Firm Benefits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Firm Benefits

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Bumping a helpful thread with a question that fits as much here as anywhere else:

How does health insurance work during the summer after 3L if going into biglaw? I'm worried about a gap between the end of school coverage and the start of firm coverage.

Are there any firms that provide coverage in this gap?

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:48 pm

I had about a one month gap between school insurance and the job's. I just rode it out, but there are places to get short term policies.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Anyone have Kirkland London?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:59 am

What about Latham DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:23 pm

clifford chance ny?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:18 am

Any good perks at your firm that might help someone decide?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:28 pm

Reviving an old (but gold) thread...but does anyone have any info for midsized firm Atkinson Andelson?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Close but not exactly right - seems like this person worked at STB before a few changes kicked in.

The tech stipend is now $2,000 and renews every 3 years. You get a docking station and firm laptop but can use the stipend to buy a laptop to work on from home.

Health Plan is now high deductible. Firm contributes $1,000, $250 a quarter.
Food - $35 limit after 8:00 pm and can order from any food service
Car home - after 8:30 (can take corporate uber, taxi, etc.)
Offices - second years move to internal offices w/o windows but the glass means you can see outside. Some second years spend up to 24 months internal before moving to an external solo.
Anonymous User wrote:STB

Salary advance: 9000, repaid over 24 pay periods
Bar expenses: fully covered
Relocation: fully covered
Vacation: 20 days. Can get coverage for vacations longer than 5 business days in corp; no (formal) coverage for litigation.
Gym: pays 2/3 of fees
Phone: Blackberry (data only) or $50 monthly data stipend
Tech stipend: $500 renewed every 3 years, laptop to work from home
Health insurance: shitty (I chose the middling plan which is ~$200 biweekly pay period for health/dental/vision)
401k: Fidelity, no match
Seamless: if you work after 8pm, $25 limit, loosely (not?) enforced
Black car: after 8:30
Cafeteria: pretty nice, $5 salads, large staff, lots of options made to order
Offices: newly renovated. First years share an office. Second years spend a few months in an internal office, then get solo offices. Can choose your office location. Little to no facetime since practice groups are mixed randomly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:clifford chance ny?
if u bill 250 hours or more in a month you can bill the firm up to $400 on whatever "experience" you want (dinner, show, etc.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:22 am

Any current information on Jones Day? Do they provide phones or a tech stipend?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:19 pm

Any info on Latham NY/DC?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
if u bill 250 hours or more in a month you can bill the firm up to $400 on whatever "experience" you want (dinner, show, etc.)
Lol, and that's when I'd just buy a Visa giftcard.

Sprinkler

New

Post by Sprinkler » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Neither firm I have worked for provided a matching 401k. To me, that would be a great benefit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Whatislaw

Bronze

Post by Whatislaw » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:19 am

What are the benefits firms provide these days?

I've heard of profit-sharing and 401k matching, but it seems to be rare? It's usually just the health, benefit, PTO, and sick days?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:39 am

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Any info on K&L Gates NY/DC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:54 am

Info for Latham LA?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:43 am

Any info on White & Case NY?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:48 pm

Whatislaw wrote:What are the benefits firms provide these days?

I've heard of profit-sharing and 401k matching, but it seems to be rare? It's usually just the health, benefit, PTO, and sick days?
Yup. Usually just insurance and PTO, though more firms are moving to “unlimited”. The insurance is fairly expensive to boot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:35 pm

Any info on Boies?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:13 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

Yup. Usually just insurance and PTO, though more firms are moving to “unlimited”. The insurance is fairly expensive to boot.
It depends on how narrowly/broadly you define "benefits." If defined to include any and all non-salary perks, benefits commonly include, in addition to PTO/sick days and insurance: Bar expenses, relocation, (some kind of) gym benefit, (some kind of) technology/phone allowance, dinner and car service for working late, and basic 401(k) (no match) and pre-tax health/transportation benefits. I'm not aware of a single law firm that still does 401(k) matching for associates (though some/many do 401(k) matching for secretaries and other staff, which may include non-attorney patent agents).

My old friend LaLi is unfortunately right that the insurance premiums are increasingly expensive (and the coverage increasingly worse).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:42 pm

My firm has a corporate deal with Equinox is NYC. I went down to checkout how much and the deal ended up being $5 off ($240 to $235 a month). This can't be right? I'll have to ask around.

axel.foley

Bronze

Post by axel.foley » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:42 pm

QContinuum wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

It depends on how narrowly/broadly you define "benefits." If defined to include any and all non-salary perks, benefits commonly include, in addition to PTO/sick days and insurance: Bar expenses, relocation, (some kind of) gym benefit, (some kind of) technology/phone allowance, dinner and car service for working late, and basic 401(k) (no match) and pre-tax health/transportation benefits. I'm not aware of a single law firm that still does 401(k) matching for associates (though some/many do 401(k) matching for secretaries and other staff, which may include non-attorney patent agents).

My old friend LaLi is unfortunately right that the insurance premiums are increasingly expensive (and the coverage increasingly worse).
WLRK, Susman, and Kellogg match 401(k) for associates. Those are the only firms I know of that still do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 pm

axel.foley wrote:
QContinuum wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

WLRK, Susman, and Kellogg match 401(k) for associates. Those are the only firms I know of that still do.
Hueston Hennigan matches. It will also contribute 3% even if you don't contribute yourself.

Chortitza

New

Post by Chortitza » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Anyone have info on Hogan Lovells benefits?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”