NYC corporate to DC corporate lateral move Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
unas

New

NYC corporate to DC corporate lateral move

Post by unas » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:03 am

Hello!

Long-time lurker here. I didn’t find discussions on this issue, so I wanted to ask about the possibility of lateraling from NYC corporate work to some resemblance of corporate work in DC.

Some background (if you don’t mind my keeping it somewhat vague): I am a junior associate at a V10 NYC firm doing corporate work (exposure to bank finance and M&A). Graduated from CCN with honors.

Dilemma: I like the work and the firm but for family reasons my spouse would like to move and settle down in the Greater Washington DC area in a couple/several years’ time. The way I see it, I could either hope to get an in-house position with some company in the Greater DC area or lateral to some firm that is somewhat known for corporate work in DC, for example:
http://www.chambersandpartners.com/1224 ... torial/5/1

So my question is, how realistic is the latter? Does that ever happen?

Any insights are very welcome. Thank you!

unas

New

Re: NYC corporate to DC corporate lateral move

Post by unas » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:55 pm

Really, no one? I guess that may be telling in itself (that it's not a particularly common move for corporate associates).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:13 pm

unas wrote:Really, no one? I guess that may be telling in itself (that it's not a particularly common move for corporate associates).
I would think its pretty dam easy to lateral from a v10 corporate NYC to DC

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:35 pm

unas wrote:Hello!

Long-time lurker here. I didn’t find discussions on this issue, so I wanted to ask about the possibility of lateraling from NYC corporate work to some resemblance of corporate work in DC.

Some background (if you don’t mind my keeping it somewhat vague): I am a junior associate at a V10 NYC firm doing corporate work (exposure to bank finance and M&A). Graduated from CCN with honors.

Dilemma: I like the work and the firm but for family reasons my spouse would like to move and settle down in the Greater Washington DC area in a couple/several years’ time. The way I see it, I could either hope to get an in-house position with some company in the Greater DC area or lateral to some firm that is somewhat known for corporate work in DC, for example:
http://www.chambersandpartners.com/1224 ... torial/5/1

So my question is, how realistic is the latter? Does that ever happen?

Any insights are very welcome. Thank you!
I think pretty realistic. Assuming you're not already at Latham/Skadden/Kirkland?

unas

New

Post by unas » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks, that is very reassuring!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”