Moving for 2L SA position, relocation expenses? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving for 2L SA position, relocation expenses?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:36 pm

Hey all,

I'm moving from the East coast to fairly high cost of living area out West for my 2L summer position. The firm hasn't mentioned anything about relocation expenses though, and I'm not expecting to have much money by the end of the semester. Is it standard to get a salary advance, or is that just something some firms offer and others don't?

If not, how do people pay for an apartment etc. up front? More loans?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Moving for 2L SA position, relocation expenses?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:13 pm

One of my friends is going to work at a firm that didn't explicitly offer a salary advance, but when she asked, they gave her a few thousand dollars.

I'd just politely ask the recruiting coordinator.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 pm

Never heard of anyone getting relocation expenses for a summer gig, but I agree that it isn't unheard of to ask for an advance (if you make clear the purpose is for moving).

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:47 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Never heard of anyone getting relocation expenses for a summer gig, but I agree that it isn't unheard of to ask for an advance (if you make clear the purpose is for moving).
To be clear, is this for an SA, or are you looking for relocation for after graduation? The former is pretty laughable, but the latter is completely understandable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:53 pm

Incoming SA in a big law firm in NYC. FWIW, firm offered to pay for travel expenses.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Incoming SA in a big law firm in NYC. FWIW, firm offered to pay for travel expenses.
Reimbursed as a loan, or as a free stipend? And did it include moving expenses, or just traveling to NYC? These are wildly different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 am

Another incoming 2L SA here going to a V20, non-NY market. Firm provided a small free stipend to cover travel expenses.

raptors_delight

New

Post by raptors_delight » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:29 am

It's biglaw standard to cover travel expenses (i.e., plane ticket plus fees for a few checked bags or the cost to ship a few boxes of belongings, car rental fee plus gas, etc.). Firm is not gonna pay full-on relocation expenses for an SA, and you will be laughed all the way to the unemployment line if you ask them to do so.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:37 am

Firm paid for flight plus checked bag when I came for my SA. Wouldn't have thought to ask for more and would advise against it... but asking about plane ticket is fine. Lots of places will do that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:50 am

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Incoming SA in a big law firm in NYC. FWIW, firm offered to pay for travel expenses.
Reimbursed as a loan, or as a free stipend? And did it include moving expenses, or just traveling to NYC? These are wildly different.
Stipend for flight for SO and I, checked bags, and probably Uber if I wanted to push it.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:09 am

UVA2B wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Never heard of anyone getting relocation expenses for a summer gig, but I agree that it isn't unheard of to ask for an advance (if you make clear the purpose is for moving).
To be clear, is this for an SA, or are you looking for relocation for after graduation? The former is pretty laughable, but the latter is completely understandable.
Isn't OP mainly asking whether firms do salary advances for relocation reasons? Seems reasonable; why is everyone so hot and bothered?

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 am

Just to be clear, everyone here who is posting that the firm is willing to pay for the flight/some relocation costs is referring to a summer associateship?

malleus discentium

Silver

Post by malleus discentium » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:58 am

raptors_delight wrote:It's biglaw standard to cover travel expenses (i.e., plane ticket plus fees for a few checked bags or the cost to ship a few boxes of belongings, car rental fee plus gas, etc.). Firm is not gonna pay full-on relocation expenses for an SA, and you will be laughed all the way to the unemployment line if you ask them to do so.
This is definitely true for big NYC firms. It might not be the case for other markets or smaller firms, but it is standard enough to ask about it. Flights for an SO are not standard, though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thisiswater

Silver

Post by thisiswater » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:01 am

The Texas firm I'm going to for my summer has offered flight/bag checks/cab into town or gas and mileage for the drive. I assumed that was standard

OP I would ask but if you feel uncomfortable can you get a credit card to put the ticket on.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:06 am

I think OP is more concerned about upfront costs - I.e. First month rent. If I were in your shoes, I'd save up some cash now and live off a cc for a bit (a lot of times first month rent and such can't be paid on cc). Pay your expenses w/cash or check, and Just pay off the credit card w/ first paycheck.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:36 am

candidlatke wrote:Just to be clear, everyone here who is posting that the firm is willing to pay for the flight/some relocation costs is referring to a summer associateship?
Yes. Flight, bag, and cab ride were specified. Haven't started full time yet, so I'm not confusing the two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:36 am

RaceJudicata wrote:I think OP is more concerned about upfront costs - I.e. First month rent. If I were in your shoes, I'd save up some cash now and live off a cc for a bit (a lot of times first month rent and such can't be paid on cc). Pay your expenses w/cash or check, and Just pay off the credit card w/ first paycheck.
RaceJudicata wrote:I think OP is more concerned about upfront costs - I.e. First month rent. If I were in your shoes, I'd save up some cash now and live off a cc for a bit (a lot of times first month rent and such can't be paid on cc). Pay your expenses w/cash or check, and Just pay off the credit card w/ first paycheck.
If that's the case, my summer firm also offered an advance to cover fees, deposits and upfront rent. I think firms get that renting in NYC is hard to do on a student budget. I had to pay everything upfront for my summer sublet (like $6500--which I ended up effectively funding with student loans), and my spouse and I paid probably $15,000+ OOP between broker's fee, first, last and security (much of which was funded with salary advance and some of which was refunded by the firm) when we moved here permanently. Point being, moving to NYC can be prohibitively expensive, especially for a student, and I don't think it's unreasonable to tell recruiting that you're having a hard time finding housing given the enormous upfront costs and need an advance to manage it. If you ask them to reimburse a broker's fee or pay to move all your shit cross-country, you're gonna have a bad time, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:23 am

My firm also paid for my flight, bags, and Uber when I moved west for the summer.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:27 am

My firm on the West Coast paid for my flights and offered a salary advance. I'd ask.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:23 pm

Going to a delaware firm. Think they will pay for flight? Should I reach out now or just ask once SA begins? (under 200 attys total, so not a mega firm like others)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:25 pm

woops, above poster. accidental double post

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Going to a delaware firm. Think they will pay for flight? Should I reach out now or just ask once SA begins? (under 200 attys total, so not a mega firm like others)
I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask whether ANY employer (unless you have a particular reason to think it's not reasonable) will cover the cost of a flight to relocate. Totally within reason to send an email asking whether that's something they're able to do and asking for the protocol (e.g., you get reimbursed versus they pay up front) if so.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”