How Truthful Are Recruiting Calls? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How Truthful Are Recruiting Calls?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:35 pm

I am a first year associate at a lower-ranked biglaw firm practicing in restructuring/bankruptcy. I'm starting to get a lot of calls from recruiting agencies along the lines of "your practice area, bankruptcy, is very active right now, we have significant upstream opportunities for you to explore, etc."

Are these generally just "sales tactics" or is there any truth to them? It's my understanding that it is very difficult for a first year (especially only 5 months in) to lateral to another firm.

kau11

New

Re: How Truthful Are Recruiting Calls?

Post by kau11 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a first year associate at a lower-ranked biglaw firm practicing in restructuring/bankruptcy. I'm starting to get a lot of calls from recruiting agencies along the lines of "your practice area, bankruptcy, is very active right now, we have significant upstream opportunities for you to explore, etc."

Are these generally just "sales tactics" or is there any truth to them? It's my understanding that it is very difficult for a first year (especially only 5 months in) to lateral to another firm.
For what it's worth, I have heard that hiring in bankruptcy/restructuring is strong in NY/DE right now. I don't think this is as true in other markets.

I can't speak as to the difficulty of lateralling as a first year, though I'm sure there are others who can.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: How Truthful Are Recruiting Calls?

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:48 pm

Retail BK is blowing up right now. Not surprised if bigger shops need more bodies.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”