Cheap housing around Boston (Downtown / FiDi) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cheap housing around Boston (Downtown / FiDi)

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:55 pm

I'd like to be able to walk to work at my firm in Boston. Think FiDi, Downtown areas (and maybe North End or Chinatown). I'd love to be able to spend under $2000 on rent alone for a studio or 1BR. Anyone have any recommendations? (i.e. apartment complexes, etc.)

jayohtee

New

Re: Cheap housing around Boston (Downtown / FiDi)

Post by jayohtee » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:12 pm

I think your best bet is probably the North End, most of which are privately owned units, not apartment buildings Main problem with the North End is that the units are usually in old buildings and pretty small. There are some apartment buildings in the West End that might be worth looking at, though that walk would be a little further. The Financial District doesn't have a ton of apartment buildings/housing options, but you may be able to find something. Downtown Crossing/Chinatown area (which is basically the residential area closest to the Financial District) may have some stuff in your budget, but a lot of it is being redeveloped into luxury, hi-rise buildings that will be way more than $2K a month. You could try to find something in Beacon Hill by the State House, which wouldn't be a terrible walk to downtown. Beacon Hill has a rep for being pricey, but there are also usually a fair number of deals that you can find. But, like the North End, the buildings are old and units tend to be small. Unfortunately, the nicer residential areas (Back Bay and South End) aren't walking distance to downtown.

Just as an aside, a lot of Boston real estate comes on the market either 6/1 or 9/1, and you'll usually have to go through a broker, so when you put down a deposit for an apartment, you'll end up paying first month, last month, security deposit and realtor fee (equal to 4 months rent) up front. It sucks, but it's how the market works.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:51 am

What do you consider walking distance? Is this only for summer? If so, you can walk from Fenway to the financial district in 35ish min, and from back bay in about 25 min. There will be a lot more options in your price range as you get further out. North end is possible, but I doubt you can find a sublet in the north end if this is for the summer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:19 pm

OP here. This is long term, not for summer only.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”