AMA - former Sullivan & Cromwell associate Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
eth1988

New

Re: AMA - former Sullivan & Cromwell associate

Post by eth1988 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Dear OP,

How many business cards does it take to soften the blow of thinking that you busted your ass at CLS to nab Kent so you could have the privilege of billing 2300 hours only to make the same as the Paul Hastings 1950 dudes who coasted to median at Cornell?

Sincerely,
Eager Beaver
1. Didn't bust my ass at CLS for Kent. Pretty much checked out for 2L/3L. Once you learn the law school game, you get it.

2. Rather bill 2300 at S&C than bill 1950 at Paul Hastings. Always hear from classmates who work at "life-style" firms complain about not getting enough hours.

Burlington4174

New

Post by Burlington4174 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:03 am

If you were in the NYC office, have you used the new gym? How is it?

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:59 am

eth1988 wrote:

How many business cards does it take to soften the blow of thinking that you busted your ass at CLS to nab Kent so you could have the privilege of billing 2300 hours only to make the same as the Paul Hastings 1950 dudes who coasted to median at Cornell?

Sincerely,
Eager Beaver
1. Didn't bust my ass at CLS for Kent. Pretty much checked out for 2L/3L. Once you learn the law school game, you get it.

2. Rather bill 2300 at S&C than bill 1950 at Paul Hastings. Always hear from classmates who work at "life-style" firms complain about not getting enough hours.
Yep, you definitely were a S&C associate. :wink:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:59 am

Curious as to what your insights about the law school game were...

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:57 am

eth1988 wrote:

Sincerely,
Eager Beaver

I don't know what the subset of associates who get a full bonus and then hope they could bill 350 additional hours is, but I'm confident there are enough to fill a summer class at S&C.

I think we can safely put this thread out to pasture.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:56 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
eth1988 wrote:

Sincerely,
Eager Beaver

I don't know what the subset of associates who get a full bonus and then hope they could bill 350 additional hours is, but I'm confident there are enough to fill a summer class at S&C.

Nothing like the thrill of turning in utter perfection and receiving in-your-face criticism to get the juices flowing (for an additional 350+ hours).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 pm

To that poster's defense, I am at a lifestyle firm (somewhat), and it can be more stressful having to fight to get enough work to make 1950, than being at a place where work is abundant, and you can pick and choose who you work with. It's not fun when every assignment is a competition to get more work from someone somewhat desirable to work with. When more work is available than body's associates may have more control over turning down assignments and/or who they work with.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To that poster's defense, I am at a lifestyle firm (somewhat), and it can be more stressful having to fight to get enough work to make 1950, than being at a place where work is abundant, and you can pick and choose who you work with. It's not fun when every assignment is a competition to get more work from someone somewhat desirable to work with. When more work is available than body's associates may have more control over turning down assignments and/or who they work with.
Not to mention, it isn't like there are no positives to working at a place like S&C. Exit options are a thing. Also LJL at the idea that getting good grades in law school is a function of "busting ass" in any meaningful way.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To that poster's defense, I am at a lifestyle firm (somewhat), and it can be more stressful having to fight to get enough work to make 1950, than being at a place where work is abundant, and you can pick and choose who you work with. It's not fun when every assignment is a competition to get more work from someone somewhat desirable to work with. When more work is available than body's associates may have more control over turning down assignments and/or who they work with.
I choose Option C--coast for a few years until shitcanned.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:30 pm

That's the point. Option C may be an option at SC, but isn't an option at my firm. If you coast and aren't well regarded your work dries up and you're fired well before Year 2. Just isn't enough work to go around. Wish I had known this before.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:17 pm

Sincerely,
Eager Beaver
Well, don't you feel a bit stupid for striving for CLS over, say, any generic T25? Maybe in hindsight you do, but surely that should prime you to be at least somewhat charitable towards the OP's life decisions.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:33 pm

I don't know why we are getting so triggered over this. Dude enjoyed his time at S&C. Who cares. I personally wouldn't work there but to each his own.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Would a litigator ever have the opportunity to rotate through the paris office?

How much discretion would someone have joining the firm out of clerkships (as in, not a former summer) to select their cases and stick to international investigations or competition work

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Defensible choice. But uh so is busting ass and then exiting into a somewhat less demanding job that still pays you a ton of money.

eth1988

New

Post by eth1988 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does S&C consider 3Ls without a 2L Biglaw SA, at all?
Not really sure.
Burlington4174 wrote:If you were in the NYC office, have you used the new gym? How is it?
Yes. It's decent. Definitely no Equinox but nice enough for a good workout. Not crowded.
eth1988 wrote:

Sincerely,
Eager Beaver

It might be difficult for you to understand, but some people like practicing law and are interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the law. I would work an extra 350 hours without extra pay if the work is interesting, and I find a lot of my work at S&C to be interesting.

If you want to cruise until you get shitcanned, that's your choice. There are a lot of jobs that pays well (over a career). Should not waste money on law school if you aren't interested in the law.
Anonymous User wrote:Would a litigator ever have the opportunity to rotate through the paris office?

How much discretion would someone have joining the firm out of clerkships (as in, not a former summer) to select their cases and stick to international investigations or competition work
Paris office is more corporate-focused. At S&C, you can define your practice. You can say no to assignments as long as you go out (to senior lawyers), hustle, and get enough international investigations/competition work to feel comfortable. There is definitely a lot of litigation work involving foreign companies.
Last edited by eth1988 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:18 am

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:31 am

lawman84 wrote:
eth1988 wrote:

Sincerely,
Eager Beaver

did you go into law because you aren't very good at math?
pay/hours worked = hourly wage ...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:35 am

dabigchina wrote:I don't know why we are getting so triggered over this. Dude enjoyed his time at S&C. Who cares. I personally wouldn't work there but to each his own.
if he really enjoyed it he wouldnt have left. he either wasnt very good at what he did and got asked to leave or didnt like what he was doing and left to do something else. which is why its dumb hes shilling for the firm now.

eth1988

New

Post by eth1988 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:40 am

JohannDeMann wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
eth1988 wrote:

Sincerely,
Eager Beaver

did you go into law because you aren't very good at math?
pay/hours worked = hourly wage ...
800 on SAT math brah. I'm saying I don't care about the fact that an extra hour of work nets my partner $$$ and reduces my hourly wage if I find the work interesting.
JohannDeMann wrote:
dabigchina wrote:I don't know why we are getting so triggered over this. Dude enjoyed his time at S&C. Who cares. I personally wouldn't work there but to each his own.
if he really enjoyed it he wouldnt have left. he either wasnt very good at what he did and got asked to leave or didnt like what he was doing and left to do something else. which is why its dumb hes shilling for the firm now.
I liked the work there. I left because I knew I wouldn't make partner. I was not "very good" in the sense that I couldn't be one of the 1-5 of 120 associates in each starting class who eventually makes partner. Doesn't mean I didn't have a good experience there. Let me make it simple for you to understand: I liked working at S&C + I knew I wouldn't make partner + there are interesting work else where = I leave S&C.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:05 am

you dont have to make it simple for me. i already gathered it was 1 of the 2.

how were your personal relationships while billing 2300 a year? again, no need to make it simple i already know its either (1) the good ones that existed struggled or (2) no good ones existed.
what is the coolest thing you have bought with your exorbitant salary?
what did your weekends look like? hobbies?
would having a wife and kids be sustainable?
how many of your class peers quit by the time you left?

people can like biglaw on this website. but i think they need to clarify why they liked biglaw or why their unique situation allowed biglaw to work because its the most brutal educated profession in the US and probably world. its only liked by a very select few portion of people that are workaholics. youre glorifying one of the biggest shithole/sweatshop firms in a shithole sweatshop career, so yeah your AMA is dangerous as hell.

you came into a job that beats you down to a pulp within a couple years of knowing you have no longterm future there but some how indoctrinates you into working 2300+ billables a year (which is ordering dinner at the firm 3 nights a week pace and weekend work) all for some mirage-carrot of getting a less horrible job.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:07 am

and why did you like the work?
you're going to have to flesh that out because that's terrible. juniors get shit work.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:03 am

lawlorbust wrote:

Sincerely,
Eager Beaver
Well, don't you feel a bit stupid for striving for CLS over, say, any generic T25? Maybe in hindsight you do, but surely that should prime you to be at least somewhat charitable towards the OP's life decisions.
I was a splitter who fucked around in college and wouldn't have gotten in to CLS in a more competitive year. But I did also bust my ass, although wound up wayyyy away from Kent. So he's got me there (whatever, this thread isn't about me). I wound up at a firm where I'll bill way less than 2300 (I hope--no promises if they fuck me), which even with all the choice in the world would seem like a better option than 2300 hours with zero chance at partnership, but then again I don't LOVE THE LAW like OP does. So no real comment from him about how the rest of the legal cohort is supposed to get by.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:10 am

Bragging about SAT scores. Why are there ppl like this in the world?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:02 am

cron1834 wrote:Bragging about SAT scores. Why are there ppl like this in the world?
God wanted SullCrom to have a full summer class.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:50 am

The psycho OP has a point. If you don't find the law interesting then you shouldn't have gone to law school much less work at a firm. There are too many people in biglaw who are just there to feel important or be part of the "business world" (reminder: biz people see corporate lawyers as scum)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”