1L job search C/O 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:So bummed that I struck out for firms. I know 2L OCI will be much better than this, but man...it sucks. For those that have given up on firm jobs, what other positions are you looking into? Seems like in-house is doing hiring around this time.

I had a few screeners with firms, but no callbacks. Ended up with a gov job. (Also a couple of legal aid offers) Unpaid, but It counts as externship credit. I'm still getting interview requests from some of the later applications I sent in, so I hope I didn't mess up by accepting the first offer I got. I was starting to panic, but within the week, I had three solid offers and interview requests from a judge, USAO, and a couple of other places. Don't accept the first offer straightaway. Take a few days to decide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Question: I was asked during a screener a day ago if I had any offers. I told the interviewer that I had gone on some call backs but I still hadn't gotten an answer/everything was still up in the air. I got dinged from the places i had the call backs today. I really don't want to let the interviewer know i got dinged, but I keep thinking about it. Should I just not say anything?

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question: I was asked during a screener a day ago if I had any offers. I told the interviewer that I had gone on some call backs but I still hadn't gotten an answer/everything was still up in the air. I got dinged from the places i had the call backs today. I really don't want to let the interviewer know i got dinged, but I keep thinking about it. Should I just not say anything?
...why would you say anything?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question: I was asked during a screener a day ago if I had any offers. I told the interviewer that I had gone on some call backs but I still hadn't gotten an answer/everything was still up in the air. I got dinged from the places i had the call backs today. I really don't want to let the interviewer know i got dinged, but I keep thinking about it. Should I just not say anything?
Letting them know you got dinged certainly won't get you the job out of sympathy. Why would they hire you if no one else wanted to? I can't say it will ding you either, but just don't. The only thing you need to let them know is when you have a competing offer and need an answer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 pm

Echoing everyone else- please don't do this, there's absolutely no need

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:05 pm

Any news from Foley & Larder LA, or Paul Hastings LA?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Foley & Larder LA, or Paul Hastings LA?
foley LA ding a while back, and people have accepted offers at paul hastings LA a while back (not sure if LA or OC though)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Hi everyone, I'm lucky and thankful to have three offers. Can people help me narrow down? Got offers from a midsize law firm in a secondary market, legal internship at one of the big banks, and a judicial internship. Last two are in the same major market that I would bid for OCI. T14, paralegal law firm experience (albeit not big law), non-IP, non-URM. Probably letting go of judicial internship but having a hard time choosing between the first two. Any ideas?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone, I'm lucky and thankful to have three offers. Can people help me narrow down? Got offers from a midsize law firm in a secondary market, legal internship at one of the big banks, and a judicial internship. Last two are in the same major market that I would bid for OCI. T14, paralegal law firm experience (albeit not big law), non-IP, non-URM. Probably letting go of judicial internship but having a hard time choosing between the first two. Any ideas?
What pays the most? Pick that one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:03 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone, I'm lucky and thankful to have three offers. Can people help me narrow down? Got offers from a midsize law firm in a secondary market, legal internship at one of the big banks, and a judicial internship. Last two are in the same major market that I would bid for OCI. T14, paralegal law firm experience (albeit not big law), non-IP, non-URM. Probably letting go of judicial internship but having a hard time choosing between the first two. Any ideas?
Thanks- the mid-law firm does although not by a lot. Bank pays around 1600 per week, law firm around 2000 per week. Both are 10 weeks and splitting is not an option. I don't know if I'm interested more in lit or corp but I wanted to network a lot in the summer at that major market. Wondering if it's worth an extra 400$ to give up networking and be in a state where I have no one (when i said secondary, its not Philly/FL/Colorado etc, it's more removed than that)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Thanks- the mid-law firm does although not by a lot. Bank pays around 1600 per week, law firm around 2000 per week. Both are 10 weeks and splitting is not an option. I don't know if I'm interested more in lit or corp but I wanted to network a lot in the summer at that major market. Wondering if it's worth an extra 400$ to give up networking and be in a state where I have no one (when i said secondary, its not Philly/FL/Colorado etc, it's more removed than that)
It doesn't sound like you want to practice in the city of mid-size firm. In that case, definitely take the offer at the bank in the city you want to be in. My initial advice was too broad, and I sorta assumed the midsize was in your home market.

If pay the same (or largely the same, as in this case), take the option in the market you want to be in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:35 pm

PH offer. Hope springs eternal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:PH offer. Hope springs eternal.
Congrats, which office?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:PH offer. Hope springs eternal.
Congrats, which office?
Also curious

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:32 pm

^^ If its the diversity scholarship program isn't only one 1L that is selected for all offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^^ If its the diversity scholarship program isn't only one 1L that is selected for all offices?
No, there were 2 selected last yr, could be even more this time around

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”