Firm Benefits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Firm Benefits

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anything on Jones Day? I know they have a lot of offices, but any info is helpful
Would also like to know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sheppard Mullin LA:

Bar stipend: $8k paid out just after graduation (grant, not a loan). Firm pays for Themis or BarBri. You're on the hook for all of the fees related to the bar exam (finger printing, hotels, etc).

Relocation benefits: paid

Health benefits: the firm just moved from fully covering everything to associate contributions. That said, it's still great. If you're single it's around $250 a month for full medical, dental, and vision.

Salary advance: n/a

Gym stipend: nothing direct. You get a pittance back from the firm via the healthcare providers if you jump through some hoops that aren't worth the time.

Phone/internet/laptop: Firm provides a laptop. $70 per month for mobile/data reimbursed. $60 (I think) per month for home DSL/cable service. $400 every two years for a new phone/mobile device.

401k: n/a

Bonuses: Below market and paid as late as possible.

Meals: bill over 10 hours per day and you can expense $25. They are very strict on this.

24/7 word processing support

3-4 attorneys per secretary

Own offices (which are quite large compared to other LA firms)

No vacation policy ("just hit your hours and go on vacation whenever"). While this policy seems great on the face, it actually sucks because if you can't hit your hours for reasons that are outside of your control, it looks bad if you do vacation. You're also expected to be available on vacation. Obviously this varies group to group.

Firm has a full suite at Staples for every event and several sets of Dodgers tickets. They are for business development, but it's still relatively easy to get tickets.
Thanks for the detailed response!

RE the bolded: Do you get the full $8k or do you receive $8k minus a withholding for taxes? And if so, how much is withheld?

And regarding the bar exam, you list ancillary things (e.g. fingerprinting) that Sheppard doesn't cover, but are you saying that they don't cover the cost of the bar exam itself as well? Do they only pay for the bar prep course?
They withhold taxes.

They only pay for barbri/themis. You are on the hook for everything else related to passing the bar and getting admitted--fingerprints, bar exam fees, C/F fees, hotels, airlines, food, etc.
Can confirm. They pay for the bar course through direct-billing. The 8k less taxes is meant to cover everything else.

Does this apply to all offices?

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anything on Jones Day? I know they have a lot of offices, but any info is helpful
Would also like to know.
what do you expect from the cheapest biglaw blackbox firm there is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wait you don't get a solo external office until you're a 5th year at Weil?

wtf
What's the difference between individual internal and external offices?
External offices have windows. I think Weil had frosted glass throughout whether internal or external but obviously internal offices lack a natural light source
They've recently redone/are redoing the floors with frosted glass throughout, so all offices have natural light to some extent. Internal vs. external is just what it sounds like, external offices are on the perimeter with a window.

It's obviously not ideal not getting a solo external office until year 5, but that's the price you pay for being in literally the most expensive office space in all of Manhattan (world?).
Eh. Plenty of firms have offices in very expensive locations in Manhattan and never stick attorneys in internal offices. (And may don't make you share an office, either).
https://www.ft.com/content/8eb214e0-506 ... 144feab7de

This article seems to say that by virtue of being in the GM Building in NYC, Weil pays considerably more for office space than even their counterparts in NYC.
This is correct, the GM building is significantly more expensive than other offices (and we pay much less than other tenants of our building). Frankly I would prefer more space/single offices over being here, but the partners are very attached to this place. Genuinely curious what other NYC firms never stick attorneys in internal offices or make juniors share office space though? I know that's not the case with any of our peer firms.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wait you don't get a solo external office until you're a 5th year at Weil?

wtf
What's the difference between individual internal and external offices?
External offices have windows. I think Weil had frosted glass throughout whether internal or external but obviously internal offices lack a natural light source
They've recently redone/are redoing the floors with frosted glass throughout, so all offices have natural light to some extent. Internal vs. external is just what it sounds like, external offices are on the perimeter with a window.

It's obviously not ideal not getting a solo external office until year 5, but that's the price you pay for being in literally the most expensive office space in all of Manhattan (world?).
Eh. Plenty of firms have offices in very expensive locations in Manhattan and never stick attorneys in internal offices. (And may don't make you share an office, either).
https://www.ft.com/content/8eb214e0-506 ... 144feab7de

This article seems to say that by virtue of being in the GM Building in NYC, Weil pays considerably more for office space than even their counterparts in NYC.
This is correct, the GM building is significantly more expensive than other offices (and we pay much less than other tenants of our building). Frankly I would prefer more space/single offices over being here, but the partners are very attached to this place. Genuinely curious what other NYC firms never stick attorneys in internal offices or make juniors share office space though? I know that's not the case with any of our peer firms.
It's true of firms that are better than Weil, to be frank.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:37 am

And you nerds thought Vault meant something. Just lol.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:43 am

in hindsight, I couldn't be happier that I opted for Chicago over NYC during OCI. Forget the city differences, I'd be miserable in a shared or internal office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 am

smaug wrote: It's true of firms that are better than Weil, to be frank.
Except it's not.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Except it's not.
? Tell me about your peer firms that keep people locked in internal offices until they're 4th years and I'll give you a list of firms that never put you in an internal office.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:28 pm

smaug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Except it's not.
? Tell me about your peer firms that keep people locked in internal offices until they're 4th years and I'll give you a list of firms that never put you in an internal office.
While I'm not intimately familiar with NYC office floor plans, virtually every firm in NYC makes very junior associates share offices for one or two years. Those that don't are the exception, not the rule. I don't really see how this is controversial.

As for internal offices for 4 years, as I said, it's not great. In fact, it sucks. Not really much else to say.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:51 pm

Anything on Bracewell?

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about Bryan Cave?
It is the second largest legal employer in Missouri.

Bubbles1012

Bronze

Post by Bubbles1012 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:23 pm

EncyclopediaOrange wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know anything about Bryan Cave?
It is the second largest legal employer in Missouri.
Does anyone have any information on benefits?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:57 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:in hindsight, I couldn't be happier that I opted for Chicago over NYC during OCI. Forget the city differences, I'd be miserable in a shared or internal office.
Must be nice.

Message sent from my internal, shared office in non-NYC market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Would also like to know.
Jones Day (pretty sure this is firmwide but who knows):

Bar Stipend/Signing Bonus: 10k stipend (less taxes), paid late May/early June and bar expenses paid. If you leave before two years, you have to pay back a pro-rated amount (1/24th for every month before two years). Not sure if they actually collect this in practice.

Relocation Benefits: They contract with Armstrong Relocation for a full move. They pack your stuff in boxes, load it onto the truck, and bring the boxes to your new place. They do not unpack. The firm does not cover storage costs, but they have some kind of container program that lets you store them at a reasonable price. They will also pay for a plane ticket from where you live to your new place, or the mileage to drive there. My move was over $10k, so this was a nice benefit. Not subject to reimbursement, but if you don't stay 39 weeks, the IRS treats it as taxable income.

Health Benefits: Here are the (expensive) health insurance options:

Prices are single/single+1/family per month:

Cheapest plan is 310/655/990
HDHP is 360/757/1140
1700/3400/5100 deductible is 620/1250/1870
Zero deductible is 1020/2045/2990

Nationwide PPO coverage.

Dental (relatively decent coverage) is $29 single, $61 single +1, $86 family.
Eyemed vision - $8.59 single, $16.31 single +1, $23.95 family.

That is the cost to employee before taxes (as in you will ultimtely pay less because you use pre-tax dollars, but that is the sticker price).

Salary Advance - never asked because of the stipend.

Gym Stipend: my building has a gym, not sure how it works elsewhere.

401k: Plan through Wells Fargo, several Vanguard funds to choose from. No match.

$200 phone allowance every 2 years.

$50 per month reimbursement for data plan.

Dinner: not exactly sure but I've heard of you bill 10 hours to one client matter that day, limit is probably $25-30 depending on client. I don't stick around that late. Face time is not a big deal at my office.

Plus a few other random benefits/minor insurance things not worth mentioning.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Would also like to know.

Bar Stipend/Signing Bonus: 10k stipend (less taxes), paid late May/early June and bar expenses paid. If you leave before two years, you have to pay back a pro-rated amount (1/24th for every month before two years). Not sure if they actually collect this in practice.

Relocation Benefits: They contract with Armstrong Relocation for a full move. They pack your stuff in boxes, load it onto the truck, and bring the boxes to your new place. They do not unpack. The firm does not cover storage costs, but they have some kind of container program that lets you store them at a reasonable price. They will also pay for a plane ticket from where you live to your new place, or the mileage to drive there. My move was over $10k, so this was a nice benefit. Not subject to reimbursement, but if you don't stay 39 weeks, the IRS treats it as taxable income.

HDHP is 360/757/1140

Nationwide PPO coverage.

That is the cost to employee before taxes (as in you will ultimtely pay less because you use pre-tax dollars, but that is the sticker price).

401k: Plan through Wells Fargo, several Vanguard funds to choose from. No match.

Thanks! Besides the health insurance, that's somewhat better than I expected.

Since you didn't list them, I'm assuming there are no allowances for meals/cars/phone plan? Also, I understand juniors share offices, but is there any chance for an external office? And the office where I'll be next summer has a gym too. In practice, do people actually use it regularly? Not sure I saw an accompanying shower/locker room during my callback, so I imagine it must be weird walking around in gym clothes while everyone else is suited up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Would also like to know.

HDHP is 360/757/1140

Nationwide PPO coverage.

Thanks! Besides the health insurance, that's somewhat better than I expected.

Since you didn't list them, I'm assuming there are no allowances for meals/cars/phone plan? Also, I understand juniors share offices, but is there any chance for an external office? And the office where I'll be next summer has a gym too. In practice, do people actually use it regularly? Not sure I saw an accompanying shower/locker room during my callback, so I imagine it must be weird walking around in gym clothes while everyone else is suited up.
Oh yeah.

$200 phone allowance.

Up to $50 per month data plan reimbursement.

Dinner (not sure limit, probably $25-30 depending on client?) - I've heard you have to bill 10 hours to one client matter, but could be group specific. No idea about a car. Not in NYC, and that seems like a NYC centric thing.

Re gym, I'm in and back home because I live close enough to walk. So I don't see anyone that early anyway. There are showers here though. But it's really not weird being in gym clothes. People bike in wearing Lycra.

Juniors don't share at the office I'm at.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FedFan123

Bronze

Post by FedFan123 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:11 am

Can someone please explain why an internal office with no window is a bad thing? I actually prefer an internal office so as to avoid the issue of sun glare and skin damage from being exposed to the sun for 8 hours a day every day. Plus, news flash, the view out of that window doesn't change, so I don't see the thrill after approximately the third day.

Maybe I'm missing something, but no idea what the fuss always is on these threads about having a window or not.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:08 am

FedFan123 wrote:Can someone please explain why an internal office with no window is a bad thing? I actually prefer an internal office so as to avoid the issue of sun glare and skin damage from being exposed to the sun for 8 hours a day every day. Plus, news flash, the view out of that window doesn't change, so I don't see the thrill after approximately the third day.

Maybe I'm missing something, but no idea what the fuss always is on these threads about having a window or not.
Please put me in the basement! - fedfan after becoming major partner at Manhattan firm.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:42 am

FedFan123 wrote:Can someone please explain why an internal office with no window is a bad thing? I actually prefer an internal office so as to avoid the issue of sun glare and skin damage from being exposed to the sun for 8 hours a day every day. Plus, news flash, the view out of that window doesn't change, so I don't see the thrill after approximately the third day.

I mean, it will be great for you that you don't mind not seeing daylight for hours on end or not knowing what the weather is like or whether the sun is still up, but not everyone likes living like a mole.
- signed, a non-biglaw internal officer dweller who finds lack of daylight claustrophobic and depressing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Anyone know anything about Cravath?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:30 pm

FedFan123 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but no idea what the fuss always is on these threads about having a window or not.
The breathtakingly beautiful sunsets are reason enough.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FedFan123 wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but no idea what the fuss always is on these threads about having a window or not.
The breathtakingly beautiful sunsets are reason enough.
Sunrises, let's be honest.

franny90

New

Post by franny90 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:56 pm

Last edited by franny90 on Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:42 pm

franny90 wrote:any info on gibson dunn or mofo?
Would also like to know about mofo (sf if it matters)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”