1L Summer: unpaid legal or paid legal-ish? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

1L Summer: unpaid legal or paid legal-ish?

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:37 pm

So I have two offers for the summer, and they both want me to give an answer by Friday. Both are in the same area, so CoL and/or moving isn't an issue.

The first is a Legal Aid position. Unpaid, but lots of litigation work for interns (I want to do litigation).

The second is a Legislative and Political Internship and pays 5K for the summer. The actual job responsibilities are "working on a variety of critical environmental issues; direct experience with legislative and administrative structures; analyzing and developing public policy on timely issues; communicating with a variety of environmental groups; and utilizing research, writing, networking, and message development skills. The position will also provide an opportunity to engage in LCV’s political strategy. It will provide an opportunity to interact with legislators, both formally and informally."

Obviously I want the one with money, but I don't want to strike out at OCI this upcoming summer because my internship didn't have as many legal responsibilities as others. Will it matter? Or is ANY legal experience enough?

Or my third option is to do a hail mary, say no to both, and pray to heavens that some other opportunity will present itself :shock:

RareExports

Silver

Re: 1L Summer: unpaid legal or paid legal-ish?

Post by RareExports » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:16 pm

What is your career path? What things are you interested in? Litigation is pretty broad.

I doubt your choice will make much of a difference at OCI, unless you are specifically interviewing with legal aid organizations or legislative/policy groups. Both positions are legal enough to give you something about which to talk. $5,000 is nice (and you should treat it as $6,000 or so after foregone interest and loan fees), but on the other hand, if you are more interested in the legal aid position or public interest work, the $5,000 may be insignificant in the long run of your entire career.

magicmagic

New

Post by magicmagic » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Yeah, I don't think it really matters. They're both legal enough to give you some experience. I would choose based on career goals/personal preference.

Good luck!

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:51 pm

The paid one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”