Firm Benefits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Firm Benefits

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:55 am

Hey Everyone,

Was thinking it might be useful to create a table for benefits big firms offer associates (aside from salary)

Was thinking a table would be helpful for incoming associates, and we could tabulate the responses. Was thinking of reviewing (health insurance, moving costs, broker fees, bonuses (Fall+spring, if it exists), parental leave policies, as well as anything else you guys can think of

LIST BELOW:
  • Firm---Bar Stipend/Signing Bonus---Relocation Benefits---Health Benefits--Salary Advance---Gym Stipend--401k:

Milbank (LA)--10k (repay 1k/mo)---Moving Expenses Paid---220/month-------N/A----------N/A-----------No Match
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Platinum

Re: Firm Benefits

Post by 2014 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey Everyone,

Was thinking it might be useful to create a table for benefits big firms offer associates (aside from salary)

Was thinking a table would be helpful for incoming associates, and we could tabulate the responses. Was thinking of reviewing (health insurance, moving costs, broker fees, bonuses (Fall+spring, if it exists), parental leave policies, as well as anything else you guys can think of
ATL has some of it pulled together already FYI though some could be stale - http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-firm ... rst-years/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Add salary advance to the list + repayment terms.

Add down payment loan programs.

Add Student Loan repayment programs (didn't some firm start giving associates who have loans $20/month toward them or something really meaningful?)

Add dinner/car home/weekend work reimbursement terms (can't order until after 8pm, max breakfast budget on weekends of X)

Add technology stipend

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:08 pm

How health plans are handled is a big one that's easily missed.

How they handle 401k stuff is also interesting.

Cell stipend varies.

Gym stipend varies.

The ATL stuff is really old so having a means of compiling it makes sense

ETA: vacation stuff is also wildly different

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:13 pm

2014 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hey Everyone,

ATL has some of it pulled together already FYI though some could be stale - http://abovethelaw.com/careers/law-firm ... rst-years/
OP here, I thought it would be wise to start something like this specifically because this data is most likely quite stale due to the volatile nature of biglaw. If any junior associates could weigh in I'd be happy to get this started

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:25 pm

Saw on that old Above the Law list that some large NY firms like Debevoise, Weil and Skadden didn't offer stipends for incoming 1st years. Wondering if anyone has knowledge as to whether those firms have changed their stance on that?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How health plans are handled is a big one that's easily missed.

Cell stipend varies.

Gym stipend varies.

Yeah, the health plan thing is what I'm most bitter about. My friend at a peer firm is effectively paid more than $5000 per year than I due to the existence of cheap options at her firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How health plans are handled is a big one that's easily missed.

Cell stipend varies.

Gym stipend varies.

Yeah, the health plan thing is what I'm most bitter about. My friend at a peer firm is effectively paid more than $5000 per year than I due to the existence of cheap options at her firm.
some firms pay for everything outright

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:20 pm

OP, either start a google doc or set up a std format for people to anonymously report on their firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP, either start a google doc or set up a std format for people to anonymously report on their firms.
OP here, not sure how to set that up, but if someone can create it I'd be happy to create the categories and update it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:32 pm

This could be a really valuable thread if this got going. Have to think we could get contributions from people at most big firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:54 pm

I completely agree, perhaps if we keep replying and bumping the thread people will weigh in

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:41 pm

This stuff is way too much work to compile and explain (you want me to articulate all of the aspects of my firms health insurance policy?), and every firm is going to be way too similar, for it to be worthwhile.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:58 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:This stuff is way too much work to compile and explain (you want me to articulate all of the aspects of my firms health insurance policy?), and every firm is going to be way too similar, for it to be worthwhile.
I disagree. Not if we have a general overview of the various perks each firm has. For example, firms differ in the bonus they offer (if they offer a signing bonus at all, or just an interest free loan, or how much that is), whether they offer dental in addition to health insurance, etc. Also it can't be impossible if ATL already did it, and it wouldn't need to be as extensive as all of the firms ATL covered, it would just be a more updated list as a starting point.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:This stuff is way too much work to compile and explain (you want me to articulate all of the aspects of my firms health insurance policy?), and every firm is going to be way too similar, for it to be worthwhile.
I disagree. Not if we have a general overview of the various perks each firm has. For example, firms differ in the bonus they offer (if they offer a signing bonus at all, or just an interest free loan, or how much that is), whether they offer dental in addition to health insurance, etc. Also it can't be impossible if ATL already did it, and it wouldn't need to be as extensive as all of the firms ATL covered, it would just be a more updated list as a starting point.
OK. I'm just telling you why I'm not going to do this and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Firms aren't nearly as similar as you expect but agree that it would be hell to compile all of this

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Firms aren't nearly as similar as you expect but agree that it would be hell to compile all of this
There are certainly differences among firms, but in almost all cases, the differences aren't enough to write off a firm during recruiting or to pick Firm A over Firm B because you save a few bucks insurance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:42 pm

here's a throwback to the old days.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2007/11/22/b ... legal.html

Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, a 600-lawyer firm based in New York, offers employees a service akin to a personal issues coach and psychotherapist through a deal with Corporate Counseling Associates of Manhattan. The consulting firm has a battery of staff psychologists and social workers to provide advice on issues including stress, anxiety, depression and divorce.

Anyway-
people have asked to create something like this benefit list periodically. It's not happened.

Maybe if you want info on a specific firm, ask about that. Or even better when you get offers and are going to ick a firm based on benefits rather than culture, fit, practice group, etc.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:31 pm

Npret wrote:here's a throwback to the old days.

Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson, a 600-lawyer firm based in New York, offers employees a service akin to a personal issues coach and psychotherapist through a deal with Corporate Counseling Associates of Manhattan. The consulting firm has a battery of staff psychologists and social workers to provide advice on issues including stress, anxiety, depression and divorce.

Anyway-
people have asked to create something like this benefit list periodically. It's not happened.

Maybe if you want info on a specific firm, ask about that. Or even better when you get offers and are going to ick a firm based on benefits rather than culture, fit, practice group, etc.
Would love to hear about DPW perks and benefits if anyone has any inside scoop?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:56 am

Interested in any information about Milbank, beyond what's on the website.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Npret wrote:here's a throwback to the old days.

Anyway-

Don't think just naming random firms is going to be effective. Perhaps people could just copy and paste the below and fill in for their firm?

Firm:

Bar Stipend/Signing Bonus:

Relocation Benefits:

Health Benefits:

Salary Advance:

Gym Stipend:

401k Match (Y/N):

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:03 pm

State bar dues is one you should include. My biglaw firm, which is generally pretty good about benefits, does not pay them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interested in any information about Milbank, beyond what's on the website.
$10k salary advance. Pay it back $1k/mo when you start. Direct bill or reimburse all bar expenses (barbri, hotel, food, etc).

No 401k match

I guess I can't be that helpful, because I honestly don't know, but I got the cheapest health plan and it's about 220/mo. Opted out of dental and vision.

Will cover moving expenses (direct bill movers).

LA office gets a parking stipend if you opt out of parking.

$35/mo for cell data if you use a personal phone.

Can get firm AmEx or get on the firm Verizon plan.

Will pay for bar fees directly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interested in any information about Milbank, beyond what's on the website.
$10k salary advance. Pay it back $1k/mo when you start. Direct bill or reimburse all bar expenses (barbri, hotel, food, etc).

No 401k match

I guess I can't be that helpful, because I honestly don't know, but I got the cheapest health plan and it's about 220/mo. Opted out of dental and vision.

Will cover moving expenses (direct bill movers).

LA office gets a parking stipend if you opt out of parking.

$35/mo for cell data if you use a personal phone.

Can get firm AmEx or get on the firm Verizon plan.

Will pay for bar fees directly.
OP here, thanks for the input, updated info in original post

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Isn't all of this information on each firm's NALP page?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”