Technology Transactions in NYC?? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Technology Transactions in NYC??

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:34 pm

Anyone got any insight into Tech Trans in New York?

I know there are resources like Chambers Partners, Vault, and IAM 1000, but I was wondering if anyone had any first-hand/anecdotal experience with the Tech Trans groups in NYC? I will be starting in a patent pros group, but am thinking I may want to have an eye toward a more IP transactional focus, so as to not get pigeon-holed into prep and pros.

Anonymous User

Re: Technology Transactions in NYC??

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:24 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:52 am

I'm an 8th year associate who does Tech Transactions in NYC. I've been at two different firms (both V10). Only thing I'd warn you about is that in a lot of firms (particularly the "top" ones), "tech transactions" basically means you provide IP support on their M&A deals. In other words, all you really do is IP related diligence (patent/trademark searches, reviewing license agreements, analyzing IP disputes, etc) and then negotiating the IP provisions in the purchase agreements and other related documents. You're essentially a support group and your chances of being an equity partner will be slim (if you care about that). If you're really looking to to get into it I'd suggest looking at firms where "tech transactions" does more of its own stand alone work, rather than just supporting the corporate group (MoFo and Wilson Sonsini are good options, for example). Good luck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:50 am

Any insight into IT/outsourcing? i.e, data management / cybersecurity, drafting master service agreements, negotiating as-a-service offerings, etc...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any insight into IT/outsourcing? i.e, data management / cybersecurity, drafting master service agreements, negotiating as-a-service offerings, etc...
I do a lot of this kind of stuff now. The reason why I left my first firm was because long term I wanted to go in-house and I was doing way too much of the M&A "deal support" stuff (which doesn't give you a whole lot of marketable skills for in-house positions since that kind of work is almost always done entirely with law firms). I lateralled to another firm where I do a lot of software licensing, data licensing, cyber security, MSA's, etc. This stuff makes you very marketable for in-house jobs since every big company needs people to do this kind of work. I'm currently waiting for my bonus and then jumping shit for an in-house job with a tech company (think Microsoft, Apple, Google, type company).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any insight into IT/outsourcing? i.e, data management / cybersecurity, drafting master service agreements, negotiating as-a-service offerings, etc...
I do a lot of this kind of stuff now. The reason why I left my first firm was because long term I wanted to go in-house and I was doing way too much of the M&A "deal support" stuff (which doesn't give you a whole lot of marketable skills for in-house positions since that kind of work is almost always done entirely with law firms). I lateralled to another firm where I do a lot of software licensing, data licensing, cyber security, MSA's, etc. This stuff makes you very marketable for in-house jobs since every big company needs people to do this kind of work. I'm currently waiting for my bonus and then jumping shit for an in-house job with a tech company (think Microsoft, Apple, Google, type company).
super helpful. thanks for the insight!

any thoughts on firms in nyc that lean more toward that kind of work, as opposed to the deal support side of things? that is, if you can give that info into that without outing yourself. i'm not entirely sure how long the list of firms might be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:36 pm

I can't really say the specific firms I've worked for without outing myself, but in terms of firms that are known for very strong stand alone practices, that would probably be Wilson Sonsini, Cooley, MoFo, Fenwick and Gunderson Dettmer. That's not an exhaustive list by any means though.

The firms that tend more towards deal support as you can probably imagine are those that have power house M&A groups (e.g., Cravath, K&E, Skadden, STB, Sullivan, etc). They have so much M&A work to do you simply wouldn't have time to do stand alone stuff even if you wanted to.

This is the kind of thing you should specifically ask about if you're ever interviewing for one of these jobs (although fair warning that partners at the M&A shops will probably try to tell you that you'll get a "great mix" of work but in my experience this is almost never true, ask the more junior associates what the work break down is like if you want a more honest assessment).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can't really say the specific firms I've worked for without outing myself, but in terms of firms that are known for very strong stand alone practices, that would probably be Wilson Sonsini, Cooley, MoFo, Fenwick and Gunderson Dettmer. That's not an exhaustive list by any means though.

The firms that tend more towards deal support as you can probably imagine are those that have power house M&A groups (e.g., Cravath, K&E, Skadden, STB, Sullivan, etc). They have so much M&A work to do you simply wouldn't have time to do stand alone stuff even if you wanted to.

This is the kind of thing you should specifically ask about if you're ever interviewing for one of these jobs (although fair warning that partners at the M&A shops will probably try to tell you that you'll get a "great mix" of work but in my experience this is almost never true, ask the more junior associates what the work break down is like if you want a more honest assessment).
thanks for your help! best of luck with your transition in-house

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm

thanks so much for the answers! muchhhhh needed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:04 pm

To what extent does a bachelors or masters in engineering give a competitive advantage in the tech trans space?
Obviously a USPTO reg. number isn't required, but does it help?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To what extent does a bachelors or masters in engineering give a competitive advantage in the tech trans space?
Obviously a USPTO reg. number isn't required, but does it help?
It doesn't hurt, but probably won't give you as a big a leg up as you imagine. Of all the people I have worked with in tech transactions across both my firms (roughly 50 or so people), I'd say maybe 10% had some type of sciences background. Personally I was an engineering major, but I haven't really found anything in my major to be particularly helpful to my practice. I'm sure it looks good on my resume for clients though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can't really say the specific firms I've worked for without outing myself, but in terms of firms that are known for very strong stand alone practices, that would probably be Wilson Sonsini, Cooley, MoFo, Fenwick and Gunderson Dettmer. That's not an exhaustive list by any means though.

are there ways to try and get a feel for whether a group tends to be more stand alone or more support based on their website/attorney profiles or other marketing materials?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:are there ways to try and get a feel for whether a group tends to be more stand alone or more support based on their website/attorney profiles or other marketing materials?
You can certainly use those resources, but I do think you're best bet is to actually to try to talk to people within the tech trans groups at firms that interest you and just ask what they are actually working on. I know my first firm had all kinds of marketing materials touting all the innovative "outsourcing" work they did and the partners online bios were full of references to this kind of work, but in the 5 years i worked there, my work was 90% M&A support. Recruiters often have a sense of the work flow as well since they talk to a lot of associates at each firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:are there ways to try and get a feel for whether a group tends to be more stand alone or more support based on their website/attorney profiles or other marketing materials?
You can certainly use those resources, but I do think you're best bet is to actually to try to talk to people within the tech trans groups at firms that interest you and just ask what they are actually working on. I know my first firm had all kinds of marketing materials touting all the innovative "outsourcing" work they did and the partners online bios were full of references to this kind of work, but in the 5 years i worked there, my work was 90% M&A support. Recruiters often have a sense of the work flow as well since they talk to a lot of associates at each firm.
good to know, thanks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:48 pm

are you basing this list just on national reputation? because cooley has like two partners and one associate in nyc who are listed as being in their tech trans group

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”