Firm Benefits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Firm Benefits

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:49 am

axel.foley wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Whatislaw wrote:What are the benefits firms provide these days?

I've heard of profit-sharing and 401k matching, but it seems to be rare? It's usually just the health, benefit, PTO, and sick days?
Yup. Usually just insurance and PTO, though more firms are moving to “unlimited”. The insurance is fairly expensive to boot.
It depends on how narrowly/broadly you define "benefits." If defined to include any and all non-salary perks, benefits commonly include, in addition to PTO/sick days and insurance: Bar expenses, relocation, (some kind of) gym benefit, (some kind of) technology/phone allowance, dinner and car service for working late, and basic 401(k) (no match) and pre-tax health/transportation benefits. I'm not aware of a single law firm that still does 401(k) matching for associates (though some/many do 401(k) matching for secretaries and other staff, which may include non-attorney patent agents).

My old friend LaLi is unfortunately right that the insurance premiums are increasingly expensive (and the coverage increasingly worse).
WLRK, Susman, and Kellogg match 401(k) for associates. Those are the only firms I know of that still do.
MTO too, 3%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:02 pm

Any info on Baker Botts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:40 pm

$500 Fitness Reimbursement offered. What are the chances that this can be used for gym clothes if I already have a gym in my apt?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
axel.foley wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Whatislaw wrote:What are the benefits firms provide these days?

I've heard of profit-sharing and 401k matching, but it seems to be rare? It's usually just the health, benefit, PTO, and sick days?
Yup. Usually just insurance and PTO, though more firms are moving to “unlimited”. The insurance is fairly expensive to boot.
It depends on how narrowly/broadly you define "benefits." If defined to include any and all non-salary perks, benefits commonly include, in addition to PTO/sick days and insurance: Bar expenses, relocation, (some kind of) gym benefit, (some kind of) technology/phone allowance, dinner and car service for working late, and basic 401(k) (no match) and pre-tax health/transportation benefits. I'm not aware of a single law firm that still does 401(k) matching for associates (though some/many do 401(k) matching for secretaries and other staff, which may include non-attorney patent agents).

My old friend LaLi is unfortunately right that the insurance premiums are increasingly expensive (and the coverage increasingly worse).
WLRK, Susman, and Kellogg match 401(k) for associates. Those are the only firms I know of that still do.
Hueston Hennigan matches. It will also contribute 3% even if you don't contribute yourself.
Desmarais LLP does a 4% contribution. (Not a match, they give no matter what.)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:44 pm

Any info on Ropes & Gray?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any info on Ropes & Gray?
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:24 am

Ropes & Gray - pretty much market benefits.

No 401k match, kind of pricey health insurance for meh benefits (option for high deductible health insurance), domestic partners can be covered, technology budget of $300 (I think) to set up your home office, in Boston the Cafe upstairs serves free dinner after 7:30 so no dinner budget, $45/month if bring your own phone, some random gym perks but nothing crazy good.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:09 am

Anything on Cravath? I hear the relevant information is available on the onboarding portal, but you are only granted access once you accept your offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:39 am

I've heard (anecdotally) that DPW is pretty stingy with its benefits (meals, cars home, technology, office space) relative to peers like S&C or Cravath or STB. Is that still true?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Info for Latham LA?
Bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:59 pm

Any info on Weil?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any info on Weil?
Search the thread bro

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any info on Boies?
Based on the above the law article, staffed coffee bar and catered lunch + the ridiculous bonus structure. I also heard the FaceTime requirements are very lax.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Any info on Kramer Levin? Thx!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:00 pm

GDC LA? (I know this has been asked for several times throughout this thread)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Anyone have insights on Foley & Lardner?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Any info on A&P NY?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:12 pm

Any info on Baker McKenzie DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any info on Kramer Levin? Thx!
They give the standard benefits re insurance and gym membership, car and food after certain time, and a technology stipend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
They give the standard benefits re insurance and gym membership, car and food after certain time, and a technology stipend.
Any info on the phone stipend? Is it the usual $45-50 by any chance? Tyty!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Any info on the phone stipend? Is it the usual $45-50 by any chance? Tyty!
Yes, but there’s a chance it’s 35-45, not 45-50. Can’t recall off the top of my head. Don’t think 50 tho

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:20 pm

Someone has to have Kirkland Chicago! Please!!!!! Assume it’s pretty close to NY, but would really like to see data on Chicago! Thank you!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Someone has to have Kirkland Chicago! Please!!!!! Assume it’s pretty close to NY, but would really like to see data on Chicago! Thank you!!!
Can confirm the below post applies Kirkland-wide. Health/dental/vision costs may vary (although I am in the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois health program coming a non-Chicago Kirkland office, so that might be the same firmwide).

Some additions to the below - the student loan refi thing gives you a $500 bonus off the balance of your loan when you use it, paychecks come twice monthly, bonuses are paid after Christmas and before New Year's (so the last week of the calendar year), and associates can make a choice either to use a firm-provided iPhone or to load firm software onto their personal iPhone and get a stipend toward their Verizon or AT&T bill.

Also the $40 for dinner is allowed after 7:00 PM so long as you bill 9.5 that day, but both of those requirements are lightly enforced at best.
Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland NY

Bar stipend: $10K pre-tax, paid around June

Bar prep and cost, airfare and hotel (2 days) to location (if out of state): paid

Relocation: Has contract with relocation company that will take care of move, which includes airfare for you and family members to the new location, cost of packaging, insuring, and transporting the goods, and storage of up to 30 days

Health benefits: $119-297 (single medical - just participant's contribution), dental (about $20 for single) and vision (about $8 for single)

Gym: depends on the gym - you get a discounted rate or waived initiation fee but not a stipend

Meals: Up to $40 on weekdays for dinner. Weekend you get double (lunch and dinner) allowances.

Car service: after 8pm and/or before 7am (provided you met the hours requirement) for weekday. Weekend: anytime, from and to, provided you work min of 2hrs

Used to have your own offices - might change for incoming junior associates.

Phone/Laptop: Firm provided laptop and Iphone.

401k: n/a

Bonuses: market shattering supposedly

No vacation policy, but can't see anyone taking more than 6 weeks off a year

Other misc. benefits: Has a student loan refinancing program

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:22 pm

Any insight on Baker Botts?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2019 10:49 pm

Does anybody know anything about Ropes & Gray's Investment Plan for Associates and Counsel? Does it pay out often/are payouts at all significant?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”