What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
elendinel

Silver

Re: What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat?

Post by elendinel » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:44 am

Tell HR that you are allergic to the sound of coughing and request an office transfer.

encore1101

Silver

Re: What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat?

Post by encore1101 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:08 am

Unless the person is very sensitive, I don't see why you can't just approach him and say, "Hey, I'm sorry to ask, but is there any way you can cough less and/or more quietly? It disturbs me when I'm working."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:18 am

Op here:

Thank you for all of the comments and advice. Some are more realistic than others, obviously. For example, after reading the comment about GERD and doing some reading online, I think this may be the cause of it. If that is truly the case, I can't see myself being a dick about it. I am just going to need to invest in some good ear plugs.

Yes, the coughing continues today.

barcoach

New

Post by barcoach » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Those telling you to "get over it" are either coughing offenders or they just don't understand how unhealthy the negative irritating noisy environment can be. Listening to someone constantly coughing and clearing their throat all day would drive me crazy and make me ill.

It maybe that the person has a health issue and no matter what you say or do they cannot stop the offensive behavior.

If this is causing your work to suffer ask to be moved to a location away from the distraction. Or maybe the offender can be moved to a more private location away from others so he/she can hack up a storm without causing others work to suffer.

You may find that this bothers others and being the one to bring it up may help create a healthier workplace for many!

If moving you or the offender to a quiet space is not possible i would seriously consider looking for a new job. As difficult as that may sound the alternative is you and your career will suffer because you will only produce at your best when in a healthy working environment.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:50 pm

barcoach wrote:Those telling you to "get over it" are either coughing offenders or they just don't understand how unhealthy the negative irritating noisy environment can be. Listening to someone constantly coughing and clearing their throat all day would drive me crazy and make me ill.

It maybe that the person has a health issue and no matter what you say or do they cannot stop the offensive behavior.

If this is causing your work to suffer ask to be moved to a location away from the distraction. Or maybe the offender can be moved to a more private location away from others so he/she can hack up a storm without causing others work to suffer.

You may find that this bothers others and being the one to bring it up may help create a healthier workplace for many!

If moving you or the offender to a quiet space is not possible i would seriously consider looking for a new job. As difficult as that may sound the alternative is you and your career will suffer because you will only produce at your best when in a healthy working environment.
In other words, when any little thing is not going the way you like it, and you don't have the power to change that little thing, you should quit? Grow up.

It amazes me how little human interaction some folks have these days. If you can't muster up the courage to say "hey buddy, I don't mean to be rude, but could you shut your door, the coughing is sort of distracting," then you have no right to say a damn word to anyone - let alone HR, to do something even crazier, like quitting.

I'd also love to hear your next job interview... "so why did you leave? Oh, well the guy next to me was a habitual cougher and I caused a stink in the office and asked them to immediately move my desk or move the cougher. They refused so I quit! But I think i'd be an excellent member of your team!"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:02 am

The coughing is very bad this morning. A few other people in the office have been talking about this and apparently, this individual has had is desk (not in an office) relocated several times already for the same type of complaints. No one is sure anything else can be done about it.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:The coughing is very bad this morning. A few other people in the office have been talking about this and apparently, this individual has had is desk (not in an office) relocated several times already for the same type of complaints. No one is sure anything else can be done about it.
The cougher is my hero.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:30 am

I would definitely file a complaint with HR, and if that doesn't work, I would probably contact OSHA. Or easier, just buy a big bag of Halls and a gallon of water and place it on their desk. Problem solved.

TooMuchTuna

Silver

Post by TooMuchTuna » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:36 am

Can we get some audio recordings of this coughing/throat clearing?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The coughing is very bad this morning. A few other people in the office have been talking about this and apparently, this individual has had is desk (not in an office) relocated several times already for the same type of complaints. No one is sure anything else can be done about it.
I would definitely complain, then. No one is going to think you're out of line if this person has been relocated SEVERAL times... and the next relocation will benefit you. If this person can't be reprimanded bc disability or whatever, then at least someone else can take a turn next to him or her--you've taken your turn and done your penance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Water cooler rumor is that he was relocated 3 times in 2016. HR isn't really to relocate him again any time soon. He also received a promotion at the beginning of this year.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Have you considered ritualistic murder as a way to send a message to the entire office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:49 pm

The coughing today has been so bad that it appears a representative from HR has stepped in and asked him to go home for the day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The coughing today has been so bad that it appears a representative from HR has stepped in and asked him to go home for the day.
Without you saying anything? Damn. I'd definitely complain now... they're obviously aware and you should help with the record. He clearly needs some sort of help.

it'sjustme

New

Post by it'sjustme » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:24 pm

rwhyAn wrote:I would definitely file a complaint with HR, and if that doesn't work, I would probably contact OSHA. Or easier, just buy a big bag of Halls and a gallon of water and place it on their desk. Problem solved.
Careful. Some here take serious offense to suggestions like these.

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:23 pm

Am I the one guy who is almost always wearing headphones while I'm working? I usually have light piano music on to drown out the distractions going around me but since it's instrumental it's not distracting.

I would suggest that.

Lettow

New

Post by Lettow » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:53 pm

If your coworker's noise is materially disrupting your productivity and you can't easily avoid it, then I'd probably file a complaint. Disagree with the poster who said being proactive about this "disrupt a good working environment." The working environment is already disrupted by the cougher.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:40 am

The coughing is raging again today. The cougher is informing everyone that he has a cold.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:The coughing is raging again today. The cougher is informing everyone that he has a cold.
"I think I'm getting the black lung, Pop."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The coughing is raging again today. The cougher is informing everyone that he has a cold.
Some of my family members have died from lung cancer. A chronic cough is one of the first symptoms. If his cough is so bad it's disrupting everyone, I might go to HR and mention in confidence that while yes, the coughing is a bit distracting, you're more concerned that this person might have some serious health issues and both these issues (the fact that the coughing is a distraction and appears to be a potential unchecked health problem) ought to be addressed.

Alt123

New

Post by Alt123 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Well, he might also have chronic bronchitis or CPD.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sopranorleone

Bronze

Post by sopranorleone » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:58 pm

Redrum redrum redrum redrum redrum redrum

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Some of my family members have died from lung cancer. A chronic cough is one of the first symptoms. If his cough is so bad it's disrupting everyone, I might go to HR and mention in confidence that while yes, the coughing is a bit distracting, you're more concerned that this person might have some serious health issues and both these issues (the fact that the coughing is a distraction and appears to be a potential unchecked health problem) ought to be addressed.
If your employer is self insured, use this as leverage to convince management to fire this person now. Lung cancer treatment is expensive. Make sure none of the conversations are in writing.

Also, have you tried physical confrontation? Everyone loves too see a good fight.

Man from Nantucket

Bronze

Post by Man from Nantucket » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is the best course of action in this scenario? Wear ear plugs, headphones, go tell them to knock it off, or file a complaint with HR?

There is a person in the office who is constantly coughing. Not during cold season or when they are feeling ill, but constantly. It is typically very loud throat clearing followed by two or more loud coughs. They do not cover their mouth or make any attempt to keep the noise to a reasonable level. It is a full on HACK. You can hear it from the hallway, any nearby offices, or cubicles. It is an everyday occurrence and goes on for several hours.

To paint a picture, here is when it is the worse:

Imagine someone having to clear their throat, repeatedly and that sends them into a constant coughing fit. Probably coughing nearly every twenty seconds for approximately ten minutes. After you think it has stopped, it becomes suddenly louder and more violent. I have gone over and noticed that when it is at its loudest they are always doing the same thing. Sitting at a computer, one hand on their mouse the other hand in a Cheezit's box, shoveling Cheezits into their with their headphones on and no water or any liquids to drink. This person will usually eat a Cheezit's box a day. Imagine having a coughing fit and following it up by slamming Cheezits with no drink. How do you think your coughs would sound at that point, especially if you had headphones on?

Any suggestions?
Steal their cheezits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:26 pm

It was very quite around the office yesterday and today as the cougher has not been at work.

People certainly noticed his absence.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”