1L job search C/O 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Similar situation:

Got a letter indicating "expression of interest" from a local gov agency and am in the process of submitting administrative materials(i am not sure if this should be considered an offer). Have a callback for a law firm next Mon. The gov agency asked me to get fingerprinted and complete the paperworks next Wed and I am not sure if the law firm would be able to get back to me then.

Is the "expression of interest" considered an offer? (they did say that if I reciprocate their interest then I should proceed to the later steps); And should I just tell the law firm that I would need them to get back to me by next Wed?
I think it's premature. Processing the paperwork would probably take a bit anyway, so I don't think everything would be assumed to be set in stone by Wednesday. But not very familiar with local gov agencies so someone else should chime in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:More advice solicitation: I have an offer which expires at the end of next week, but I'm waiting to hear from a callback I had early last week. At what point can I contact the firm I'm waiting on to let them know about my expiring offer? Contacting them barely a week after my interview seems distasteful.
I'm in a similar position but with an even faster timeline. I have an offer which expires tomorrow at 5PM, but I'm waiting to hear from a callback I had last Friday. The CB Firm told me they would let me know by mid-week (so I was hopeful that would have been yesterday). Echoing the previous poster, is it distasteful to let them know I have an offer waiting?
I contacted a firm 4 business days after CB letting them know of a competing offer, and they extended me an offer the next day. Not distasteful.
Thanks. When you did this, did you hear back from the recruiter or was the next contact from them the offer?
I didn't hear from the office until I got the offer!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:36 am

Pirkey Barber - Austin callback this week. I didn't even think they were taking 1Ls, I just applied on a lark about three weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:More advice solicitation: I have an offer which expires at the end of next week, but I'm waiting to hear from a callback I had early last week. At what point can I contact the firm I'm waiting on to let them know about my expiring offer? Contacting them barely a week after my interview seems distasteful.
I'm in a similar position but with an even faster timeline. I have an offer which expires tomorrow at 5PM, but I'm waiting to hear from a callback I had last Friday. The CB Firm told me they would let me know by mid-week (so I was hopeful that would have been yesterday). Echoing the previous poster, is it distasteful to let them know I have an offer waiting?
I contacted a firm 4 business days after CB letting them know of a competing offer, and they extended me an offer the next day. Not distasteful.
Thanks. When you did this, did you hear back from the recruiter or was the next contact from them the offer?
I didn't hear from the office until I got the offer!
Ugh, I tried this but didn't work. They've already extended an offer so they have to wait on that person before they can get back to me

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:42 pm

So bummed that I struck out for firms. I know 2L OCI will be much better than this, but man...it sucks. For those that have given up on firm jobs, what other positions are you looking into? Seems like in-house is doing hiring around this time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:34 pm

^^^ have you heard from all the firms yet? Did you apply to a lot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Any updates on Drinker Biddle Los Angeles?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^^ have you heard from all the firms yet? Did you apply to a lot?
I applied to like 50 firms and multiple offices for some of them. I haven't heard back from everyone, but from roughly 60%. I had four screeners and heard back from only one, but I know the other positions were filled. I had one CB and know someone else got offered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:42 pm

I feel your pain above, this process is rough.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 am

Landed two Interviews for the next 5 days one in house and one unpaid.

Does anybody have any advice on contacting a former summer associate? I have literally never seen this dude at school but I saw on the intranet that he worked at the in house position over his 1L summer.

Hoping that something prospers over these next two

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:25 am

Morgan Lewis NYC, Skadden Chi, Weil and Hogan LA have given out offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:47 am

Do you know who got the Hogan and Weil LA offer? Like school? URM?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:Do you know who got the Hogan and Weil LA offer? Like school? URM?
It was Weil NY. Both were lower t13 URM.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you know who got the Hogan and Weil LA offer? Like school? URM?
Thanks! What kind of URM?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Why does that really matter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Just wondering. Plus its helpful to know what kind of people get these positions including school, grades and ethnicity. People discuss this in admissions as well.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Just wondering. Plus its helpful to know what kind of people get these positions including school, grades and ethnicity. People discuss this in admissions as well.
"URM" is different for hiring than for law school admissions...hth

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ah ok. Just wondering because there seems to be a lot of emphasis on this. As a URM I feel like it really doesn't help anyone to know. Even if someone with your same stats and ethnicity got it, it doesn't mean that will be your case. These jobs are half grades, a quarter personality and a quarter luck imo

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:21 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
"URM" is different for hiring than for law school admissions...hth
This is why I think its important to know, because the term is more inclusive.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ah ok. Just wondering because there seems to be a lot of emphasis on this. As a URM I feel like it really doesn't help anyone to know. Even if someone with your same stats and ethnicity got it, it doesn't mean that will be your case. These jobs are half grades, a quarter personality and a quarter luck imo
Yeah, that's so true, just a question though. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:38 pm

Anybody hear back from Katten, Shearman or Wilkie?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:49 pm

What about Seyfarth CH? Has anyone heard?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear back from Katten, Shearman or Wilkie?
I think Katten is done hiring for the summer. Classmate was offered a position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:37 pm

I know just by getting these interviews I'm doing better than many and thus have no right to complain but damn this is getting tiring.

Just got dinged from a paid fellowship at a non-profit, after getting dinged after our school's Moot Court team tryout (despite making it to the semifinals in our intramural competition), getting dinged from all big-law firms I applied to, and even an unpaid internship.

Luckily I'm with a non-profit for half my summer, so I have something to hang my hat on. And I just had a callback with Pirkey Barber and hopefully that won't end in another ding.

Sorry, had to vent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:15 pm

^^ Sending out ~10 apps/day (not firms) (since beginning of February at least). Only heard back from maybe 3 since January. Only a single interview thus far, and not one of the positions that I most prefer (neither position nor market). Probably top 1/3-1/4 at T14. Is a super duper experience.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”