Is this inappropriate? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Is this inappropriate?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:39 pm

I am 2L who has an SA at a big law firm in SF. I am still looking for housing and have reached out to everyone I know in the Bay to say, "hey if you hear about anything let me know." Nothing has manifested yet. Would it be inappropriate to reach out to a first year (now second year) who interviewed me and with whom I really clicked to ask her to let me know if she hears of anyone leaving town for the summer. We are about the same age. I have been doing all the usual things like checking Craigslist and Facebook groups, but would like to have any and all feelers out. I also don't want to overstep though.

runinthefront

Gold

Re: Is this inappropriate?

Post by runinthefront » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:18 pm

Email recruiting before doing anything else
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:23 pm

I'd ask to live w/ a mid level so you can get a more thorough experience.

redsox550

Post by redsox550 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:35 pm

I think it is weird to contact the firm or anyone in it about this. Not only that but it shows you are incapable of doing things on your own (finding an apt) would strongly advise against

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 pm

redsox550 wrote:I think it is weird to contact the firm or anyone in it about this. Not only that but it shows you are incapable of doing things on your own (finding an apt) would strongly advise against
Finding summer sublets in a new city can be tricky. Reaching out to HR is a fine move imo.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:48 pm

There are plenty of Berkeley sublets going on. I just saw one the other day for $1300, clean apartment, 5 min walk to bart.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:48 pm

There are plenty of Berkeley sublets going on. I just saw one the other day for $1300, clean apartment, 5 min walk to bart.

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 pm

I'd second emailing recruiting. They probably deal with this every year and will hopefully have some good leads for you.

I disagree with the poster above who thought emailing an associate would make you look weird and/or incompetent. Everyone here knows how tough it is to find housing and were in your shoes not too long ago.

That said, it is recruiting's job to care about you as a summer associate, so they're going to be more inclined to help. I'd probably be sympathetic to a summer who sent me a similar email but quite honestly wouldn't have the bandwidth to put too much time into thinking about it beyond the 5 seconds it took me to read the email.

If you have a friend at a school in the area (SLS/Berkeley/Hastings, etc) ask them to forward you emails from their listserv. I get emails to my alumni account all the time about sublets.

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:58 pm

I don't think it'd be inappropriate at all to email recruiting. Housing is a shitshow in the Bay, and I bet they'd be happy to help.

I go to school in the Bay - if you'd be interested, shoot me a PM, and I'd be happy to forward you the sublets from our listserv.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am 2L who has an SA at a big law firm in SF. I am still looking for housing and have reached out to everyone I know in the Bay to say, "hey if you hear about anything let me know." Nothing has manifested yet. Would it be inappropriate to reach out to a first year (now second year) who interviewed me and with whom I really clicked to ask her to let me know if she hears of anyone leaving town for the summer. We are about the same age. I have been doing all the usual things like checking Craigslist and Facebook groups, but would like to have any and all feelers out. I also don't want to overstep though.
I am a 1L at Hastings and know MANY people looking to sublet for the summer. They are posting on a closed FB group, but I think also on CL.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:59 pm

merde_happens wrote:I'd second emailing recruiting. They probably deal with this every year and will hopefully have some good leads for you.

I disagree with the poster above who thought emailing an associate would make you look weird and/or incompetent. Everyone here knows how tough it is to find housing and were in your shoes not too long ago.

That said, it is recruiting's job to care about you as a summer associate, so they're going to be more inclined to help. I'd probably be sympathetic to a summer who sent me a similar email but quite honestly wouldn't have the bandwidth to put too much time into thinking about it beyond the 5 seconds it took me to read the email.

If you have a friend at a school in the area (SLS/Berkeley/Hastings, etc) ask them to forward you emails from their listserv. I get emails to my alumni account all the time about sublets.
Agree with all this. First step is recruiting, not totally weird to email an associate but not that likely to be helpful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”