Waive into bar two years late? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Waive into bar two years late?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:15 pm

I didn't waive into the D¢ bar until a month ago, but I have been working as a lawyer in D¢ for two years. I looked into unauthorized practice of law and I haven't committed any of the violations.

I'm stressed about possibly being rejected from the bar. I work for a big firm, where this does happen regularly (know three others in same boat). However, the bar has been more stringent about the rules this past year and I am anticipating an investigation. It's stupid (I know) but I forgot to apply. My firm never communicated the importance (or the consequences) of applying. Looking at the rules now, if I applied asap, I still would have been outside of the 90 day window.

Has anyone ever had an issue with waiving in? I just want to know about the process from someone who has been through it before.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Waive into bar two years late?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:53 pm

does your firm bio say something like "not admitted in DC" & "practice supervised by active members of the DC bar"?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:05 am

Recently, I spent several months researching UPL issues with respect to several states, but not DC. This area is more complex than it may appear at first glance. Really depends upon the jurisdiction as to consequences. In some jurisdictions UPL is a felony, in most it's a misdemeanor & in some it is not a crime. Some jurisdictions aggressively pursue UPL complaints, while others are more lax & may just issue a cease & desist letter.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:06 am

For those attorneys that I advised, we used a specific strategy that resulted in no penalty, while all the others received penalties. I cannot share legal advice here for obvious reasons, however. In short, much depends upon the jurisdiction in question & the practice area & the specific type of work performed among several other factors.

P.S. Don't be lured into a sense of complacency by DC's "lobbyist exception" as those non-lawyers owning & working in DC law firms have very specific requirements that must be followed in order to fall under this exception.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 pm

Same situation in DC. Would be great if OP could provide an update about the consequences, if any.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”