Summer Classes 2017 Edition Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Platinum

Re: Summer Classes 2017 Edition

Post by 2014 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bill_swerski wrote:UChicago destroys NY. Some years it might be harder if more of the class targets NY (which tends to be the case when students become risk adverse to the non-NY markets), but generally it seems that most students at UChicago do not want NY for whatever reason, and so median+ at Chicago puts you in play for pretty much any NY firm aside from Wachtell.

Kind of surprised about K&E Chicago results though (only 6 UChicago students)
You say this, but this year a few people I personally know at UChicago who bid exclusively NY with median or better grade struck out of OCI. So I don't know what happened there--whether this is just this year or if the rhetoric is not all that accurate.
Sorry to hear this, my information probably goes stale by the year. As a more or less proud alum would like to think that we would continue to shine on the employment front, especially in NY, but this is why i stay out of admissions threads now so i'm not talking out of my ass.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Jenner & Block DC

Yale - 7
Harvard - 2
Stanford - 1
Is that firm impact lit? What do they have to offer to pull that kinda weight around.
Not impact lit. They had 6 cases at the Supreme Court last year.
The DC office is very liberal and has a great reputation at YLS for students who ultimately want to end up in academia or public service
This reads like one of the most exclusive classes I've ever seen in Biglaw. Is there anywhere else comparable on school selectivity (and grade selectively I'm assuming as well).

Edit: Also conclusive proof references to "HYS" should now instead be "YHS"

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

Yale - 7
Harvard - 2
Stanford - 1
Is that firm impact lit? What do they have to offer to pull that kinda weight around.
Jenner DC is uber prestigious appellate work. Its what Munger's new DC office was built from (Verrilli was at Jenner prior to SG, same as the other founders). Jenner NY and Chicago are great too, but the DC office traditionally has an all star cast.
This is only partially true. Jenner DC does a whole bunch of the usual DC regulatory work; they're particularly big with regards to TMT/IP. A minority of these 10 SAs are going to end up in the appellate group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:00 pm

So S&C has no one from Northwestern at all?
Anonymous User wrote:S&C all offices - 127 SAs (including at least some 1Ls)

Harvard - 19
Yale - 13
Columbia - 10
NYU - 10
UTexas - 6
UVA - 5
Chicago - 4
Cornell - 4
Toronto - 4
USC - 4
William & Mary - 4
Duke - 3
Fordham - 3
Michigan - 3
UCLA - 3
BC - 2
BU - 2
BYU - 2
Emory - 2
GW - 2
GULC - 2
Minnesota - 2
Penn - 2
Berkeley - 1
Georgia - 1
Illinois - 1
Osgoode - 1
Pepperdine - 1
Ohio State - 1
Tulane - 1
UC Hastings - 1
Vanderbilt - 1
Villanova - 1
WUSTL - 1

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:48 pm

favabeansoup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

Yale - 7
Harvard - 2
Stanford - 1
The DC office is very liberal and has a great reputation at YLS for students who ultimately want to end up in academia or public service
This reads like one of the most exclusive classes I've ever seen in Biglaw. Is there anywhere else comparable on school selectivity (and grade selectively I'm assuming as well).

I would not draw such a strong correlation between the entering summer class and the selectivity of the firm or office. Jenner DC gave out offers to students that did not attend these three schools. They just did not accept. But the answer to your question is yes, other small DC offices that handle high end litigation like Kirkland, Mayer Brown, ect., would be examples. Williams & Connolly and Kellogg Huber are more selective. Generally, though, it is way more difficult to get a job at somewhere like Jenner DC than a new york V5, wachtell excluded.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:14 pm

Anyone got numbers for Schulte?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:46 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
favabeansoup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:

Yale - 7
Harvard - 2
Stanford - 1

I would not draw such a strong correlation between the entering summer class and the selectivity of the firm or office. Jenner DC gave out offers to students that did not attend these three schools. They just did not accept. But the answer to your question is yes, other small DC offices that handle high end litigation like Kirkland, Mayer Brown, ect., would be examples. Williams & Connolly and Kellogg Huber are more selective. Generally, though, it is way more difficult to get a job at somewhere like Jenner DC than a new york V5, wachtell excluded.
Jenner DC of course participates in many fewer OCIs than those firms though (Kellogg Huber excepted, since they don't do any), which is somewhat of a signal as to selectivity. Even W&C made four Columbia offers via EIP this year.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:01 am

bill_swerski wrote:
Lots of self selection this year. With the 2018 UofC class, Kirkland Chicago developed a reputation of being a bad place to work; a number of people with offers went elsewhere. Granted, K&E extended offers mostly to pretty high grades this year for whatever reason, so we had more than a few people pass on Kirkland for other lit/m&a powerhouses in other markets (Boies, W&C, Susman, Wachtell, Cravath).

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Jenner DC of course participates in many fewer OCIs than those firms though (Kellogg Huber excepted, since they don't do any), which is somewhat of a signal as to selectivity. Even W&C made four Columbia offers via EIP this year.
W&C had multiple GULC offers this year so frankly how can we even trust that any of these firms are selective

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AmericanEagleee

New

Post by AmericanEagleee » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 pm

bump

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:07 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
W&C had multiple GULC offers this year so frankly how can we even trust that any of these firms are selective
I mean, MTO takes from UCLA, so I guess T20 schools can send a few people to those kinds of firms with regional advantages.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:08 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
I mean, MTO takes from UCLA, so I guess T20 schools can send a few people to those kinds of firms with regional advantages.
savage

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bill_swerski wrote:
Lots of self selection this year. With the 2018 UofC class, Kirkland Chicago developed a reputation of being a bad place to work; a number of people with offers went elsewhere. Granted, K&E extended offers mostly to pretty high grades this year for whatever reason, so we had more than a few people pass on Kirkland for other lit/m&a powerhouses in other markets (Boies, W&C, Susman, Wachtell, Cravath).
They also sent total assholes to the interviews. One classmate didn't even accept a callback from them because their screeners were so odious; they told another classmate something pretty sexist; a third classmate got up and left their screener early. Not a good look, especially sharing a market with Sidley (which markets itself well as a friendly, polite place).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:06 am

K&E NY also developed this reputation at NYU's EIW. In particular the point about sending "total assholes to the interviews." By far the worst interview numerous students, including myself, experienced. For me, this was due to the almost comical bro/frat-ish behavior...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:K&E NY also developed this reputation at NYU's EIW. In particular the point about sending "total assholes to the interviews." By far the worst interview numerous students, including myself, experienced. For me, this was due to the almost comical bro/frat-ish behavior...
Please describe this comical bro/frat-ish behavior.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K&E NY also developed this reputation at NYU's EIW. In particular the point about sending "total assholes to the interviews." By far the worst interview numerous students, including myself, experienced. For me, this was due to the almost comical bro/frat-ish behavior...
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:39 am

Fried Frank (NYC) 48 2Ls and 2 1Ls

Harvard (4)
Columbia (3)
Penn (4)
Duke (1)
Fordham (3)
NYU (11)
Cornell (1)
Georgetown (3)
Indiana (1)
Virginia (1)
Chicago (1)
Cardozo (2)
St. Johns (1)
Rutgers (2)
SUNY Buffalo (1)
Brooklyn (2)
Hofstra (3)
NYLS (4)
CUNY (1)
Unknown (1)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:Fried Frank (NYC) 48 2Ls and 2 1Ls

Harvard (4)
Columbia (3)
Penn (4)
Duke (1)
Fordham (3)
NYU (11)
Cornell (1)
Georgetown (3)
Indiana (1)
Virginia (1)
Chicago (1)
Cardozo (2)
St. Johns (1)
Rutgers (2)
SUNY Buffalo (1)
Brooklyn (2)
Hofstra (3)
NYLS (4)
CUNY (1)
Unknown (1)
Impressive amount of love for the local schools

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:05 am

APKS NYC (24)

NYU - 3
Fordham - 3
BC - 3
Columbia - 2
GULC - 2
Brooklyn - 2
Penn - 1
Michigan - 1
Northwestern - 1
UCLA - 1
GW - 1
St. Johns - 1
Wisconsin - 1
Seton Hall - 1
Rutgers - 1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 am

Harvard (4)
Columbia (3)
Penn (4)
Duke (1)
Fordham (3)
NYU (11)
Cornell (1)
Georgetown (3)
Indiana (1)
Virginia (1)
Chicago (1)
Cardozo (2)
St. Johns (1)
Rutgers (2)
SUNY Buffalo (1)
Brooklyn (2)
Hofstra (3)
NYLS (4)
CUNY (1)
Unknown (1)
I'm fairly certain the unknown is WUSTL.

MurdockLLP

Bronze

Post by MurdockLLP » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Harvard (4)
Columbia (3)
Penn (4)
Duke (1)
Fordham (3)
NYU (11)
Cornell (1)
Georgetown (3)
Indiana (1)
Virginia (1)
Chicago (1)
Cardozo (2)
St. Johns (1)
Rutgers (2)
SUNY Buffalo (1)
Brooklyn (2)
Hofstra (3)
NYLS (4)
CUNY (1)
Unknown (1)
I'm fairly certain the unknown is WUSTL.
I'm fairly certain you are the unknown person.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:58 pm

White & Case (NY) 63 Total
Harvard (7)
Columbia (8)
NYU (4)
Chicago (2)
Penn (2)
Michigan (5)
Georgetown (6)
UVA (5)
Duke (3)
Cornell (3)
Univ. of Toronto (4)
Berkeley (1)
Fordham (3)
GW (2)
Notre Dame (2)
Emory (1)
BC (1)
W&M (1)
Hofstra (1)
McGill (1)
WUSTL (1)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:45 pm

cron1834 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1
Parts of this will sound unbelievable, but it really did happen to me. 2 interviewers: Late 30s male partner and young female associate. For the entire interview, male partner is on his iPhone. He occasionally smiles at his phone and grunts, suggesting he was not answering emails or doing anything work related. Male partner is very casually slouched back, half into the couch (we're in a hotel suite), while female associate is sitting normally on a chair. Male partner asks literally no questions and shows no interest in my responses. At the end, we get to talking about the actual office, and male partner tells female associate she should visit his new office, which is much larger than his old one, because now it better matches "other parts of him." He went back to his phone; we both awkwardly looked at each other and acted as if that didn't just happen.

Everyone else I knew who interviewed with them also said the male partner was on his phone, didn't say a word, and was generally rude/uninterested.

Didn't take the CB. I didn't know it was possible to think of oneself as so cool when your practice and life consists of tediously submitting SEC filings.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
+1
Parts of this will sound unbelievable, but it really did happen to me. 2 interviewers: Late 30s male partner and young female associate. For the entire interview, male partner is on his iPhone. He occasionally smiles at his phone and grunts, suggesting he was not answering emails or doing anything work related. Male partner is very casually slouched back, half into the couch (we're in a hotel suite), while female associate is sitting normally on a chair. Male partner asks literally no questions and shows no interest in my responses. At the end, we get to talking about the actual office, and male partner tells female associate she should visit his new office, which is much larger than his old one, because now it better matches "other parts of him." He went back to his phone; we both awkwardly looked at each other and acted as if that didn't just happen.

Everyone else I knew who interviewed with them also said the male partner was on his phone, didn't say a word, and was generally rude/uninterested.

Didn't take the CB. I didn't know it was possible to think of oneself as so cool when your practice and life consists of tediously submitting SEC filings.
Pretty sure I would have cracked up at that point.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:56 pm

Anyone got Boston classes?

ETA: tryna start a BU/BC fight for glory

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”