What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Anonymous User

Re: What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:12 am

Is it bronchitis or allergy season? It sure sounds like it.

Anonymous User

Re: What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:10 am

Get over it or ask- privately- to be moved. If it's all day every day, they probably can't help it and are probably more aware of it than you are, and probably self-conscious. I speak from experience.

It could be GERD, or a pulmonary condition, or any number of things and if it's constant it's probably not something they can do less of or be more quiet about.

If it bothers you, you move or wear headphones or shut the door to your office. Don't ask them to stop. Don't ask them to be more quiet. Don't put a cough drop on their desk. You could ask them if they're okay, once, but only if you can do it without coming off as a total dick.

Filing a complaint is cruel. Next time you get sick or have allergies, try to consciously stop coughing or clearing your throat. It's impossible. If he's been promoted, he's probably, gasp, good at his job even though he coughs.

Ugh. You all are awful.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Get over it or ask- privately- to be moved. If it's all day every day, they probably can't help it and are probably more aware of it than you are, and probably self-conscious. I speak from experience.

It could be GERD, or a pulmonary condition, or any number of things and if it's constant it's probably not something they can do less of or be more quiet about.

If it bothers you, you move or wear headphones or shut the door to your office. Don't ask them to stop. Don't ask them to be more quiet. Don't put a cough drop on their desk. You could ask them if they're okay, once, but only if you can do it without coming off as a total dick.

Filing a complaint is cruel. Next time you get sick or have allergies, try to consciously stop coughing or clearing your throat. It's impossible. If he's been promoted, he's probably, gasp, good at his job even though he coughs.

Ugh. You all are awful.
This is an awful use of anon.

OP, I think we've overlooked the obvious answer: leave the legal profession and become a nun/monk/jedi. You can contemplate the deeper meaning of the coughing in silence.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:53 am

I told myself I wasn't going to do this, but after being lectured about having my office door closed all day for multiple days, I decided to voice my concern to the person I report to.

He is aware and understood. He said HR is aware but they have no real solutions since he has been moved so many times and they get multiple requests to move him once he is relocated.

I asked if I could be relocated. I was told that they have received as many requests for others to be moved as they have received to have the cougher move. Apparently
people ask for him to be relocated and learn he has been relocated multiple times already so then they ask to be moved. So there is a waiting list for relocations and an office space that simply cannot accommodate everyone's request.

This is beyond frustrating.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:43 pm

This is my favorite thread on TLS and I can't wait for the next update.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:27 pm

Recommend him for a secondment?

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I told myself I wasn't going to do this, but after being lectured about having my office door closed all day for multiple days, I decided to voice my concern to the person I report to.

He is aware and understood. He said HR is aware but they have no real solutions since he has been moved so many times and they get multiple requests to move him once he is relocated.

I asked if I could be relocated. I was told that they have received as many requests for others to be moved as they have received to have the cougher move. Apparently
people ask for him to be relocated and learn he has been relocated multiple times already so then they ask to be moved. So there is a waiting list for relocations and an office space that simply cannot accommodate everyone's request.

This is beyond frustrating.
Will they at least now let you keep your door closed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:15 am

HR has informed that they will not be honoring any relocation requests as they have received too many and there is not enough office space to accommodate these requests fairly.

The door shutting has become quite a problem apparently, I was not aware this was such a problem until now. Everyone is being asked to abide by the "open door" policy within reason.

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HR has informed that they will not be honoring any relocation requests as they have received too many and there is not enough office space to accommodate these requests fairly.

The door shutting has become quite a problem apparently, I was not aware this was such a problem until now. Everyone is being asked to abide by the "open door" policy within reason.
What if you hired an artist to paint a "3D" picture of the interior of your office on your door so that your door always looked open?

Please pass along my congratulations to the cougher on his promotion. Very exciting and definitely deserved.

smallfirmassociate

Bronze

Post by smallfirmassociate » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:43 pm

This keeps getting better. They can't fire him unless they have made every reasonable accommodation, plus they don't want to because he's good at his job. So if you quit, is it a constructive discharge? LOL what a shitshow.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Maybe I missed this, but does the cougher have his door closed?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:48 pm

I cleared my throat three times today. Waiting to see if I finally get an office with a window.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:08 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Maybe I missed this, but does the cougher have his door closed?
Cougher does not have an office. He is in a cubicle located directly outside several offices. He has been moved around from cube to cube several times after the complaints are made.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Maybe I missed this, but does the cougher have his door closed?
Cougher does not have an office. He is in a cubicle located directly outside several offices. He has been moved around from cube to cube several times after the complaints are made.
So is cougher an atty or staff? If he's staff and causing this much of a problem in the office he should just be let go. Staff is supposed to help the attys, not make their job more difficult

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:02 pm

Treat him like Milton Waddams from Office Space and move him to the basement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
So is cougher an atty or staff? If he's staff and causing this much of a problem in the office he should just be let go. Staff is supposed to help the attys, not make their job more difficult
ADA. They should give him a real office and let him close his door. That seems like a reasonable accommodation that everyone could get on board with...

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I told myself I wasn't going to do this, but after being lectured about having my office door closed all day for multiple days, I decided to voice my concern to the person I report to.
Lol what kind of firm are you at? I don't think I've ever left my door open at anytime while I've practiced. Knock bitches.

encore1101

Silver

Post by encore1101 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Maybe he got a new haircut and he's just waiting for people to notice.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:46 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ADA. They should give him a real office and let him close his door. That seems like a reasonable accommodation that everyone could get on board with...
They should make him share an office with whoever is the worst staff member or associate. Incentivize others to perform.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:08 pm

It doesn't look like anything is going to change for the foreseeable future.

He is not an attorney or paralegal, or support staff. It is more like he is a professional consultant in a specific field but is a full-time employee.

Minnietron

Silver

Post by Minnietron » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:21 pm

They should "cough-rate" your billable requirement: 15% less still gets you the same bonus.
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:31 am

It sounds as if the cougher has a full on cold and bronchitis today. The sounds appear too related to illness to have any viable complaints lodged against this person today. He came to my office and asked if I had a box of Kleenex because he had ran out. Unfortunately, I did not.

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:11 pm

An attorney on my floor would regularly sneeze with a big "A-CHOOOO" that was so overly-drawn out and ridiculous in addition to its being completely gross. Couldn't tell if it was a cry for help or attention. Fortunately, he's been moved 2 floors down.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”