What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
genericwit

Bronze

Re: What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat?

Post by genericwit » Sun May 28, 2017 1:02 pm

This entire topic is hilarious to me. There's someone in my hall who clears his throat loudly. I think it's heart burn. But by week 2, I'd already blocked it out. The more you think about it, the more power you're giving it.

stannis

Silver

Re: What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat?

Post by stannis » Mon May 29, 2017 2:02 am

Thread of the year.

Is the cougher obese?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 29, 2017 5:32 am

genericwit wrote:This entire topic is hilarious to me. There's someone in my hall who clears his throat loudly. I think it's heart burn. But by week 2, I'd already blocked it out. The more you think about it, the more power you're giving it.
While I understand and appreciate your comment that the more I think about it, the more power I am giving it. This is true; however, I don't think you are understanding how difficult it is to deal with. This isn't like someone with heartburn clearing their throat. Instead, this is the loudest most obnoxious noises from the human body that defy social norms and logic.

It literally has an entire office on edge. No one has see anything quite like this before.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 29, 2017 7:55 am

stannis wrote:Thread of the year.

Is the cougher obese?
No, not obese. I would say just slightly overweight.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Mon May 29, 2017 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
genericwit wrote:This entire topic is hilarious to me. There's someone in my hall who clears his throat loudly. I think it's heart burn. But by week 2, I'd already blocked it out. The more you think about it, the more power you're giving it.
While I understand and appreciate your comment that the more I think about it, the more power I am giving it. This is true; however, I don't think you are understanding how difficult it is to deal with. This isn't like someone with heartburn clearing their throat. Instead, this is the loudest most obnoxious noises from the human body that defy social norms and logic.

It literally has an entire office on edge. No one has see anything quite like this before.
I think we need an audio or video clip to understand. Lolol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 29, 2017 9:48 pm

genericwit wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm actually worried about the repercussions if I am caught filming or caught posting that type of info.

genericwit

Bronze

Post by genericwit » Mon May 29, 2017 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
genericwit wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm actually worried about the repercussions if I am caught filming or caught posting that type of info.
I was one hundred percent joking. It's just kind of a funny thing to be so upset over. That you would consider doing that were it not for possible repercussions is even funnier.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Op here:

I sneezed today, really loud, twice. It was one of those where you have to close your eyes and it is back-to-back ACHOOOOS!

About two minutes later a woman in the office sent me an email with the subject line: Coughing and Sneezing

Was that you? Please keep it down over there. If you need more Cheezits, they are in the lounge area.

I got a good laugh out of it. Next thing I know, she forwarded it to a few others, who supposedly forwarded to others, and they forwarded to even more people.

This is ridiculous!
Humor is a very good and healthy way to cope.
Please keep your sense of humor. It will save your sanity!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2017 11:26 am

Hey OP. I think you need to strongly consider the possibility that this man has a Tic Disorder or Tourette Syndrome which causes involuntary motor and or vocal tics such as coughing, sneezing, clearing one's throat. These symptoms are exacerbated by stress such as being spoken to by HR or feeling uncomfortable in the work environment. Individuals with these tics do not want to be ticcing and it bothers them more than it bothers others. I assume you work in an environment with well educated individuals. Understanding, empathy, kindness and overlooking the symptoms go a long way. Humans habituate to many sounds in their environments...sirens by an ER, etc etc. Perhaps, your office can try to move on and ignore the sounds?
And in regard to the post about patients with persistent coughs where no medical cause can be found....hopefully these patients are being referred to someone who knows about Tic Disorders.
Just had to post this, because could not keep reading the insensitive remarks of some posters.......

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 30, 2017 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey OP. I think you need to strongly consider the possibility that this man has a Tic Disorder or Tourette Syndrome which causes involuntary motor and or vocal tics such as coughing, sneezing, clearing one's throat. These symptoms are exacerbated by stress such as being spoken to by HR or feeling uncomfortable in the work environment. Individuals with these tics do not want to be ticcing and it bothers them more than it bothers others. I assume you work in an environment with well educated individuals. Understanding, empathy, kindness and overlooking the symptoms go a long way. Humans habituate to many sounds in their environments...sirens by an ER, etc etc. Perhaps, your office can try to move on and ignore the sounds?
And in regard to the post about patients with persistent coughs where no medical cause can be found....hopefully these patients are being referred to someone who knows about Tic Disorders.
Just had to post this, because could not keep reading the insensitive remarks of some posters.......
I appreciate your comment and really appreciate you commenting. This is something I had not considered. This very well could be the case and is something I should be more mindful of. I feel like I should stop posting updates now.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey OP. I think you need to strongly consider the possibility that this man has a Tic Disorder or Tourette Syndrome which causes involuntary motor and or vocal tics such as coughing, sneezing, clearing one's throat. These symptoms are exacerbated by stress such as being spoken to by HR or feeling uncomfortable in the work environment. Individuals with these tics do not want to be ticcing and it bothers them more than it bothers others. I assume you work in an environment with well educated individuals. Understanding, empathy, kindness and overlooking the symptoms go a long way. Humans habituate to many sounds in their environments...sirens by an ER, etc etc. Perhaps, your office can try to move on and ignore the sounds?
I appreciate your comment and really appreciate you commenting. This is something I had not considered. This very well could be the case and is something I should be more mindful of. I feel like I should stop posting updates now.
Will you at leadt promise to check this thread periodically ?
I appreciate and support to desire to be protective of the cougher's reputation and feelings. However, I am invested and really do want to hear the outcome--especially since it seems, like things will work out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 31, 2017 4:58 pm

This is a plausible scenario, but it doesn't explain why the cheez-its make things much worse.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Surprisingly, nothing new here to report. Coughing has decreased dramatically.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:50 pm

It didn't really dawn on me until today, but there literally hasn't been any coughing for a few weeks. It has been silent.

How can you go from coughing Armageddon to normalcy that quickly? I don't think enough time has lapsed for him to take medical leave and get a surgery or something?

fujo

New

Post by fujo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:07 pm

FFS people, it's "Cheez-It" with a hyphen an a capital I, not cheezit or any other abomination ya'll keep posting. Show some respect to that delightful and delicious snack cracker.

stumpy

New

Post by stumpy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:18 pm

fujo wrote:FFS people, it's "Cheez-It" with a hyphen an a capital I, not cheezit or any other abomination ya'll keep posting. Show some respect to that delightful and delicious snack cracker.
Nice try, Sunshine Biscuits.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Surprisingly, nothing new here to report. Coughing has decreased dramatically.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It didn't really dawn on me until today, but there literally hasn't been any coughing for a few weeks. It has been silent.

How can you go from coughing Armageddon to normalcy that quickly? I don't think enough time has lapsed for him to take medical leave and get a surgery or something?
You have PTSD. Seriously, when the extreme annoyance/trauma stops, it takes a few days to stop "waiting for the other shoe to drop."
I hope things stay better!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:58 am

There seems to be some extremely humorous suggestions going around that the Cougher was the SA at Skadden who was fired. Just to clarify, that is not correct. The Cougher is not an SA and has not been fired.

In a more recent development, yesterday the Cougher was stricken with a really bizarre fit of sneezing. Like uncontrollable sneezing. I was told that after about 30 minutes of this, he was kindly asked to leave and work from home for the rest of the day or take the day off.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:04 am

Maybe he has the plague

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:29 pm

This thread has provided me with immense comic relief.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:24 pm

I wasn't present for the sneezing incident but it was being talked about at a happy hour event I went to tonight.

Supposedly an employee who works in a cubicle out near the cougher has all but had enough of coughing. He was wearing his headphones the morning or the sneeze attack and could still hear the sneezing. He freaked the fuck out and stormed out of the office, his boss chased him down to figure out what was wrong, they both went to HR to explain the situation and HR asked Cougher to take the remainder of the day off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:49 am

OP here.

Guys, I feel terrible. I learned just minutes ago that the cougher died of advanced emphysema. I only wish he'd told me sooner.

Maybe now I've learned I was a complete loser for not taking life's minor annoyances in stride. Why did I criticize this poor man in the end stages of his life? Why am I such an annoying pathetic beta that I can't get over tiny annoyances? There's no way to know. But today I promise, no, swear, to start turning this ship around.

I won't be posting anymore. Bye guys

[Banned.]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:05 am

Op here. The anon above claiming to be the OP is obviously doing a piss poor job.

This thread will be updated so long as there is content.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”