1L job search C/O 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Friend Received an Offer at Skadden today

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Do firms generally call or email with offers? Same for dings after callbacks? I know this doesn't matter, but I'm just trying to psychologically prepare myself.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms generally call or email with offers? Same for dings after callbacks? I know this doesn't matter, but I'm just trying to psychologically prepare myself.
I got a call. SA in secondary market.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do firms generally call or email with offers? Same for dings after callbacks? I know this doesn't matter, but I'm just trying to psychologically prepare myself.
Offers and callbacks are going to come by phone. Dings are going to come by email or snail mail.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:26 pm

I got a ding this week through a phone call it was great!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:27 pm

MrT wrote:
Offers and callbacks are going to come by phone. Dings are going to come by email or snail mail.
Yep, so every time that phone buzzes with an email, just feel your heart drop. I hate junk mail more than ever. p.s. word is DLA people who haven't heard back are on hold.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got a ding this week through a phone call it was great!
That is evil

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
Yep, so every time that phone buzzes with an email, just feel your heart drop. I hate junk mail more than ever. p.s. word is DLA people who haven't heard back are on hold.
Do you know of any offers that were extended?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
Hmm, thanks for the update. Source?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
For all offices? Asking about DC specifically.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
For all offices? Asking about DC specifically.
Just wait until OCI. You guys will love it. Your mom is going to call you and you're going to get pissed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How fast does Jones Day move from screener to requesting callback?
I thought Jones Day was done hiring. I know several people who got offers already and accepted them
Has anyone heard from Jones Day LA or MN?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Goodwin Procter or Foley Lardner?
I have a cb (no screener but it's just cab fare...) with foley dc - got the invite two weeks ago.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
Hmm, thanks for the update. Source?
Yes, also curious about this. Do you know people who got offers or did recruitment drop hints?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:41 am

So I know there's some debate about telling other firms that they're your only callback during 2L OCI, but what about for 1L SAs? Firms know how scant these positions are, so it doesn't quite seem a death sentence, but obviously don't want to look bad on the other hand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:21 pm

Probably a long shot, but has anyone had any movement from Belin McCormick in Des Moines? Any callbacks to speak of?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:30 pm

Weil ding in the mail today

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I know there's some debate about telling other firms that they're your only callback during 2L OCI, but what about for 1L SAs? Firms know how scant these positions are, so it doesn't quite seem a death sentence, but obviously don't want to look bad on the other hand.
This might not be super helpful because I had one super early over winter break and then ~5 CBs later in January, but I was upfront about saying to the first I only had one callback. Lots of people I knew had 2-3 over break so it felt like a big deal I only got 1. Ended up getting an offer from the first.

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I know there's some debate about telling other firms that they're your only callback during 2L OCI, but what about for 1L SAs? Firms know how scant these positions are, so it doesn't quite seem a death sentence, but obviously don't want to look bad on the other hand.
This might not be super helpful because I had one super early over winter break and then ~5 CBs later in January, but I was upfront about saying to the first I only had one callback. Lots of people I knew had 2-3 over break so it felt like a big deal I only got 1. Ended up getting an offer from the first.
I don't know how it would help you at all. If anything, I could see it being harmful because it makes you appear undesired by other firms. It essentially makes you the ugly dog no one wants at the shelter. Sure, they may feel bad for you and take a flier but it's unlikely.

If you haven't had the call back yet, just do your best to prepare and crush the interview. Confidence and personality will carry you further than any sympathy.

ETA: a firm is going to take the best candidate and/or fit. They aren't going to be concerned whether or not you land a 1L SA.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm

Miles & Stockbridge ding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:19 pm

MrT wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I don't know how it would help you at all. If anything, I could see it being harmful because it makes you appear undesired by other firms. It essentially makes you the ugly dog no one wants at the shelter. Sure, they may feel bad for you and take a flier but it's unlikely.

If you haven't had the call back yet, just do your best to prepare and crush the interview. Confidence and personality will carry you further than any sympathy.

ETA: a firm is going to take the best candidate and/or fit. They aren't going to be concerned whether or not you land a 1L SA.
But they know how difficult 1L SA positions are to acquire. So does it really make you look like the ugly dog? For 2L OCI, I totally get it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MrT wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

But they know how difficult 1L SA positions are to acquire. So does it really make you look like the ugly dog? For 2L OCI, I totally get it.
Yes, that's exactly the point... How hard is it for the ugly shelter dog to get adopted? Why would the firm see it as a positive that you are not qualified enough for other firms to have interest? The positions are hard to get because they only select the most qualified candidates or the candidates that check boxes for them. I assure you that there is not a box: "applicant can't get another 1L SA."

Accidentally anon -- same poster as above.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from SEC, DOJ Antitrust, or Federal Reserve Bank of NY?
SEC has been setting up interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Paul Hastings Chicago has made its hires.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Akin Gump DC ding

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”