Labor and employment law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Labor and employment law

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi,

I have an interview coming up with a labor and employment firm and would like to know if anyone has good resources for me to learn more about the area.

JDanger007

New

Re: Labor and employment law

Post by JDanger007 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:14 pm

onlabor.org
jdsupra

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Know the difference between labor law and employment law. I made that mistake during my first l&e interview.

Awkwardddd.

Chambers associate good starting point. Also figure out what they do - big differences b/w FLSA and Title VII or ERISA.

pml87

New

Post by pml87 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:15 pm

Your question leads me to think that this interview is part of OCI. If so, any guide is only a starter. You would have to do the leg work at actually figuring out what the firm does. For employment, are they employer/employee side? Some firms have a visceral reaction to the opposite side, and all are zealous for their clients' cause. The same with labor, are they mostly representing unions or employers? The practices of employer/employee sides are widely different. Here is a guide I found to be helpful: http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... nt2012.pdf. But, again, it is only the start.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Post by tyroneslothrop1 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:42 pm

Why employment law? Well, there are two reasons: (1) employment is a complex and ever changing area of the law; and (2) employment work comes with a significant human component. The cases often boil down to people and the things that make people tick.

... or at least that is what I say during employment law lateral interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:25 pm

This is a little off topic, but I was hoping that someone in this thread would be able to speak to the difference in the type of work that an associate does at a traditional labor and employment firm (Littler, Jackson Lewis) as opposed to a big law firm with a large L&E department (Morgan Lewis,Proskauer).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”