Port Authority of NY Law Dept Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nynaeve

New

Port Authority of NY Law Dept

Post by Nynaeve » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Please redirect me if there's a relevant thread on this (I looked and came up empty handed), but does anyone have any insight into working at the Law Department of the Port Authority of NY/NJ?

Per my law school's simplicity page, they're hiring, but I can't seem to track down anything online beyond cursory remarks on Glassdoor/Indeed. Specifically interested in work environment and QoL. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Port Authority of NY Law Dept

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:28 pm

Nynaeve wrote:Please redirect me if there's a relevant thread on this (I looked and came up empty handed), but does anyone have any insight into working at the Law Department of the Port Authority of NY/NJ?

Per my law school's simplicity page, they're hiring, but I can't seem to track down anything online beyond cursory remarks on Glassdoor/Indeed. Specifically interested in work environment and QoL. Thanks.
Are you referring to their internship program for the summer or as an attorney? I interned with them my first year and I have some insight, but mostly into the internship program.

Nynaeve

New

Post by Nynaeve » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Nynaeve wrote:Please redirect me if there's a relevant thread on this (I looked and came up empty handed), but does anyone have any insight into working at the Law Department of the Port Authority of NY/NJ?

Are you referring to their internship program for the summer or as an attorney? I interned with them my first year and I have some insight, but mostly into the internship program.
As an attorney. Cool, did you enjoy it? Anything you can share re: what you observed as to the attorneys?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:39 am

Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

As an attorney. Cool, did you enjoy it? Anything you can share re: what you observed as to the attorneys?
In short: I enjoyed it very much, it was a great place to spend my first summer. I was with the Litigation group, I do not know how the transactional group is.

I saw that the attorneys did enjoy working there, but none of them seemed to love it. They definitely enjoyed the work more than big law or other places. It is mostly a 9-5 job, no weekends, few late nights unless there is a trial coming up.

For litigation specifically, the majority of the work was either personal injury or labor and employment. A great deal of slip and fall cases in the Terminal or Airports and a number of discrimination cases. As a young attorney, you handle everything from motions to witness interviews, to potentially arguing in front of a jury. Though not many cases go to trial. If you want to be a litigator, it is a great place to spend a few years.

Exit options: I saw people leaving for big firms, but fairly rarely. Mostly, I saw them transfer to other city or state agencies. At least one person went to be an ADA.

Its a lot of litigation, so the skills are very transferable. And their litigation group is large, lots of extremely smart attorneys working to benefit New Yorkers.

I think if you get it, it would be a great place to work.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Nynaeve

New

Post by Nynaeve » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

In short: I enjoyed it very much, it was a great place to spend my first summer. I was with the Litigation group, I do not know how the transactional group is.

I saw that the attorneys did enjoy working there, but none of them seemed to love it. They definitely enjoyed the work more than big law or other places. It is mostly a 9-5 job, no weekends, few late nights unless there is a trial coming up.

For litigation specifically, the majority of the work was either personal injury or labor and employment. A great deal of slip and fall cases in the Terminal or Airports and a number of discrimination cases. As a young attorney, you handle everything from motions to witness interviews, to potentially arguing in front of a jury. Though not many cases go to trial. If you want to be a litigator, it is a great place to spend a few years.

Exit options: I saw people leaving for big firms, but fairly rarely. Mostly, I saw them transfer to other city or state agencies. At least one person went to be an ADA.

Its a lot of litigation, so the skills are very transferable. And their litigation group is large, lots of extremely smart attorneys working to benefit New Yorkers.

Thanks. This is very helpful. I'm very interested, but am having trouble learning about the Law Department online. Martindale Hubbel suggests the divisions are as follows: http://www.martindale.com/The-Port-Auth ... people.htm . Is that incorrect? Is it just "Litigation vs. Transactional"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. This is very helpful. I'm very interested, but am having trouble learning about the Law Department online. Martindale Hubbel suggests the divisions are as follows: http://www.martindale.com/The-Port-Auth ... people.htm . Is that incorrect? Is it just "Litigation vs. Transactional"?
That list does not look correct. I can tell you that it does not have all of the PA attorneys on there. While I was there I never noticed a strict split of attorneys working on different matters. The older attorneys had more experience in some matters so were more likely to handle them while younger attorneys were assigned to work on those matters with the more experienced attorneys. In your first year, you will handle every type of case.

It was just litigation vs. transactional. Interns could work on both matters, but otherwise litigation and transactional stayed separate.

Nynaeve

New

Post by Nynaeve » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

That list does not look correct. I can tell you that it does not have all of the PA attorneys on there. While I was there I never noticed a strict split of attorneys working on different matters. The older attorneys had more experience in some matters so were more likely to handle them while younger attorneys were assigned to work on those matters with the more experienced attorneys. In your first year, you will handle every type of case.

It was just litigation vs. transactional. Interns could work on both matters, but otherwise litigation and transactional stayed separate.
Thanks, really helpful. Hoping to hear back--just applied.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you have any idea what their starting salary is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:48 pm

The PA's salaries are posted online.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:The PA's salaries are posted online.
yes, I have checked them out but they all differ (I am assuming by experience). I was asking if anyone knew the salary for fresh out of law school attorneys. I am considering submitting an application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:43 am

Sort by hire date then do some LinkedIn creeping.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 pm

Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Nynaeve wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks, really helpful. Hoping to hear back--just applied.
I applied to this as well. I have mixed feelings -- seems like great hours and cool work, but low pay. Have you heard back yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:30 pm

I applied to this as well. I have mixed feelings -- seems like great hours and cool work, but low pay. Have you heard back yet?
Yep, had an interview last week. When did you apply? They don't move fast.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The PA's salaries are posted online.
yes, I have checked them out but they all differ (I am assuming by experience). I was asking if anyone knew the salary for fresh out of law school attorneys. I am considering submitting an application.
Im the OP from above - the one who posted the experience as an intern.

I do not remember for sure what the starting salary was, I think it was low 60k or high 50k. When I interned there, however, attorneys did not receive a salary bump for a very long time but were beginning to see salary bumps the year after.

Its not the best, but its okay.

As for hiring, some of their HR staff retired so they might be a little slow in getting back to people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Starting salary seems to be $82-85k from what I can gather from the salary information online, i.e. entry level attorneys hired in 2015 and 2016.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yep, had an interview last week. When did you apply? They don't move fast.

I am looking to submit an application. Where did you find their posting? Do you know how many rounds of interviews they have?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:08 pm

I have done two rounds of interviews - different poster from those who have already discussed interviewing.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have done two rounds of interviews - different poster from those who have already discussed interviewing.
How was your second round interview? I am wondering how long until they get back to us with a decision.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have done two rounds of interviews - different poster from those who have already discussed interviewing.
How was your second round interview? I am wondering how long until they get back to us with a decision.
Different poster. Second round was longer, but very similar to first round.

Anyone know how QoL is there now?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:50 pm

From my interviews it seems like most people work 9-6 or so and no weeeknds. I think the bond folks work more during a closing or other times but still not terribly bad compared to biglaw.

It sounds like a pretty great gig if it's 40-50 hours a week, interesting work and fairly good pay. Again, I am assuming starting pay of ~$82k from the posted salary information.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:From my interviews it seems like most people work 9-6 or so and no weeeknds. I think the bond folks work more during a closing or other times but still not terribly bad compared to biglaw.

It sounds like a pretty great gig if it's 40-50 hours a week, interesting work and fairly good pay. Again, I am assuming starting pay of ~$82k from the posted salary information.
What do you mean by "bond folks"? Is that what the corporate attorneys there specialize in? Having trouble figuring out more about their corporate practice online. Thanks.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:From my interviews it seems like most people work 9-6 or so and no weeeknds. I think the bond folks work more during a closing or other times but still not terribly bad compared to biglaw.

What do you mean by "bond folks"? Is that what the corporate attorneys there specialize in? Having trouble figuring out more about their corporate practice online. Thanks.
Seems like it's broken up between contracting, leasing and bond work - with more senior people specializing into specific roles.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:21 pm

Anyone know how many entry level attorneys theyre hiring?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Has anyone received an offer? I went on a second round interview and its been a week and no notice yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Different poster. Second round was longer, but very similar to first round.

Anyone know how QoL is there now?

Have you received an offer yet? I am still waiting to hear back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”