work for a court where some judges share staff on a rotating basis (monthly or every few weeks), and there's frequently overlap for finishing up projects or getting ready for things that happen on specific dates (preparing for hearings, assisting with trial, etc.) during which a clerk might "simultaneously" work for both judges.
At least at the federal appellate level, the sharing of clerks is not that uncommon, particularly where one of the judges has senior status. To use a timely example, Neil Gorsuch clerked for Byron White and Anthony Kennedy at the same on SCOTUS.

These arrangements, though, generally happen where there are two judges on the same court, and where one of the judges has a reduced caseload for one reason or another. OP is talking about two different courts, with a full-time load at each court. I just don't think that will work.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:17 pm

rpupkin wrote:
mjb447 wrote: I work for a court where some judges share staff on a rotating basis (monthly or every few weeks), and there's frequently overlap for finishing up projects or getting ready for things that happen on specific dates (preparing for hearings, assisting with trial, etc.) during which a clerk might "simultaneously" work for both judges.
At least at the federal appellate level, the sharing of clerks is not that uncommon, particularly where one of the judges has senior status. To use a timely example, Neil Gorsuch clerked for Byron White and Anthony Kennedy at the same on SCOTUS.

These arrangements, though, generally happen where there are two judges on the same court, and where one of the judges has a reduced caseload for one reason or another. OP is talking about two different courts, with a full-time load at each court. I just don't think that will work.
Oh, sure; I was just noting re: "ethical issues" that clerk sharing is pretty uncontroversial in and of itself, even if it results in occasionally serving two masters simultaneously. Like I said upthread, I agree that the particular wrinkles in OP's situation (different courts and in particular two full-time caseloads) make this unfeasible, and I doubt two judges will sign on.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:19 pm

mjb447 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Oh, sure; I was just noting re: "ethical issues" that clerk sharing is pretty uncontroversial in and of itself, even if it results in occasionally serving two masters simultaneously. Like I said upthread, I agree that the particular wrinkles in OP's situation (different courts and in particular two full-time caseloads) make this unfeasible, and I doubt two judges will sign on.
I understood you. I was just supporting what you were saying with some additional context.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:27 pm

rpupkin wrote:
mjb447 wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I understood you. I was just supporting what you were saying with some additional context.
Ah, gotcha. Picking up tone on TLS is not a strength of mine.

ihadadream

New

Post by ihadadream » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:54 pm

For what it's worth, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:57 pm

los blancos wrote:
Like me, I guess they don't know the rules. Or maybe they are not classified as a law clerk somehow?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Like me, I guess they don't know the rules. Or maybe they are not classified as a law clerk somehow?
The Code of Conduct applies to basically all non-judge employees of the judicial branch (including interns, externs, and volunteers), so an 'oversight' seems more likely.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 pm

ihadadream wrote:Thanks for the information.

You don't see anything wrong with holding two 40-hour jobs at the same time?

ihadadream

New

Post by ihadadream » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:54 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Are you saying they would have to pay me overtime? I know know labor law.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:17 am

ihadadream wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I think the problem is that you don't know life.

Forget all about law or rules for a minute—how do you think this could work in a logistical sense?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:53 am

rpupkin wrote:
ihadadream wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I think the problem is that you don't know *know* life.

Forget all about law or rules for a minute—how do you think this could work in a logistical sense?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”