how bad is the market in big CA cities? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how bad is the market in big CA cities?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:58 am

I am a junior(1-2 yrs) at a large insurance defense factory trying to lateral. Licensed in CA. Is there such thing as a 1-2 yr lateral? How bad is the job market in major CA cities? Now that people are beginning to get their bonuses, will there be more openings? plz save me.

Anonymous User

Re: how bad is the market in big CA cities?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:09 pm

I am/was a noob and did not know the difference between insurance defense factory vs biglaw. 5 months in, i am regretting it badly. At least in biglaw u get the money. I make half what my biglaw friends make and bill just as much. Plus my boss is an insufferable screamer who makes everyone cry at least once.

Can a 5 month in junior lateral out without raising eyebrows from proslective employers? How do u not look like a flake by default?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:26 pm

I don't get the sense that the market in LA/SF is particularly bad at all. SF is a small market and never hires that many, but everything seems to be ticking along normally.

RickSanchez

New

Post by RickSanchez » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:07 pm

I don't know about the other cities/markets but SV was very busy last year. It's only January now but I expect this year to be just as busy if not more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:42 am

my emotional health is at risk at my current firm (my boss is a screamer/mean-spirited and anxiety filled). Can I possibly just quit without first finding another job or would that be a death blow to my career?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RickSanchez

New

Post by RickSanchez » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:my emotional health is at risk at my current firm (my boss is a screamer/mean-spirited and anxiety filled). Can I possibly just quit without first finding another job or would that be a death blow to my career?
You already know the answer to that. Just focus on finding A job before quitting. Cast a wide net: big law, mid law, PD, in house, clerkship, anything. Potential employers will think you were fired if you quit with nothing lined up. Harder to find a job if you are stigmatized as someone who was fired as a first year. Which is why WSGR is a shitty firm for firing 2+ first years for failing the CA bar exam. They also fired 2 laterals that failed the bar.

RickSanchez

New

Post by RickSanchez » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 am

And yeah, first and especially second year laterals are not unheard of. I really would look into SF/SV area if you are in LA. Moving to a different geographical area is a decent reason enough.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a junior(1-2 yrs) at a large insurance defense factory trying to lateral. Licensed in CA. Is there such thing as a 1-2 yr lateral? How bad is the job market in major CA cities? Now that people are beginning to get their bonuses, will there be more openings? plz save me.
Yes. There usually is a lot of movement after the date on which your firm pays bonuses. I'd start looking now if you haven't already.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:20 am

Arent bonuses usually paid out in January?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”